• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am swathed in wool today. Feels great.

For those who have been caught short, Howard Yount still has heavier weight trousers on discount in some sizes...

I wore my new pea coat at long last.

Last edited:

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's so ******* cold, guys. I tell you. Holy ****. My Indian made bones are not cut out for this. I'm made for Linen in Summer..

PapaRubbery

Reaction score
Wore my flannel suit yesterday. The icy wind blowing across your face, but feeling warm everywhere else. Amazing.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So who still reckons you don't need a top coat in Melbourne in winter?

Given, how expensive a decent waterproof topcoat is (storm system), I really feel like gloves, v necks, scarves and a waterproof mac with a liner should be a much higher priority since they are much more versatile. There aren't more than 2 weeks of days in Melbourne that are truly topcoat worthy. And most days that are, are also wet. I'm not saying the topcoat doesn't have a place in a Melbourne wardrobe, I just don't think anyone should make it their priority.

Fair disclosure:this is written from the point of view of someone who doesn't feel the cold that badly. You skinny gents may beg to differ!

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Given, how expensive a decent waterproof topcoat is (storm system), I really feel like gloves, v necks, scarves and a waterproof mac with a liner should be a much higher priority since they are much more versatile. There aren't more than 2 weeks of days in Melbourne that are truly topcoat worthy. And most days that are, are also wet. I'm not saying the topcoat doesn't have a place in a Melbourne wardrobe, I just don't think anyone should make it their priority.

Fair disclosure:this is written from the point of view of someone who doesn't feel the cold that badly. You skinny gents may beg to differ!

I'm currently 61 kilos!

Agree that a mac with a liner is a great option and I wasn't suggesting a waterproof topcoat, just a warm three quarter length wool or wool cashmere combo. I have found decent ones are hard to find apart from Henry Bucks (don't want to pay that inflated coin).

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm currently 61 kilos!

Agree that a mac with a liner is a great option and I wasn't suggesting a waterproof topcoat, just a warm three quarter length wool or wool cashmere combo. I have found decent ones are hard to find apart from Henry Bucks (don't want to pay that inflated coin).

In that case, you need to be looking into one of these :p

Yes the cost is definitely the thing with topcoats. Just my opinion, but I reckon the first nice business coat you get should be waterproof, so that's it a bit more versatile (in rainy Melbourne). The lack of cheaply available waterproof topcoats (Loro Piana storm system is the only waterproof wool I am aware of, and anything made out of that is fiendishly expensive) leads me to believe the more widely available Mac is a better option for most people when starting out, given that your budget is better spent on suits and shirts, really. Big timers will, of course, own both.

Also most of us tend to go to work on PT, and topcoats can also leave you baking/bulky.

Happy to be corrected if anyone can point out a good source for them?

Last edited:

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It's so ******* cold, guys. I tell you. Holy ****. My Indian made bones are not cut out for this. I'm made for Linen in Summer..

You want to live in Bleak City? Deal with it! :lol:

nabilmust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you're back! buy much ?

no time this time - just picked up 2 pairs of supergas. Not too much of a tragedy, will be going back there in a couple of weeks.

Did a quick recon into Uniqlo and Muji - all spring/summer goodies. Some of the printed shorts in uniqlo were not too bad. They were also clearing out their machine-washable wool cardis for $18.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes I completely agree :)

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes I completely agree :)

Today, I wore a three quarter length raincoat, HC cashmere gloves and a cashmere scarf over my suit. Warmest I've ever been in weather like this.

The gloves are exceptional for me. Leather gloves have never kept me as warm as these cashmere gloves. I have them in navy and plan to get a pair in gray as well.

Tomorrow is expected to get even colder than today. I find that the cold by itself is OK but chilly winds get to me.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In that case, you need to be looking into one of these :p

Yes the cost is definitely the thing with topcoats. Just my opinion, but I reckon the first nice business coat you get should be waterproof, so that's it a bit more versatile (in rainy Melbourne). The lack of cheaply available waterproof topcoats (Loro Piana storm system is the only waterproof wool I am aware of, and anything made out of that is fiendishly expensive) leads me to believe the more widely available Mac is a better option for most people when starting out, given that your budget is better spent on suits and shirts, really. Big timers will, of course, own both.

Also most of us tend to go to work on PT, and topcoats can also leave you baking/bulky.

Happy to be corrected if anyone can point out a good source for them?

I'm not starting out and have an old top coat I want to replace.

Last time I looked Henry Bucks had them on sale mid year for about $800. Have never needed a waterproof one, umbrella takes care of that.

Can I wear the puffy shirt with the puffy coat?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads