• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I remember the streets of Kinkade and Slocum near the racetrack.

I used to go to Albury to get threads

I scored some excellent clothing in Albury there were a couple of good men's wear stores there one in Dean St the other in Mcauley St (I think) still have a CR Car Coat circa 2001 and a pair of Gant leather gloves that I still use in Winter, that is if it ever shows up. What is a concern though is that the specter of drought has reared its ugly head again, hope not.

As for well dressed musicans Miles Davis The Prince of Cool circa 1965 to 1965, now that was stage dressing.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would love to get the Aus members perspective on this one!

Does it offer new opportunities, or opportunities to develop a better/broader/more useful skill set that you don't get in your current position?

Is your current position likely to continue to let you develop/grow/improve or likely to be more of the same?

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does it offer new opportunities, or opportunities to develop a better/broader/more useful skill set that you don't get in your current position?

Is your current position likely to continue to let you develop/grow/improve or likely to be more of the same?

More likely to be the same for the next 6 months but things come up that are completely random so i never know. Last year i had a chance to go to the US. Sometimes i feel stagnant although overall work has treated me well. It makes it hard because both paths have a degree of uncertainty.

Last edited:

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More likely to be the same for the next 6 months but things come up that are completely random so i never know. Last year i had a chance to go to the US. Sometimes i feel stagnant although overall work has treated me well. It makes it hard because both paths have a degree of uncertainty.

I think almost all moves/choices/options will have that degree of uncertainty: but how likely is it that you'll get the same options to become more employable (develop rare/valuable skills) at one work place compared with the other? That's usually the question I find the most important to be able to answer.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Saphir is too smelly I may revert to Collonil.
No . Do not use Parade Gloss as it is too full of turps and destroys the leather. Even regular Kiwi has to be watched though it works well.
You will never make the cut for the Riverine Club mate.

Light the tin, watch it burn, then apply

Macau. The best day trip ever

Playboy mansion woop woop

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

There are no certainties in life other than death and taxes. Do what makes you happiest and keep learning. Once you feel stagnant you aren't being challenged anymore and it's a sign to move on

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Ms is sitting in front of TV watching Richmond vs Geelong, yelling & swearing, drinking and eating chips etc.

Me: I'm in the office having a quiet James Squire Stowaway IPA, listening to ABC Jazz on digital radio, Yamaha NS10 - white cone vintage speakers, and reading the Productivity Commission Report on NDIS.
I can't stand sport.

Its a funny old world isn't it.

fxh

Marx said 'sport is the opiate of the masses.' Sadly a lot of sport is really no longer sport but just another entertainment commodity to fill up airtime and increase the coffers of the Murdochs of the world. Yes I know that some sports men are overpaid but for some people who are good athletes its a way out of poverty.

Mind you it always amazed me that inner Melbourne looked like the set for On The Beach come 3pm on a Saturday in the early 80's Sydney has never pulled the same crowds for the league. I still remember a sign out side an Anglican church in Carlton 'what would you do if God came to Melbourne on Wednesday' some wag wrote 'move Jesaulenko to centre forward' Mind you at La Trobe when studying History of Comparative Religion (sadly they didn't do theology) we covered a poem, the poets name eludes me ' they wrap you up in your club colours at birth'

I do recall, strange this not drinking its affecting my mind, Stephen Alomes Tales of a Dreamtime Australian Football as a Secular Religion. But then years later at UTS I wrote a paper on The Quest of Holy Grail and the South African 1995 World Cup Victory, Nelson Mandela as the Fisher King, yes Cultural Studies did take the dryness out of theory.

Cynicism aside sport still has its moments for me, maybe growing up in an area of suburban tribalism infused sport into my DNA i still enjoy going out to a game, Coogee Oval to watch the Galloping Greens, Liechhardt when we had a team we could put on the field and even Canberra Stadium for the Brumbies.

At the end of the 2005 NRL Grand Final I passed this young bloke who was claiming 'this is the best day of my life' mass euphoria is a wonderful thing, one of those totally legal highs you can enjoy guilt free.

One of things that is neglected is the poetry in motion of good athletes, watching the way some players can command the flow of a game gets the pulse going, movement of bodies in flight. Mind you I can't stand cricket, loathe if truth be told, and this was even before learning that TS Eiott taking Herman Hesse to an England V Australia ashes match provided the inspiration for Hesse for the Game in the novel The Glass Bead Game.

Last edited:

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Stiva

Reaction score
I think Marx said that religion is the opiate of the masses. The later adaption reflects academic suggestions that adherence to a sport and team is the new religion.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think Marx said that religion is the opiate of the masses. The later adaption reflects academic suggestions that adherence to a sport and team is the new religion.

Yes I know what Marx said and if you hunt out the Alomes article you'll get the point. Obliviously the concept of irony was not part of your education.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With all respect, and I say this in your best interest, I don't think this is a decision you should outsource to SF groupthink.

I don't think it was s decision he was outsourcing. I think it was a question he was asking in order to see if people could help him better understand his options and thus make his own choice with more confidence/clarity.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unfortunately this Hong Kong trip is mostly business and not pleasure. I only have this weekend and whatever is left after work this next week so Cheung Chau is out of the question :(

I'm on to Uniqlo already. Making my way down to Causeway Bay tomorrow to check out their new flagship store which apparently opened just last week. Will poke around Wan Chai as well, probably another look around Central. I'm staying in Sheung Wan, so its pretty damn close anyway.

Really have to look around Brooks Brothers in HK. See any goodies to pick up.

dont miss Tassels!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads