• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

charliechan

Reaction score
. Cheers. Yep . That's the missus' rack. she has three racks where I only have 3 pairs of shoes. Ill have to find somewhere safe for them away from the entryway.

Does anyone know much about Double Monk? I've heard a lot on hear about how competitive their pricing is for saphir products but how are they for trees? And shoes for that matter? Are they as bad as Djs and HB for markups or are they more reasonable?

Great service from DB, in-store and via e-mail.. Chris is a very nice guy and certainly knows his shoes.

I think they are very competitive with their pricing.. I think for C&Js around 10% difference compared to Pediwear? I also bought a pair of bench made Cleverleys which seemed reasonable given the brand reputation but I have no reference points to their pricing (if anyone does, please enlighten us).

A bit trickier if you don't live in Melbourne, but maybe as they get their business rolling they will have trunk shows interstate :) Plus you can give your shoes to them to ship back to Northampton for resoling.. so I hope they are around for a long time (not that I've ever had my shoes resoled).

lennier

Reaction score
Has anyone used Universal Shoe Repairs in South Melbourne (near the market) for Topy? I asked them for their pricing when I had a couple of toe caps fitted and they said $38, which from memory is pretty competitive if they do a decent job. #dontmentiontopy

coxaca

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've got a couple of pairs of Santoni and have had a couple more in the past, but have bought all of mine from overseas so can't help with a local supplier, I'm afraid.

I got mine from eBay, from the Buying and Selling subforum here on SF, and from Shop The Finest.
Thanks Journeyman, and Quarks too, for your replies.

I'm looking at a pair of Santonis from shopthefinest.com. My existing pair of Santonis are Santoni size 9.5 (= EU 43.5). I usually take a 44. This pair were tight for a while but now fit comfortably. Journeyman, what has been your experience with Santoni's sizing? The reason I'm asking is that the pair I am looking at are also a 9.5, there is no stock in 10 (= EU 44).

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mini shopping spree this arvo.

2 x Kamakura Oxford BD's in both shades of blue

1 x pair of brown suede chukkas and brown suede belt from Meermin. Got my "ready to ship" email with a payment request in 2 hours!

That'll do me for a bit, still have mothers day shopping to go, with a mum and a wife to buy for this year.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
. Cheers. Yep . That's the missus' rack. she has three racks where I only have 3 pairs of shoes. Ill have to find somewhere safe for them away from the entryway.
It is Friday, and after a drink or two, this could so be taken/interpreted the wrong way!!
biggrin.gif

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks Journeyman, and Quarks too, for your replies.

I'm looking at a pair of Santonis from shopthefinest.com. My existing pair of Santonis are Santoni size 9.5 (= EU 43.5). I usually take a 44. This pair were tight for a while but now fit comfortably. Journeyman, what has been your experience with Santoni's sizing? The reason I'm asking is that the pair I am looking at are also a 9.5, there is no stock in 10 (= EU 44).

I have 3 or 4 pairs of Santonis, all of which I bought on sale from Luisa's. No way would I buy them at Harrolds prices, as I believe they are all blake-stitched, even the Fatte a Manos. Luisa doesn't stock as many as they used to, but they still have the odd pair.

The FAMs are really the best choice; their regular line can be fairly ugly.

I think fit tends to vary with their lasts. Overall, I think they tend to fit about a half size larger than my usual size. I'm a UK 10.5E, and the monks I bought in that size ar a touch too long. I have a pair of size 10 suede brogues that fit well. That would seem to align with your experience.

I really do like the Santonis I've got. When I spit-shine my burgundy wingtip monks, they never fail to draw compliments.

Last edited:

Lowly Public Servant

Reaction score
This has nothing to do with menswear, or clothes in general, but I do think it has a lot to do with style (i.e. the ACT government has none).

I am conflicted. On one hand I am appalled that this will be flying overhead this week because quite frankly I think it is the most ugly, needlessly expensive and pointless hot air balloon ever. Conversely (and possibly perversely) I am really looking forward to seeing it grace the national capital skies, even if it is only for a day or two.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/art...lloon-under-fire/story-fn9d3avm-1226639530619

jobro

Reaction score

This has nothing to do with menswear, or clothes in general, but I do think it has a lot to do with style (i.e. the ACT government has none).

I am conflicted. On one hand I am appalled that this will be flying overhead this week because quite frankly I think it is the most ugly, needlessly expensive and pointless hot air balloon ever. Conversely (and possibly perversely) I am really looking forward to seeing it grace the national capital skies, even if it is only for a day or two.

Here is an image for anyone not interested in watching those god awful, advertisment ridden, Australian news site videos.

http://www.styleforum.net/content/type/61/id/804291/width/350/height/700
[IMG]http://www.styleforum.net/content/type/61/id/804292/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

I think the design is somewhat ugly (perhaps due to natural colours of the animal), especially closeup, but also it's pretty cool at the same time.

Last edited:

swan

Reaction score
Yeh i have seen a few pairs on Santoni in Luisa and they are always having sales there as well

Last edited:

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright. This weeks questions for those up to the task:

1) where is the best place in aus to get a pair of chinos that will take you from a beer at the pub in a t shirt to high tea in an odd jacket and brogues?

2) what do you guys do in terms of key rings? I'm looking for a bottle opener one that still has a sense of elegance.

Last edited:

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alright. This weeks questions for those up to the task:

1) where is the best place in aus to get a pair of chinos that will take you from a beer at the pub in a t shirt to high tea in an odd jacket and brogues

Owen and James. they has sale on their chinos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads