1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

deingesicht, I don't know what last my shoes are on, but I have a couple of pairs of the old "Cheaney for Herringbone" shoes. The ones that I have do run fairly narrow.

2. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Hey Pink Socks, if you wear a Kilt and knee high pink socks, I'll bring a date to the Charity Dinner.

3. Stiva

Stiva Senior member

I have recently bought three pairs of Cheaneys and couldn't be happier with them.

My usual purchase is Churchs Custom Grade (and I have one pair of Trickers), and I don't think the Cheaneys are any better or worse in comparison - at least to my uneducated eye. In general terms, they run the same width as Churches and Loake - so wider than C&J.

In fact, I called in at the Cheaney factory store in Desborough in July this year, because it just happened to be on the way when I was driving up to Nottingham for the First Test, and bought a pair of Jackie III chukkas. They were seconds, and cost the equivalent of $150 at the factory door. The bloke I was with went berserk and bought four pairs in assorted styles. He couldn't believe how cheap they were compared to the cost of Northamptonshire shoes in Australia - and he wasn't buying seconds and he was paying more than $150 a pair.

I think some of the Cheaney designs can be a bit lumpen or agricultural, but those ones you have linked are fine. Bargain. Do not hesitate.

4. Stiva

Stiva Senior member

Derbs are fucken ugly.

5. couldnthaveknow

couldnthaveknow Senior member

haha unfortunately I have a bit of a condition which means orthotic shoes are most appropriate for me. This really is a case where function must dictate form - if the derbys are widest, its just gotta be that

Out of the 3 I actually thought the wingtips would have been nice, but I have something like 6-7 pairs of shoes that I have worn like twice because they are uncomfortable. Prefer not to add to that collection

2 people like this.
  6. deingesicht

deingesicht Senior member

Thanks, will do. If anyone is interested in those PM me with size and I'll see what I can do

So would you suggest going up a size or are the cheaney on the same size of your regular shoes but a bit tigher?

7. fxh

fxh Senior member

If you have any problems stick to open laced shoes. Or as some internet usa people call them - derbys. It only anyone from a clothing forum who will notice they aren't closed laced - as if it matters.Do go and see a good podiatrist first though. They don't know anything much about good shoes but they do know feet and whats wrong with them. The knowledge you get will be useful.

8. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

I wonder if RM Williams have an orthotics range...

9. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I haven't worn either pair for a little while but both pairs have fairly chiselled toe-boxes and are quite similar to the C&J 348 last.

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't go up half-a-size at they'd then be too long for me.

10. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Gonna have to disagree there.

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
    3 people like this.
  11. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Gerry, they don't have the two pieces of leather hanging from the lip. They don't quality as 'conventional' Derbies.

12. Stiva

Stiva Senior member

They're not Derbys. They're overpriced tat for Francophile spivs with size 6 feet.

1 person likes this.
  13. couldnthaveknow

Thanks mate, yeah the word from podiatrist is its a medium to severe case of hammer toe, but not recommending surgery - which is fine, I dont particularly want to tamper with it. It is hereditary, but as far as I can tell, its the one and only thing wrong with me. Joking.

It comes down to working around it, so for instance I train myself to be a fore foot strike runner, and have to be careful with my shoe purchases...

Oh mate half and half - I have the RMW craftsman dynamic flex - they have the removable in sole, which makes room for an orthotic in there. It works well, but I should have bought a friggin G. The F fit is uncomfortable. Also super disappoint, saw them suede kingsvales and thought YES ILL HAVE ONE. They're custom made, normal range only have leather chukkas... hmmm... but at the custom made price range, maybe I should try for something else...

Anyway, will go and use DJ's free "try here and buy from a cheaper, better operated online store" service later for Churchs... Church's chukkas are last 81, which is the same last as in the Burwood brogue, which DJs kind stock in various sizes and fits...

14. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

I own both of those items but think I will stick to wearing them separately. Still feel free to bring a date.
    Come Mr Nice Guy, he is spoiling for a fight...insulting shoes you like...drop the nice guy act and attack! #fridaytroublemaking

1 person likes this.
  15. fxh

fxh Senior member

I have an hard orthotic insert, as do many others here, not for hammer toe though. Often going down half a size but a wider last is the go.

A set of stretcher shoe trees aren't a bad investment - you can use them as an ordinary tree - the little bumps can be adjusted - you can customise the bumps in a backyard workshop if you are handy.

[​IMG]

If you keep your eyes open around antique tools and markets you can pick up a Bunion Stretcher tool.

[​IMG]

http://www.shoecaresupplies.com/Shoe_Boot_Stretchers_p/bunion-stretcher.htm

16. fxh

fxh Senior member

Almost Safe For Work
    [​IMG]

17. meister

meister Senior member

I went to that big black tie Murdoch dinner at the Lowy Institute last night.

Also went to the Bradman Foundation black tie the previous night for Mark Taylor's gonging in..

I have not worn tux for years and surprised how many people use a black suit and long black funeral tie as "formal wear". Murdoch was even wearing that look.

Can't believe even this remaining area of dressing is now prey to "fashion".

Lucky I got one at the Gowings sale years ago that still fitted me well!

1 person likes this.
  18. couldnthaveknow

Yeah thanks mate - that's definitely on the to buy list, as is a proper shoe care kit... and about 50 other items!

19. fxh

fxh Senior member

meister old chap - how many - what % - were wearing proper penguin suits?

Last time I wore one about 3 years ago, I was one of 3 , out of 20 at a BLACK TIE private dinner at the Australia Club. A year or so ago I was at two large dinners at Melbourne Club - private - Black Tie optional - I didn't wear one and only two out of 50 wore them. Not all wore ties.

I mention the clubs, not because I'm a member, I'm not, nor am I invited much, but to give the context - its hard to get much more formal, old school and establishment in Melbourne.

In fact I only know one bloke in real life (aside from forum idiots) who knows the "rules" and wears the full outfit - self tied tie, pumps etc. - nice guy too. Hes the Australia Club member.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  20. fxh

fxh Senior member

Don't skimp on looking after your feet. They are the foundation of your whole mobile body. Health before beauty. Although you can combine the two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.