1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

2. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Thanks for that. Fingers crossed I will get them before end of the working week.

Now to concoct some explanation for the missus (who is currently eyeing some LV boots double the price of my Carmina).

3. Superfudge

Superfudge Well-Known Member

I agree. I've started refining my technique a bit to get rid of almost all creases. I always cringe when I go to a meeting and see a guy whose wife obviously irons his shirts, creasing all the pleats and in some extreme cases ironing creases in the cuffs! I've managed to get my pleat technique down but sleeves still get me. I really need an arm-board to get it just right, but until I can find one (or make one) I can live with creases on the arm.

4. joiji

joiji Senior member

5. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Tried that before, unfortunately, did not work.

I think the only feasible way out of this is to deduct the cost of the Carmina from my (already small) portion of the shopping budget for our upcoming trip back to Paris.

6. acinod

acinod Senior member

What should I use my $50 Myer Gift Card on?

7. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

A Christmas re-gift to someone you don't respect.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
    3 people like this.
  8. fxh

fxh Senior member

I used to have a tefal loved it. It had a bit of heft and a stainless steel bottom, which makes easy to clean unlike a nonstick bottom (insert wife non stick bottom joke here) nnonstick get scratched and can't be scrubbed clean with a steel wool. That said my current one is a sunbeam and non stick steam and theres no problems.

Just be sure you heat and put it over the sink and that 'clean' button frequently. And run stuf through it like coffee machine cleaner or cleaning vinegar , coke would probably work.

Those ones with the steam/water tank and hoses are overkill, i have friends who have them, unless you are ironing sheets , tablecloths ,serviettes etc, or ....

Stable irioning board, sleeve board is great. Small spray bottle or even better bring shirts off line damp, get an ironing cloth, old thick cotton oc or piece of t shirt.

I usually dont iron ocbd or shirts worn sans tie, but they have usually been hung or folded and are all NOT non iron. Non iron crumbled and not ironed are hideous.

9. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

To buy something you could find elsewhere for $20.

Seriously though, if you have no pressing (ironing pun for fxh) needs use it towards a Christmas present for someone, or get something more frivolous like a pocket square, suit brush, new perfume etc.

10. fxh

fxh Senior member

A rough crease down sleeve, not cuff, is the most efficient way to iron. If you don't worry the crease with pressure it comes out by halfway through morning. Looks like you care but not too much.

11. Prince of Paisley

Agree re the plain stainless bottoms, but most of the decent quality ones these days are non stick. So you can have a plain steel bottom on a $20 iron that will die in a year, or anything decent is non stick, though the teflon coatings seem to be more durable these days...

Did you ever end up getting one of those fancy trouser presses/jacket steamers/etc.etc. from Aldi? I notice they still have similar things as weekly specials every now and then.

12. Prince of Paisley

Yep, and yep. Patterned shirts = impossible to see a crease in the sleeve anyway.

13. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

This is always worth a repost:

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  14. fxh

fxh Senior member

Do Myer still have pantherella socks? Good use for card.
    New iron?
    Me , I'd be looking at a small stainless steel saucepan with steamer or kitchen scales

15. fxh

fxh Senior member

No I didn't get one but I did get some for bunch of other online idiots here. I can't tell you their names, but you whistle and I'll point.
    I do have access to one but dont ever use it. I have absorbed the proper pressing , not ironing, suits tutorial that's kicking around.

Yes the Teflon stuff seem to have improved my sunbeam has no scratches or gunk.

16. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

17. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Heisenberg?

Mrs GF does most of the ironing and I have been informed its her choice :brick: but I am allowed to have input re price but not colour. My mention of a non steam iron and spray bottle was met with " and what century are we living in?"

Being an ex wardrobe mistress in the theatre she is very conscious of ironing in pleats and creases in shirts and pressing trousers with a clean handkerchief and I applaud her labour. And no she does not put a crease in the cuffs.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  18. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

19. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Pfft

[​IMG]

20. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Hi y'all

Long time, no poast. Like lachyzee I have been travelling recently and am now totally broke, so I have been lurking for a few weeks and trying to avoid looking at nice things (SF drives consumption, of this I am sure).

Thought this might be a good time to jump back in with a long post, given the tenor on here of late! I just want to say that I've met a bunch of people from here in really real life, and I'm yet to meet anyone I didn't like (except Gerry Nelson. F*ck that guy :D). So, if someone posts something you don't like, take a deep breath and remember that you'd probably just laugh it off if you heard it IRL over a glass of Scotch.

Various ramblings follow below in the Spoiler.

The Trip

My partner and I went to London, Santorini, Istanbul and Seoul with our (then) 11 month-old son.

International travel with a baby (while still having a good time) is totally possible. The flights were generally fine; tiring, but in no way the nightmare that people make them out to be.

The main downside to having a little passenger with us was probably to do with food. Because street food (nowhere to sit down / relax) and higher-end places (too stuffy) were both out, we tended to eat at middle-of-the-road touristy places. In Santorini and Istanbul the food we ate was fine, but not particularly memorable, and overpriced. In Seoul we ate much more authentic food, but the restaurants are insanely not baby-friendly, which was a bit trying.

There were lots of upsides: people were nicer/friendlier to us because we had a baby, so we connected more with locals; we got preferential treatment at airports; there was never a dull moment (!), and it was just awesome that friends in England got to meet our boy at this young age.

Seoul is fantastic and should be a much more popular travel destination than it is. Having a friend who lives there made it a lot easier for us to get 'into', but nonetheless it is very good value for money--lots to see and do, great food, an interesting culture, visually stunning. It's pretty similar to Japan I guess, but I liked it quite a bit more. It has a great mix of ancient history with a youthful energy (on account, I think, of its economic miracle in the last decades and a much more outward-looking populace).

Overall, would I recommend taking a baby on your once-in-a-lifetime trip to Europe? No. But if you've done a fair amount of travel before, and you're up for a new challenge, go for it.

Ruminations about clothes

I don't suppose this was ever in doubt, but my god London is far and away the capital of the menswear world. You could spend days, weeks even browsing the menswear shops around Oxford Circus and in Mayfair. I used to live in London, but going back post-SF was amazing. There was a Crockett & Jones around every corner.

I dropped into a bunch of shops. Suit Supply was a let-down. The SA told me that ALL of their jackets have working cuffs, which rules them out completely for me due to my extra long monkey arms and 37R torso. Massimo Dutti was also underwhelming--they had some nice stuff but a lot of kinda ugly fashiony/weird stuff as well.

As for the locals, I was impressed. Lost of guys wearing unaffected, well-fitting CBD looks (including a pocket square) that would get high praise on here. Even with the rest of the ensemble was nothing to write home about, decent Goodyear Welted shoes are waaaay more common in London than here.

The thing about the English never wearing brown shoes with a navy suit is patently untrue; I saw this (awesome) combo everywhere.

Travel wear

OBCDs are a great travel shirt. They look good unironed, the pocket is useful, and they're just the right level of comfort vs. formality. Baby smears jam on you at breakfast? No worries, a few stains on your OBCD just make you look rugged :)

Clarks DBs are similarly a great travel shoe--comfortable, durable, and better looking than sneakers or those ugly 'performance' or 'approach' shoes. Only thing is, they suuuuck in the rain. My socks got wet even just walking on wet ground, like they would actively draw water in through the soles or something. Thankfully I took a pair of Sperry Top-Siders as well and they were fantastic for warmer weather and in the wet too.

OBCDs, grey t-shirts, chinos--this was kind of my uniform, and worked really well.

Uniqlo

The only place I actually spent money on clothes while travelling was the 'qlo.

I spent about $200 and got three OBCDs, a grey 'sweatshirt' (the kind with the little crossover X at the neck, great for travel), some tshirts and a very serviceable plaited leather belt. Pretty crazy value.

For the money ($30), Uniqlo OCBDs are great. The pink in particular is a fantastic colour, very flattering to skin tones. Amazingly, they fit me very well. If you're skinny with long arms, check them out.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.