• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I must be getting old after reading all the talk of shaving I am shaking my head in disbelief. I take my time to shave in the mornings, always have its one thing I refuse to rush, albeit with my beard I don't have as much surface area but for God sake it takes what five minutes a day? How can you rush shaving?

By the way I emailed that video to two friends of mine who are practitioners of the manly arts, in both their POV they reckon he is not lathering up enough, they both prefer face lathering and they do two passes. One mentioned Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap as being the best they have tried.

That said unless there is something special on for the weekend I don't shave Saturday and Sunday.

Got my trench coat out for a trip to the NLA today its 8c overcast potential rain with a projected high of 14c in Canberra today.

+1 - makes me glad that I've got a beard! It takes about two minutes to shave my cheeks above my beard and my neck below my beard each morning.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Couldn't help but laugh. My wife reckons I take too long in there just shaving my neck!
I use this stuff. It lathers clear so you can see what you're actually shaving, which is quite useful if you want to maintain a straight line on your beard etc. Lasts for ages as well.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw that email as well. Are there some blues there not available on the web store yet, anyone know when they are coming?

Edit: Notice the new ones are full blown cutaway collar too.
frown.gif
I think you will find all the shirts on the website - different lighting plays tricks on the eyes especially with stripes and the dove grey

http://www.pjohnsonshop.com/collections/shirts

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I AM: an audio engineer. I AM WEARING: everything from Jack London, from my sunnies to my socks. MY STYLE: is classic '60s mod. I ADMIRE THE STYLE OF: Nick Cave. He's really rock'n'roll and grunge with class. MY FAVOURITE LABELS ARE: Tom Ford - it's super classy and timeless. I love Vivienne Westwood because she started out in the punk scene and now she's gravitated to high-end fashion. MY FAVOURITE PLACE TO SHOP IS: Harrolds on Collins Street. They have really good customer service and they stock Vivienne Westwood and Tom Ford. MY BIGGEST FASHION MISTAKE WAS: double velvet, only yesterday. I wore black velvet pants with a black velvet trucker jacket. WHEN I WAS A KID: I used to dress up as a red Power Ranger. I WOULD NEVER BE CAUGHT DEAD: in shorts. I have really hairy legs.
Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/fashion/street-seen-20130511-2jecv.html#ixzz2TJc2yKsE

I saw this the other day in THE AGE.

I cannot identify even ONE item of clothing this bloke is wearing that qualifies as MOD. Not even by "fashion" writer standards. Going further I cant even see where he has a post modernist (note small but extremely relevant word play) approximation of MOD look or attitude. Let alone "classic 60s mod". No neatness or well tailored look.

In general I have a laissez-faire attitude to what others wear - otherwise I'd be in hospital - but sometimes I think it should be like the law - especially if your photo is in a "fashion" shoot - ignorance (of history and actual clothes) should be no defence.

A side note: I always assume that like flying first class, only people who aren't using their own money shop at Harrolds.

http://news.google.com.au/newspaper...DAAAAIBAJ&pg=4362,4918&dq=mods+sharpies&hl=en

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Mod? not even remotely reminiscent of the Melbourne Mod revival 1980 looks more like Crystal Ballroom post punk on any Saturday night in 1981.

Last edited:

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He sounds (and looks) like a complete knob. On the other hand, he is making an effort, and that is to be applauded.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In his favour, whilst it's not a great look (in my humble opinion), at least he looks interesting and looks as though he makes an effort, unlike so many people photographed for "street style" pages nowadays.

My particular bugbear is the street seen/scene (or whatever it's called) page in the free MX newspaper every week.

The women are sometimes interesting or well-dressed, but most of the men featured are wearing very ordinary shoes, very ordinary jeans/cotton pants/shorts, and a very ordinary shirt, and they say that the shop at Jay Jay's, Industrie or somewhere similar. How on earth are such people "stylish"? They're absolutely unexceptional, as they look like 99.9% of other, late-teen university students or shop assistants. Surely the "style" section should be used to show people who actually look stylish or, at the very least, look as though they make some effort to look a bit different from other people?

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
he must have been auditioning for pulp fiction back in 94 and couldnt peel the clothes off since then

PapaRubbery

Reaction score

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ Mod? not even remotely reminiscent of the Melbourne Mod revival 1980 looks more like Crystal Ballroom post punk on any Saturday night in 1981.
I would have said undertaker.

In his favour, whilst it's not a great look (in my humble opinion), at least he looks interesting and looks as though he makes an effort, unlike so many people photographed for "street style" pages nowadays.

My particular bugbear is the street seen/scene (or whatever it's called) page in the free MX newspaper every week.

The women are sometimes interesting or well-dressed, but most of the men featured are wearing very ordinary shoes, very ordinary jeans/cotton pants/shorts, and a very ordinary shirt, and they say that the shop at Jay Jay's, Industrie or somewhere similar. How on earth are such people "stylish"? They're absolutely unexceptional, as they look like 99.9% of other, late-teen university students or shop assistants. Surely the "style" section should be used to show people who actually look stylish or, at the very least, look as though they make some effort to look a bit different from other people?
MX... 'nuff said.

EL84

Reaction score
lachy - audio engineer - my arse.

Buggerising around with Pro Tools does not an audio engineer make

I'd have said Logic. After all it comes with loops and he's probably a producer too so they'd come in handy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics