1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nolvadex

Nolvadex Senior member

A leather sole would probably wear through pretty quickly if you are walking around in them every day rain, hale or shine.

2. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

Sorry Jimmy(can't believe I'm calling you that now) I don't agree with you.

Having owned Aquila's etc, I seen them disintergrate quickly, crease heavily all with a short life Span. I use to clean & polish etc, which kept them presentable(subjective) however this did not prevent them falling apart.

My CJs on the other hand are worlds away-admittedly I spend more time cleaning, conditioning and polishing that's because I'm proud of them and want them to look their best. They are not deteriorating and look classic and sharp.

My grandfather once picked up an old sideboard from the tip, restored it, 60 yrs later it sits proudly in parents house with their other antiques-why? Quality mate, it stands the test of time, through its materials and construction. Like a good shoe it needs maintenance/labour of love, they do however go the distance

PS using the name Hoffa you need to swear more...

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
    3 people like this.
  3. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Yep. Better quality-made items last longer, that's the truth of it.

4. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

It's not just that they last longer. My supervisor goes through 2 to 3 pairs of shoes a year. The most recent pair are 2 months old and already look like they've been through the wars. A good pair of shoes won't just last longer, they'll look much better longer too. I still get comments on my 'nice new shoes' even though they're almost 2 years old.

2 people like this.
  5. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

A lot of people ordering carminas lately. A lot more commenting on the difficulty of orderi g without trying on. Leads me to wonder why so many of these purchasers have been happy with their orders.
    So how are you guys all negotiating the sizing/fit issue so well? Is there a trick to it we don't know about or are you all just super lucky?

6. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Just gonna jump in and suggest a lot of the people commenting/ordering are old hands...by that I mean guys who have tried on / own carminas previously and or they've extensively read the carmina sizing thread. lastly Betty is pretty helpful in terms of sizing questions.

7. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

8. meister

meister Senior member

I got a pair of Carminas recently on the Forest last in 10.5 and I would describe them as a close to 10.5F/EUK small US 11E but a bit more like a 10.5FUK Churchs. Like an EUR44.5 in fact. I am a straight UK10 normally so I'll put an insert in to take up the extra volume.

A pair of dub monks I had in 10 Carmina were actually more like 9.5UK. Narrower last.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  9. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

I have to say, I don't think this is a particularly well fitting shirt. The shoulders are too wide for him and the bagging around the waistband looks like he bought it on sale at Myer and hasn't had time to take it to his tailor yet. (Also what I presume is the monogram looks like he splodged biro ink on himself but that's beside my point...)

Generally I like a slim cut shirt, mostly because I am slim. I also like to eat, sit, drive a car etc. But rather than have a fuller (i.e. wider) cut shirt I have them cut longer - then 'give' in the shirt is vertical rather than horizontal. So you can sit down in your low rise pants and not have your shirt come untucked, or feel like you're wearing a boa constrictor. When you stand up, tuck it in and it will look as slim as MM on a diet.

The other key is having pants that fit properly - if the waistband is too loose your shirt will work up and bag excessively as you move. MM looks to have his trous well cinched at the waist, which no doubt helps to keep his shirt from escaping.

1 person likes this.
  10. Prince of Paisley

In other words, they have already made their sizing mistakes and learned from them!

11. Prince of Paisley

You can still get RM boots for $325 from the many Aussie online guys - and you can try on in an RM store without too much trouble if you want to make certain of your size.

I'm wearing my storm welt RMs today actually as it's pissing down. They have been a good investment.

12. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Re Carmina's the Rain last is a broad eg EE US or G UK ? Yes? No?

13. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

You beat me to it, PoP. I don't know why GW's picture being quoted as an example of a well fitted shirt precisely for the reasons you've mentioned.

14. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Heartily seconded. Shell cordovan shoes at about $630, and shell boots at about $720. Will last way longer than RMW crap, and looks a whole lot better too.

1 person likes this.
  15. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

So my Carmina finally arrived - only problem is they have sent tan leather double monks not brown suede string loafers...oh dear.

Hopefully this will be easy to sort.

My wait for the string loafers continues....

1 person likes this.
  16. Prince of Paisley

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  17. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Narrower than a G UK by a smidgin.

18. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Anyone else get put off my slight differences in prices? I finally decided to go with the Carmina shell burgundy Soller boots (have admired them from a far every since Gerry showed them off earlier in the year) I thought the price was around $680 but with the paypal conversion rates it puts it up at over $700 now im having second thoughts. I know the actual dollars haven’t changed that much but just that extra threshold moving into the 700 mark.

Ah well reality is you can’t get shell boots much cheaper than that but yeah I’ve gone from being pumped to thinking its crazy to spend that much on shoes/boots.

19. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Alden's are USD$667 plus shipping and out of stock until March 2014.

Meermin's are cheaper but not Horween shell.

These boots will last you a lifetime, unless your feet shape changes. Even then, the boots will change and shape to your feet to a certain extent.

Buy the damn things if you can afford it. I really cannot see shell boots getting cheaper in the future unless the AUD goes 2:1 USD.

20. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Wow, how did they stuff that up?

There must be some poor sod on the other side of the world looking at some brown suede string loafers, going 'wtf are these'?

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.