1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mezentius

mezentius Senior member

Nope, used car salesman.

And astrologer in my spare time.

1 person likes this.
  2. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Petepan/Oli and Mezentius - you guys are the best! Carry on!

A quick shout out to Nabil who suggested Orlebar Brown swimwear (this guy really knows his stuff). My pair arrived today and they are perfect - mine are navy and mid-length. The nylon is very soft and the construction (which is English) is sublime. If you are quite slim (don't have huge thighs), these will fit you perfectly. I suggest going for at least mid-length because any shorter and you'll be basically swimming with a wedgie. I really can't wait to jump into the surf! If anyone is holding out, don't - these are great, fit brilliantly, and have no branding on them. I am just spewing I didn't pick them up on special - I ended up forking out 135 pounds inc. delivery, alas, I won't be able to make it to Hong Kong this year :(.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  3. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

thebrownman

Here is a fine example of how to wear your Drakes maroon shantung tie from Antonio Cignoli of Eidos Napoli (and formerly of Michael Bastian).

http://instagram.com/p/g23lU0OeHm/
    [​IMG]

I am wearing mine today with a white shirt and navy suit which is a little more boring (there is a picture of me wearing it at the last Kimber event somewhere too).

Just had a funny thought today that although this is one of my favourite ties, if I ever moved back to Edinburgh I might be unable to wear it as it is the exact team colours of the rival Edinburgh football team to mine (and those things can matter there).

4 people like this.
  4. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Good to know JH - thinking I might look for a pair in the sales somewhere later in the year.

1 person likes this.
  5. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Definitely ouch thank you, not technical writing or procurement contracts.

6. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

7. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Using my Masters degree in Management of Technology from Melbourne to write capacity and performance requirements for a system that does not exist. :(

8. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Thanks, PS, looks fantastic!

Mine is a little different, though. Has a maroon base and then a mustard stripe through it..

9. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Yep, 30" waist gives you size 30! You'll find it ever so slightly loose, but that is what the side tabs are for. Though to be sure, I would avoid swimming commando, just in case.

These are above and beyond anything you could pick up at surf shops or retail chains here in Australia.

Waist is all you need to know.

10. deingesicht

deingesicht Senior member

Just pulled the trigger one a black pair of 905 Carmina chukkas from American Tailors.

Given that they generally have very narrow last, I was surprised at how perfect the Simpson last fit me. I have a pair in the Forest last in cordovan and they are very tight!

Also, has there been any new shops that sell good shoe trees? I went into Double Monk who sell generic ones for $49, but are out of stock.

1 person likes this.
  11. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Knew there was more than one reason I thought you were a good bloke.

1 person likes this.
  12. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Wrong. I can attest to their quality, and sizing being true with side tabs, I'm a 31 and went with a 32. But you need to know how long you want them to be, look at the different styles. Different lengths.

13. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

Mr Pan, I salute your noble intentions.

Unfortunately, it's not just finance/law that's gone down the shitter. Even more traditionally noble fields are being rapidly corrupted.

I'm droning on, so I should probably moot myself by now.

1 person likes this.
  14. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

---

15. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Yes, quite sad. Gresham's Law at work.

Not helped by idiots labelling distressed clients as cougars, and then going on ad hominem attacks without addressing the issue. On this point, I will NOT be mute.

2 people like this.
  16. lukejackson

lukejackson Senior member

Saw some finds at the opshop. Givenchy tie, Ralph Lauren loafers (women's) in dark brown alligator (?) skin with a significant heel, eton shirts, a suit made with holland and sherry fabric, zegna suit. All great, but all had minor flaws. The loafers were 35, in decent condition, is there a market for them online?

That's the most decent stuff I've seen at an opshop though. There were also a good deal of brands, Italian made, that upon googling I realised are quality. Also Pal Zileri bone pants in 54 perfect condition.

17. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

in my experience brands like Ralph Lauren, Armani etc sell, if the price is reasonable (CD and I were discussing this yesterday.

Would be interested to know the location of those PZ trousers (not sure if they would fit, but they sound great). CD has probably picked them up already.

18. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Bean counter, you have no authority whatsoever to speak on behalf of lawyers.

You attack my remarks whilst insulting people from rural areas, family law, small business and general courtwork, as if your glorified conveyancing denotes any "higher order thinking". Some image of respect in legal practice you promote.

The problem with the modern profession is that the whole Joe Flom movement let autistic chaf like yourself from in the rice fields. The lack of social skills and savant abacus play divorced it from any community, fraternity and sense of 'higher profession' it had.

Lol, I'm sure you're endowed with authority on the contracts floor you lightweight droll.

You think a lawyer's never made a remark about finding a client attractive? You really are a little savant aren't you?

1 person likes this.
  19. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Guys seriously.... I like you both but your being disrespectful to everyone else here that doesn't need to read all of this. Take it to PM if you really want to blue with each other. My advice would be to move on though, life's too short for petty arguments.

2 people like this.
  20. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.