1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxh

fxh Senior member

My supplier tells me that the old Diamant is now all re-branded to 1909 from now on. Seems to be the same stuff comparing my jars.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  2. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Collonil is easier to apply and brings a better shine than Saphir IMO. Saphir cream leaves a thick gunk if applied too much or in dry weather. Plus Collonil easier to buy locally.

Some pics of today's outfit (apologies for poor phone pics):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Suit: PS London Byard
    Shirt: Ingram
    PS: Paul Smith
    Tie: Thomas Pink
    Shoe: Carmina Burgundy Shell

2 people like this.
  3. fxh

fxh Senior member

I usually have the work experience kid keep me up to date – sorry about this week. But be reassured as you all know:: Ref: Matthew 18:20 Oli
    First you say publicly you'll kill for a Loake shop then this! Is there a specific type of law related to funerary and cremation services? eg, when someone is booked for improper cremation, mortuary services etc? or is it simply a conflation of other areas such as local council and planning, administrative and contract? I think you'd better see someone and have a chat and/or stop snorting that crack and listening to bad gangsta rap. Killing and disposing of a body is not a good look – on the oz clothing thread – more suited to The Conversation.
    Bunnywunny
    – You just missed the LE 30% off everything sale. In addition their postage is now cheaper to oz and I understand they are about to standardise postage to oz – to the same as USA and free offers – I think. As regards chinos – boring – I wasn’t aware chinos were meant to be exciting or whatever. For some reason I am not privy to, LE has drastically reduced their range/models of chinos in the last 12 months. There used to be many more options. The ones I like are no longer made/offered. They were thicker material but soft and cut a bit narrow all the way and with a nice high rise. I used to order them by the product number # to be sure. They haven’t been on their website for over 12 months but earlier this year I found out they had some in the warehouse so I ordered the last 6 in my size – or anyone’s size – for $6 each {wink} they are still in the box waiting til I wear out my current 7 pair. The ones left that LE do sell vary a lot the main difference is that they seem to be lowering the rise each iteration – so that the skinny ones are silly low. In addition depending on the vagaries of manufacturing their models will vary somewhat in colours and material and some details. Can be frustrating. I do have one older pair of their “originals” and they are slightly wider at cuff and a bit loose around legs and lighter material – but good in their own way for hotter weather. If you poke around on their site you will see that there are a few .pdfs on some models that gives measurements like rise etc. Best with LE to wait till they have 30% off everything – order one of every model and a size up or down and – then try them all on. Then for $10 you can send what you don’t want back.
    The ties that bind.
    Deliberately having the back blades longer or the whole thing hanging down the fly below belt line, like you left “accidently” your dick out, is just too try hard. HC is right. This is the way to put on your tie if you are a man.
    Shirts This shirt of PG is a far superior fit than that body hugging thing of the Italian bloke.
    Shoes – Price of - “Investments” – NPV
    Shoes aren’t an investment. They are an important item of clothing you utilise and eventually wear out. They do not offer an income or even capital protection (Unless s you are meister) . Unfortunately my Business Studies Intern is away this week . I asked her to do a NPV on Aquila and Meermin and Carminas. She rushed off without thinking, as do all that mob, and has gone off to Cuba to a cigar factory to interview Carmen and see the musical, with a side trip to Africa to photograph meerkats and look for eagles and get their discount rate and cash flow. Don’t forget that initially $600 has to be borrowed @ 5%? Or perhaps, for most, CC rates of 20%
    If the shoe fits
    The trouble is shoe fitting is partly an art and not an exact science. Overlaid with fashion, aesthetics, cost considerations and perceived peer pressure. Its easy to get the art/science mix wrong. Even experienced people get online shoe ordering wrong. Not to mention mix ups – cough cough – where you get a pair of steel capped safety work boots instead of those pink suede tasseled loafers that match you pink socks - or something. cough cough
    Clothing forums seem to be in a parallel universe whereby penniless young students have more disposable to spend on expensive clothing than income earning individuals.

2 people like this.
  4. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Please elaborate on this.

5. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

+1 !

6. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

7. JayH

JayH Senior member

Breaking in shoes and denim at the same time can be painful.

[​IMG]

8. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

I knew this might pique your interest (or perhaps it's just compounded it?) I should have chosen my words more carefully. Not an investment in the purely financial sense - the return is non monetary (i.e. clean, dry feet). But you knew that!

Edit: Just realised you weren't referring to my lazy description of my boots as a "good investment", but rather the "is a $400 shoe a better investment than a $300 one" tripe that was banging on a couple of pages ago. Who cares right?

9. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Also bear in mind, people choose to show their wealth differently.

Like you come across as a bit of a thrifter Fxh, but I can quite confidently say that you own more suits than I have ever bought underwear in my life - probably socks and underwear combined. You own that many suits - something a student couldn't do.

Dartagnan Red is another example. He claims to be a 'poor student' yet can afford to have lavish international holidays where he swans around Ralph Lauren stores and 'Purple Label' levels which allows him to bash the stores here. See I'd have no idea what a Ralph Lauren store would be like in Hong Kong, because poor students don't go to Hong Kong.

AND THEN, when poor students such as myself ask a business like Suit Shop - 'how much is a suit' we get called 'time wasters' because we don't follow through with an order.

Basically, my point is, the poorer people are far more talk, then they are buy. We need to have a discussion about it, because we can't just shrug and say, 'yeah I'll try that'. *I had to consult this thread before I bought underwear!*

10. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

If your budget is say

Live at home don't pay bills...
    Spending money from from the ~35 $/hr tutoring job. Even say 10 hrs a week 20 paid weeks -- ~7k
    Work over the summer (FT) ~7-12k

~14-20k year all of which is savings / free spending.

If you live away from home you (may) get youth allowance + RA to cover bills. (~15k year)

11. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

How much dynamite you want for those bridges jimmy?

5 people like this.
  12. Prince of Paisley

There is a theory that all the real bigtimers don't even post on the forums. They just buy the stuff quietly in the background... It's a decent rule actually but there are exceptions.

1 person likes this.
  13. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Prince of Precisely.

That's exactly my point. It's the people hovering over this thread and the forum that are keeping the cogs turning.

14. Prince of Paisley

1. Beautiful shoes. 2. Not my style but the tie is ok on its own. 3. I've never heard of Ingram, but that shirt looks more like Tarocash to me. 4. Is that a dead parrot stuffed in your pocket Pete or are you just happy to see us? ;-)

15. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

Another similar point to JimmyHoffa's is that you (probably) wear MC stuff less often so the reduction in number isn't as much of a big thing.

1 person likes this.
  16. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Really wish I could make the rain last work for me, those shoes are beautiful.

17. Liber

Liber Senior member

Thanks for the replies on the shoe polish gents. I'm in the territory, all we have here is a country road, RM Williams and a small menswear retailer... Makes it extremely hard to buy just about anything.

1 person likes this.
  18. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Thanks PoP. The shirt and the PS are presents from The One Who Controls The Family Budget, so we need to be careful here. Ingram=Inghirami Clothing from Italy, and the shirt is actually pretty decent and gets the occasional compliments. As for the dead parrot, I am just trying to catch up with the Loud Brigade.

19. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

People get too anal about lasts. I have Carminas on the Rain last and also on the Simpsom last. I've ordered a pair on the Soller last and another on the, oh I can't even remember its name. All completely different. I just stuff my feet in them and off I go. Bit if slop here and there, bit of tightness somewhere else, who gives a shit. It's not like I'm going to be hiking the Himalayas in them.

3 people like this.
  20. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Rain is already wide fitting and generous. Specifically why wont it work for you? If too roomy, that would be great as you can go the Simpson. If Rain still too narrow, then you will need extra wide fitting shoes. This basically rules out most Italian and French stuff, and a big majority of Meermin and Carmina's. UK shoes in G fitting would be a bet. I wont mention the blobby US stuff.

BTW, I have the same Grenson Fred brogue boots which you bought a few weeks back. That is a G fitting, so how is your fit with that shoe?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.