• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

truevision

Reaction score
i've just remembered that the reason for getting the sleeves taken in from the shoulders may be to slim it down as well

edit: she also said taking it up from the sleeve may make the stitching for the working button holes visible due to the thin material

fox81

Reaction score
its a double edged sword. taking sleeves up from the shoulders is a tricky job and its fairly easy to get the pitch wrong when putting it back together.

if they dont need that much shortening, just get it done via the cuff

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by truevision
I will ask again why she recommended the sleeves be shortened from the shoulders. She said the buttonholes would be made working for me at no cost. She also said that alot of their new suits are coming in with the buttonholes closed for a reason that escapes me

Working buttonholes on off-the-rack (OTR) suits irritate me.
I love Herringbone suits (and I have six or seven at present, plus a couple of jackets) but because the buttonholes are working I always have to have them taken up at the shoulder. This usually costs about $180. Ironically, to just add working buttonholes would cost less than half that!

It's good to know that Herringbone have stopped the practice of putting working buttonholes on at least some of their suits, particularly since I'm just about to buy the new silvery-grey suit that they have in stock as part of their Autumn-Winter range.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anybody been to the RM Williams shop where they sell factory seconds? anyone know what the price is?

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
- CUSS this places ***** me..
- shop around & save what 10%.. How much is your time worth (RHETORICAL Q)
- & no I am not angry today

When I purchased a couple suits last month Ethan said it was refreshing not to have someone request (demand?) free alterations. I was surprised someone would have the audacity to do so.

Originally Posted by Journeyman
Working buttonholes on off-the-rack (OTR) suits irritate me.
I love Herringbone suits (and I have six or seven at present, plus a couple of jackets) but because the buttonholes are working I always have to have them taken up at the shoulder. This usually costs about $180. Ironically, to just add working buttonholes would cost less than half that!

It's good to know that Herringbone have stopped the practice of putting working buttonholes on at least some of their suits, particularly since I'm just about to buy the new silvery-grey suit that they have in stock as part of their Autumn-Winter range.

Agreed. I'm lucky that their sleeves don't need a lot of altering (I have crazy orangutan arms)

ricotta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnsNotHere
Has anyone seen the range of C & J shoes at herringbone yet?

which models? what price?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the range of C & J shoes at herringbone yet?

Originally Posted by ricotta
which models? what price?

Prices for different models will reputedly range from $400 to near $800, which is quite a difference!

Models which will be stocked, according the catalogue that I just received a few days ago when I visited my local store, include the Sydney (loafer, 341 last); Lowndes (double monk, 348 last); Westfield (captoe brogue, 341 last); Edgeware (348); Belgrave (341); Onslow (325, with dainite sole); Poole (loafer, don't know the last); and a chukka boot (in suede, I think, and not the Tetbury).

Having had a look at some new additions to Herringbone's range, I must say that I am really impressed with what is in stores now and what is expected to arrive shortly, including the C&Js (which will be rolled out in central Sydney stores first and then (hopefully) out to other stores and other states). Ethan and others at Herringbone have really done a fantastic job with the new range and Ethan tells me that there is more great stuff on the way.

ricotta

Reaction score
ah nice.. kinda disappointed they're going with mostly 348/341s, but i guess those are the surer bets. i'll need to check if they're coming to Melbourne (should give American Tailors a run for their money).

choowy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
anybody been to the RM Williams shop where they sell factory seconds? anyone know what the price is?

I was at the RM Williams factory second shop on the Gold Coast last weekend. The factory seconds sell for $220.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Thanks for the post Journeyman... good to have some more info on the C & J range offered

Originally Posted by Journeyman
Prices for different models will reputedly range from $400 to near $800, which is quite a difference!

Models which will be stocked, according the catalogue that I just received a few days ago when I visited my local store, include the Sydney (loafer, 341 last); Lowndes (double monk, 348 last); Westfield (captoe brogue, 341 last); Edgeware (348); Belgrave (341); Onslow (325, with dainite sole); Poole (loafer, don't know the last); and a chukka boot (in suede, I think, and not the Tetbury).

Having had a look at some new additions to Herringbone's range, I must say that I am really impressed with what is in stores now and what is expected to arrive shortly, including the C&Js (which will be rolled out in central Sydney stores first and then (hopefully) out to other stores and other states). Ethan and others at Herringbone have really done a fantastic job with the new range and Ethan tells me that there is more great stuff on the way.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Don't see what the fuss is about. Both jackets are so-so... at best. The gorge on the 2nd one is going to date it terribly.

The fuss is about getting them for a few $ I suppose. But as we all know - the bargain often sits in the cupboard.

They wouldn't have worked for me at all - one I don't like DBs much anyway and I didn't go for the cut of the Zegan at all.

I must say that both looked much better on my mate who is tall than they do in the photos. The Sport coat in particular doesn't look as badly high buttoned etc in front.

fox81

Reaction score
When I purchased a couple suits last month Ethan said it was refreshing not to have someone request (demand?) free alterations. I was surprised someone would have the audacity to do so.

If you pay full price for the suit, then i think alterations should be included.

if its on sale, then you pay.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boots:

These boots are made in Alphington, Melbourne.

According Harolds (no not the Collins street mob) they aim for a higher standard than RMs and lower price point. They also said most RMs are made in Asia. (NTTAWWT)

They started off making for the horsey market and are still focused there.

md1_433b2d619714b.jpg

This one above is made for rodeo riders. So its a workboot. The little golf flap thing is removable. Kangaroo lining. Would work well as a street boot -jeans etc. Or if you were Keith Richard you could tuck your pants in the top.

This Catling Dress boot below has a nice covering of leather over the elastic each side and a buckle.

One thing I dislike about elastic sided boots is, er,....ahh... ,um,...... the elastic when it shows.
md1_4339eee928c3c.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads