1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Fellas, I'm calling a fit battle. That's the only SF way to settle this dispute.

fxh, GF, HC and I will be the judges, winner takes all; loser will be exiled to the Ask Andy forums.

2 people like this.
  2. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Sounds very familiar :) When do you get the shirt?

In other news, in Tokyo. over the weekend, I went to Joel Rubochon for lunch, had cocktails in the High Five bar at Ginza during a 5.5 earthquake, sampled 17 year old Yamazaki single malt in the Suntory Whisky Den, caught Paul McCartney at the Tokyo Dome last night, grabbed the bullet train to Kyoto and an just waiting to check in.

Also managed to find a copy of a Red Moon wallet a well as a thick grey sweatshirt from Hinoya under the rail line in Ueno and a second hand wool cap in Harajuku. Aside from that, there's been lots of photographic inspiration!

4 people like this.
  3. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

"Coming to you live from the word wide web - our next e-battle, is proudly sponsored by RMW!"

2 people like this.
  4. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

How did you know we all have RM boots?

5. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Oh you cheeky devil. So you did go to Roebuchon. Very envious....BTW, did you manage to check out Japanese made RTW shoes eg Shetland Fox etc?

Not much I can say about Kyoto unfortunately. Last time we were there it was bucketing down with rain, so we left and returned to Osaka. I think photography at the Shimizu temple will be quite stunning. If the weather is cool enough, you might consider a nice bowl of mocha with dessert in an old fashioned teahouse (not the geisha ones). Be very discreet with photographs, and absolutely no flash.

Not sure if you are headed to Osaka, but if you do, then the Shinsaibashi is a nice way to spend one afternoon.

1 person likes this.
  6. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

The risk of exile to AAAC is too much to bear. I am chickening out.

1 person likes this.
  7. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

I'll have a sneak preview at the first fitting in 6 weeks!

1 person likes this.
  8. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

Got measured on Saturday.

Your Japan trip sounds phenomenal, GN.

1 person likes this.
  9. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

A visitor!

Welcome. You sell some nice gear.

10. BaldwinP

BaldwinP Senior member

Words cannot express my jealousy. Well, except those words.

1 person likes this.
  11. couldnthaveknow

couldnthaveknow Senior member

Mate if you're still in Kyoto, I could highly recommend ginkaku ji (touristy) and ninnaji - this one's less touristy and probably quieter but I enjoyed it immensely. It's a short walk surrounding a lake but very tranquil

I also highly recommend trotting around gion at night - the origination of the geisha. To be honest, I can't think of many artists that are so few in number but have as strong or enduring a global cultural impact as the geisha (even though the most recent example is some random race related comments to peter alexander's japanese themed pajamas ad campaign)

Usually they come out around dinnertime (so 6pm onwards) and walk only from their living quarters (in the narrow laneways) to the restaurants they are performing at. Catching them on the way to their evening performance makes for some candid shots and most are quite happy to oblige. Culturally, geisha used to be many - including in tokyo. But, their art is a dying one and gion is probably the last place on earth to find them. Well and truly an endangered culture, worthy of some admiration in my opinion.

If you're up for it of course you can pay to eat at the restaurants where the geisha perform but I think that is a different feeling

btw ueno is nice isn't it? I mean, its different to ginza in the sense that tokyo residents obviously dont live in ginza but ueno seems to me to be somewhere locals actually shop! I always goign to places like that

And remember, when in doubt, bow, and dont mention the war. Joking. Gluck!

12. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Yeah, went to Roebuchon based on your recommendation [​IMG] - sensational food for very reasonable prices. Mocha sounds good! I never use flash in any case but I will make sure I'm very discreet - much easier to do that with a compact camera. We're looking at spending a day in Osaka and another day in Kobe as well - we're in Kyoto for 7 days and 6 nights. I didn't get to check out many of the Japanese made RTW shoes, just in passing but it seems that you can get most of the standard styles at many pricepoints which is a very good thing.

Yes, a visit to Gion is the plan for tonight - we just arrived and are here for the next 7 days. Ueno is lovely - the Origami museum leaves me feeling happy each time and the paper there is stunning! Thank you for the recommendations!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  13. lukejackson

lukejackson Senior member

[​IMG]

Also saw about 3 of these at the opshop.

14. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Oh merde, did I say Robuchon in Tokyo? I actually mean Hajime in Osaka. [​IMG]

When in Kyoto, you might be tempted to buy some green tea powdered mocha. Just remember that mocha without the bamboo whisk and a large bowl is useless (yup, I was too tight to get the damn whisk). Forgot to mention japanese rice wine from Niigata, another must try. Hakkaisan is the most available. Technically called nihonshu (or something like that), NOT sake.

If you are going for Kobe beef, probably need to tone down expectations, especially for the price you will be asked to pay. IMO not worth the price, but I do love Australian grass fed beef.

I'll try to rustle up a few more recommendations for simple and quick pleasures in Kyoto.

1 person likes this.
  15. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

Macha?

16. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

17. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

GN - get to Kiyomizu (or was is Chiomizu - Journeyman help!). Totally rad!

18. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Matcha. Oops, GN is now looking for a chocolate powdered drink.

19. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Those mongrel things are bad for my blood pressure.

20. iSurg

iSurg Senior member

Kyoto - I loved Gion and Nishiki Market! GN sounds like an epic trip!

I actually agree with settling things via fit battle. May the best fit pic win! Otherwise, moar fighting!!! Fight fight fight! Oli has the sharper tongue but is losing the good guy battle here. Free preservative artificial tears for the winner!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
    1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.