• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm back from Malaysia and ended up getting a bunch of stuff which I used quite a bit while I was over there: C&J suede loafers from P Lal and from Uniqlo, some linen shirts, a linen sportscoat, selvedge jeans, vintage flat-front chinos and a bunch of socks and t-shirts.

I also paid a visit to Vanda Fine Clothing in Singapore, met up with Gerald and Diana, passed on all your regards and ended up having a tie made for me which was freaking awesome!

All in all, I met a bunch of great people, ate some fantastic food, brought back a bunch of clothes which I'm looking forward to using and even had a photo of mine appear on the Tumblr radar while I was there! Couldn't really ask for more in a holiday
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Joiji, thanks for the recommendation on the grey cardigan. I ended up getting one from Herringbone just before I left for Malaysia.

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Speaking of DB suits, here are a few photos of an RL Purple Label glen plaid DB that I wore last week, along with a Deer Style shirt (made from Acorn cloth), a Marinella tie and Ferragamo Tramezza chocolate brown suede shoes:

Wow the Ralph Lauren fabric is amazing. I love RL....

iSurg

Reaction score
I have to agree with Romp and say that I quite like the aesthetic of the Orazio PJ DB. I think there is some drape inferior to the pulling button.

For definition of drape - see
http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/...4066-Can-someone-define-quot-drape-quot/page2
http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?53523-Please-define-the-term-quot-Drape-quot

As for the pulling of the jacket on the buttons, that's an actual Italian style for suiting. I'm not particularly well travelled in Italy, but speaking to Tom (who has travelled extensively for work), Italian men love to have their jackets super tight in the chest with pulling on the button (and Italian women go crazy for it). So, in this case, it's deliberate and not poor tailoring. The reason why the shoulder has a couple folds on the lapel and the top of the shoulder is simply this - there is no effing padding. None. Just a small oval shaped lining (not even a canvas) over the top of the arm hole. Hence, he could have adjusted his jacket prior to photo taking (as many SF ilk do), but fuk it, he didn't. It is still an amazing jacket.

I don't know about any of you, but if I had to choose between huntsman and orazio, I would choose orazio. It gets me going crazy, and I'm more in love with the Italian tailoring aesthetic than the stiffer-looking British tailoring. Finally, I don't think you can comment adequately until you've tried one of the jackets on. It feels like you are not wearing one at all. Period.

Last edited:

iSurg

Reaction score
Quote:
The jacket fits horribly. I am sorry but its a prime example of ill fitting jacket.
I have LBM 1911 soft suit in navy flannel . Unlined with hand pick stitching it drapes beautifully.
This is not my picture. But this my suit.

The fit on this model is less than ideal.
1. collar gap
2. poor shoulders ie. horizonal mappina, I guess, lol
3. bowing chest lapel.

Last edited:

streetminimal

Reaction score
Nice haul Gez! Were you there during the general election stuff happening?

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol. Thanks for your informative post. If you look at Lino,s db jackets its fitted and pulling a button but not so silly . There is difference between fully fitted and simply tight. And what you call fitted I may call tight .and I am sorry if I offended anyone in this forum. Everyone has a right to dress the way they feel comfortable .

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I seemed to be a natural when it came to safety razor shaving; it takes practice for most but first day I tried I got it with ease, with only one minor cut and babays bum skin as the result. Though I think the blades which you use have a lot to do with it as well as first time I tried feather I received quite a bit more cuts than the average. I also have very hardy skin that lets me take 3+passes.
P.S. got my nephew a safety razor kit from mensbiz for his 16th a month or so back! It's great wish I had started shaving when mensbiz was in bizness.
Any aftershave reccomendations? Just ran dry this morning T_T

I just received an order from mensbiz and it contained sample of GF Trumper Sandalwood cologne very evocative scent reminds me of 1960's aftershave. Penhaligons Sartorial good for winter nice warm tones or Opus 1870. Taylors of Old Bond St citrus but a warm citrus, CD is more informative with the descriptive language here I think.

Last edited:

Robert Meredith

Reaction score
On the subject of shaving, I signed up to dollar shave club recently and pick up their Executive Razors for $10 every two months. The razors are pretty good.

http://au.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/index/r/5i0/10hg8mh/s/tx/cx/1/ (that's my referral link)

http://au.dollarshaveclub.com/ (clean link)

I find they're probably not quite as good as the Fusion, but a hell of a lot cheaper.

I know you can pick up 80 packs of Gillette Mach 3's on eBay for about $110 as well.

re: gloves. Thoughts on these?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SOUTHCOM...317&pid=100033&prg=1011&rk=1&sd=400221391236&

Handsewn, made from lamb nappa leather, lined with cashmere and wool. About $75 inc P&H.

Last edited:

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lol. Thanks for your informative post. If you look at Lino,s db jackets its fitted and pulling a button but not so silly . There is difference between fully fitted and simply tight. And what you call fitted I may call tight .and I am sorry if I offended anyone in this forum. Everyone has a right to dress the way they feel comfortable .

I don't think you need to apologise it's good for us to have these kind of debates without it turning in to an argument as it would on most other threads on the forum.

When I get some more time i'll put some more thoughts down on what I see to be the ideal way a coat should fit, and explore drape a little bit more also without getting too nerdy about it all.

Anyway here is what I'm wearing today -

Coat: Herringbone Sydney
Shirt: Cottonwork
Tie: Henry Carter Neckwear brown dot 7 Fold
Trousers: Howard Yount light grey flannel
Shoes: Carmina

iSurg

Reaction score

No offense taken. Just some healthy debate and opinions. I agree with HC - this is a place that does not degenerate in to
foo.gif
-ness. I'll ask Tom next time I see him for a point of reference. I am interested in a DB next for an odd jacket and was going to go unlined with similar elements. Might hold off until I have a better idea. Cheers.

boff

Reaction score
Holy f*uck.
I just got my first black silk knit tie and can't believe it's taken me this long. What an awesome tie :slayer:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads