1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spandexter

Spandexter Senior member

Shop the finest has some Saint Crispin's shoes @ $700ish if anyone is interested.

2. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Phew - thankfully, there's nothing in my size.

However, if some small-footed Australian member doesn't jump on these boots, they should be drummed out of StyleForum!!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  3. joiji

joiji Senior member

Nothing in mine either. [​IMG]

4. crappbag

crappbag Senior member

Thanks for this. Ended up buying several shirts and 2 ties.

http://www.landsend.com/pp/StylePage-434099_A7.html

been looking for one of those for ages.

5. crappbag

crappbag Senior member

Dupe.

6. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

Someone drum me out....I range from 5.5 to 6 (no I am not female :p) but I'm in no purchase for a while and I doubt their lasts fit my feet (wide). Maybe there's someone else with mouse like feet here?

7. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Wurger, get on this mate!

Then again, he just had a pair of Crispies MTO.

8. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Question time.

BAM! Hit me with answers, please.

1. I am in Sydney next weekend. Need accommodation. Where should I stay?

2. Does anyone here have pictures of/own Church's in ebony calfskin? Interested to know more.

9. npvpositive

npvpositive Active Member

Hi Gents,
    Can Romp or someone else explain the actual difference between a suit made at PJohnson and a suit made at Suit Shop? Are they basically an identical product made in the same factory, etc, but just a different selection of fabrics and less hand holding in the process? Or is there a significant difference like full canvas versus half canvas?

Thanks!

PS: apologies if this has been covered already . . . tried to search but couldn't find anything detailed.

10. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

1. Stay in a backpacker's hostel in the city. You'll rarely get the chance to feel like you're 21 again.
    Npv, the products are different. Romp - the founder of Suit Shop has worked with Patrick to develop Suit Shop. Different factories, different pricing. They might even work out of the same building (Romp and Patrick). I'm hoping to get a suit from either before year's end! Though, I think I might be Romp's first barred customer.

11. Romp

Romp Senior member

Same block, different workshop

Suit shop does fused, half and full canvas machine finished

Pjohnson is only full canvas or unstructured machine or handfinished and much broader cloth and options

12. wurger

wurger Senior member

yeah, unfortunately, got a few blisters on my right pinky toe, and now an allergic reaction from the corn rubber bandaid, so can't wear my new St Crispins, and most of my shoes for some time....

13. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Where do you guys get your pinky rings?

this is mine:

[​IMG]

14. kayhill

kayhill Senior member

Yeah, so uh, I was meant to be saving more money. That lasted about ... 1 week?

Thanks for the tip though. Got a pair of Sutor Mantellassi loafers.

15. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

+1 on Gardens by the Bay, drop into Pollen for a bite. Pollen is Jason Atherton's (ex-head chef at maze, and also of Pollen Street Social in London) new project.

+100 on the Hainanese Chicken Rice and other Chinese dishes. That place is called Chin Chin Eating House. Ask any cabbie to bring you there, and you will earn mad props.

Murtabak at Zam Zam (on Jalan Sultan). Either after murtabak (but I recommend before), drop into Bar Stories for a better version of the Singapore Sling. Say hi to Jeff, and ask him to give you my seat. Call ahead.

In the same area is Maison Ikkoku, another cocktail bar. Say hi to Ethan for me.

Both Jeff and Ethan are 2 of the best mixologists outside Japan and Hong Kong.

For lunch, I'd suggest some Padang food (Indonesian), head to Minang. It is right outside Sultan Mosque (also a heritage site). Or some Hock Lam Beef Noodles near Chinatown.

Dempsey Village is a calm place to check out.

Immigrants, Keong Saik Snacks are great places for local fare in a comfortable setting. Great adaptations of classics.

Coffee - I'm a little apprehensive to suggest coffee to a Melbourne local, but 2 places of note: Chye Seng Huat Hardware and The Plain. Vincent who runs The Plain is an ex-Melbournite.

Tanjong Beach Club is fun, not nearly as wanky as The Ivy Pool.

I'm a little out of touch myself, but these are places of note for a Singaporean experience. I didn't suggest any of the international cuisines because Melbourne will definitely have an upper hand.

For a Singaporean breakfast, take the leap and order some roti prata, some kaya toast with runny soft boiled eggs. Head to Ya Kun for the toast and eggs.

Plus, you'll be surprised at how sometimes the $1 coffees (or as we call it, kopi) from hawker centres hit the spot with the generous dollop of condensed milk. You can have it without, but really, why would you? (Ya Kun also has that hawker-type kopi, but at 3x the price).

You gotta applaud the next generation of Ya Kun's owners:

[​IMG]

16. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I'm amazed that I managed to remember where it was, as I haven't eaten there for years. I just stumbled upon it whilst wandering around and it was great, so it's good to hear that it has a strong reputation.

I just did a quick internet search and this sounds and looks good - I'll have to file it away for future reference.

As an aside, I don't know whether to be impressed or concerned by the fact that all of Nabilmust's recommendations are for places to eat and drink!

For someone who's thin, he's certainly dedicated to the consumption of food! ;)

2 people like this.
  17. skeen7908

skeen7908 Senior member

How much does a topy cost in this city?

$65 seemed very excessive to me. I used to get them done years ago for $15

18. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Standard price in Sydney is $45.

There is the Cobbler's Association. They meet once a year and decide on an appropriate price, then they all charge that price, or more, but no less than the agreed amount.

19. wurger

wurger Senior member

It's usually $35 a pair in most places in Sydney. But a few places do charge $45.

1 person likes this.
  20. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Once again, I'm caught talking out of my A.

I asked 3 places and they all quoted $45. So I assumed every cobbler is the same. Logic seemed faultless to me,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.