1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

I moustache with shoe or without. I just moustache.

2. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  3. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

So much boner, so quickly.

Amazing, I love 'em.

1 person likes this.
  4. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

I found them on Farfetch. I normally take a size 9.5 in Carmina and these were 10, so I was worried...indeed they are just slightly roomy on my feet, but inserts solved that problem and they have become one of my favourite pairs of shoes. They do attract rain though.

5. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

I suppose it is the Rain last, pun intended of course? Or is it Homer Simpson? Very nice color, looks like cognac?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  6. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Petepan: "Show me the MONEY!" Nabil: "Yeah, very funny, Jerry Maguire right?" Petepan: "No, that is Mrs Petepan." Nabil: "Let me see you NPV that, smartass!"

3 people like this.
  7. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Mass produced shoes are commodities, and commodities are inevitably priced at a cost plus basis. It is precisely because of cutthroat competition that any cost advantages are passed along in order to compete on price. This is a direct quote from Buffett in his BRK 1979 letter to shareholders. Further, one of Buffett's bad acquisitions were Dexter shoes, which wilted under the pressure of cheaper imports. This happened in the90s and again, can be found in BRK letters.

Would that be enough to shut you up?

ps Baltic Dry Index is not an index for oil prices.

8. Romp

Romp Senior member

Read a sizing thread, take a punt, I've got a pair that doesn't fit well and gathering dust

Currently $175 but start of the year I'll have some for about $150 or a bit less.

9. wurger

wurger Senior member

Perkal Bros Shoes in action

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

haha im pretty sure that's what the guy(s) are afraid of although its not that bad...$400 pair of shoes that don't fit vs sending them back for $80...taking the total cost to $480 but again vs having $400 sit there gathering dust.

11. mezentius

mezentius Senior member

Well, I would agree with everything you said - if we're talking about a static market in a spherical vacuum. However, this isn't macroeconomics 101, and the reality is, believe it or not, somewhat more complicated than what Buffett would have you believe.

The most obvious point I would question is in using examples from the 80s and 90s to justify why Aquila can continue to drop labour costs in the present day Australian market. Basically, in the 90s you had the biggest source of manpower in Asia and China opening up to trade, giving you an enormous source of cheap labour. Where's your billion workers willing to accept a low enough wage to make shifting capital profitable today? No matter how smart or right Buffett might be, with the wrong interpretation and application his words mean nothing.

P.S. I thought the Baltic Dry index was some transportation cost thing, which I just equate to oil prices because it's the cost with most variance?

Edit: Oh yeah, and game theory. But I think neither you nor I want to listen to me harp on about how people are wankers all night long.

1 person likes this.
  12. wurger

wurger Senior member

If you measure your feet correctly, check the Brannock sizing scale, ask the manufacturer or the vendor, before SF.

You should at worst get within half a size of your correct fitting, and should error on the slight large size, since an insole can make up the half size difference.

13. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

14. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

[/quote]

We are not talking about Aquila shoes only. We are talking about cheap shoes. In over 30 years of shopping for shoes, there was never any trouble in finding shoes between the 10to 50 bucks range. Price inflation in this area appears non existent. Same cant be said with high end shoes though.

As to decreasing costs, human inqenuity, evil selfish capitalism and technology always find a way. I am happy to make a bet with you that in 50 years time, the inflation adjusted costs of producing basic commodities will be much lower than what it is today.

In any case, it was just a good natured ribbing intended. Plus i am genuinely interested in your views of decreasing costs versus inflation. PM if interested in taking further.

Ps hehe, to be pedantic, biggest variance factor for baltic is capacity.

1 person likes this.
  15. mezentius

mezentius Senior member

Hm, I came a bit late to the discussion and intruded into the bit where we were talking about Aquila. I think I can agree with you entirely on the cheap basic shoes, rather than the entry level fashion brands who have more significant costs than just the materials and labour going into the product.

Apologies if i sounded a bit condescending or aggressive - I tend to do that when talking about economic theory - just a habit after seeing it often misused by the neocons/libertarians - you can be assured that I was only chucking ribs your way as well.

1 person likes this.
  16. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

How is the leather quality?

1 person likes this.
  17. wurger

wurger Senior member

pretty average, rough finishing too, due to their old age.

1 person likes this.
  18. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

^ I'm surprised those shoes don't look better.

19. meister

meister Senior member

Forget Saphir. It stinks. Use Collonil 1909.

20. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Same shit, different smell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.