1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Ever since his modelling turn at the Dress for Success event he is a real draw for any camera.

I am sure we will spot him in the social pages shortly...

2. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Ha was just looking at them too, didn't recognise anyone else in there though? Any mystery members I may not have met?

3. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Effing DJ's hardly stock them :censored:

And for those members who enjoy a good sartorial read anyone read this, and if so any opinions? Day of the Peacock: Style for Men 1963-1973 by Geoffrey Aquilana Ross

4. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Pink Socks, quit the modesty. Look is legendary

2 people like this.
  5. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Awesome - I'll hold out until then - I'm sure I'll find something that looks good.

Unless you want to PM me infos early ;)

6. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

^^^ mr pink socks, you are a humble but immaculately dressed man.

Mr Henry Carter, will you be getting any glen paid ties, in light summery tones? I have a wedding to attend also.

FWIW hB's new suit pants come with side adjusters, nice

1 person likes this.
  7. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

<3 Raw silk, or Shantung too, have a Brown Shantung - the Vanda I am eying is Shantung (so, relatively similar to raw silk).
    Awesome - I'll hold out until then - I'm sure I'll find something that looks good. A summery blue would be perfect, I reckon.

Unless you want to PM me infos early ;)

8. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Yep there is a new GP wedding tie coming in the classic silver/black, like below. Weddings in general in the last year have been a big part of growth in the business. I'm just getting everything together for a dedicated wedding/formal section on the website, which to begin with will have some classic wedding ties (Silver Glen Plaid, Black satin silk (ties and self tie bow-ties) plus a few other wedding favourites, linen PS's and I'm aiming to also add some things like suspenders and cufflinks etc in the future.

[​IMG]

9. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

So, I suppose I should probably plan my outfit for my Brothers. I was going to go to PJ or OH but decided I'll go OTR and possibly get it tailored. Decided on suit supply. I'd like to stand out somewhat. I will most probably be wearing my Church's Double Monks in Brown(I have black DMs as well). I'd like to go Double Breasted. I was originally looking at the Soho Pure Wool Blue, but on second looks it appears that is very coarse and not smooth as I'd like it. I am looking at the S120 Soho Blue but it looks a bit dark :( I would be pairing it with a Thomas Mason Cornflower blue cutaway collar and an Orange Macclesfield tie. On further inspection, I am looking at the Soho Cream Linen suit. The wedding is in the middle of January.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  10. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Foxy, whilst both of those suits look nice, I think that it's worthwhile thinking about what your brother's wedding is going to be like, before you decide on what you're going to wear.

For example, what are other men at the wedding going to be wearing? I know that you've previously mentioned that you're not going to be in the groom's immediate party, but you're still part of the family group, so are they going to be wearing any particular theme (ie charcoal suits, black suits etc).

Also, how formal is the wedding going to be? Is it going to be quite formal, or is it going to be a more casual, garden wedding?

At the risk of putting a damper on your plans, I think that it's worthwhile remembering that the wedding is not for you - it's for your brother and your (future) sister-in-law. Therefore, rather than looking to stand out, it would be best to blend in so that you don't take too much attention away from the bride and groom.

If everyone's getting dressed up and it seems to be an "anything goes" type of wedding, then by all means, go for a cream double-breasted suit and double monks. However, if it's going to be a more formal wedding, then I think that it would be courteous to tone down the outfit so as to blend in with the crowd so that people focus on the happy couple rather than on your (no doubt very well fitted and good looking) suit.

11. wishiwasricher

wishiwasricher Senior member

Just a warning Fox. I quite liked the look of suit supply as well and had the chance to visit the store in Washington and it kinda put me off. A lot of the materials are unlike the pictures they display and the fits are inconsistent across the differnet brands (i was a 36 is some up to about a 39 in others).

Its still a good deal for the price point but just so you know.

1 person likes this.
  12. lennier

lennier Senior member

A keen eyed bunch you are. I wasn't sure if the red tights were a bit OTT with that skirt but in the end I think I pulled it off.

No other members in attendance. It was a relatively small and low-key affair, but interesting as a reflection of the changing landscape of menswear and the common trends (not in the fashion sense) that people are seeing. A long way to go, but the increasing prevalence of better fitting suits and people just generally making an effort is something that was mentioned, and reflects what I've noticed and have seen others comment on as well.

BMT clearly position themselves as more of an 'every-bloke' store than something like Double Monk, and serve a good purpose I think. The owners are really nice and I applaud their efforts to make good dressing more accessible and acceptable to the average bloke in the street.

Oscar Hunt are probably a little more fashion forward than probably many on SF would like, but they too share the common aim of anyone who would be reading this to raise dress standards.

All in all an enjoyable evening, but most readers here probably wouldn't have got much out of it as a information evening, but a nice bit of menswear cultural immersion.

13. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Yes, Cream/white will be to over the top. Most people will be wearing ill fitting suits. Think Peter Jackson, Van Hussen etc. My old man will be wearing his Black with white pinstriped suits, and these very dark red single monks that My Grandfather bought back in Greece 30 years ago. I need to shine those up for him. My brother is wearing a black suit, black shirt, ivory tie and square toed loafers. I've given up caring. My double monks aren't as "out there" as the Carmina Wingtips I was originally going to wear.

Thanks for your input mate! At least they have free returns!

14. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

They definitely didn't mention that part [​IMG]

Thanks for the report, Lennier, it sounds like it was a fun night!

2 people like this.
  15. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

On behalf of a friend, what are the womenswear equivalents of blogs like Put This On, This Fits, The Silentist and Die Workwear?

I'm looking for the blogs that talk about the basics of dressing for women. I know what to look for when it comes to menswear but am totally lost when looking for similar resources for womenswear.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

16. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

lennier?

17. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

All she needs is the Victoria's Secret catalogue.

1 person likes this.
  18. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

Pass on the cream, get the Navy. You'll get more mileage out of the latter.

The double monks sound alright, to add a little casual flair.

Hold on to the orange tie for now, see how the whole outfit comes together.

You've got your canvas - the suit. Mix and match the shirt and tie combinations to find a stand out yet subtle outfit. They key: small details that thread your pieces together. Don't go all #blogger with too many statement pieces. Tip: anything more than 1 is too many statement pieces.

JM is right, you don't want to steal your brother's thunder. But considering he's going to be wearing what is essentially a bouncer's uniform, you will outshine him by just turning up at his wedding. Not that it's a bad thing - the ladies will pay attention and/or take notes.

2 people like this.
  19. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

I used to read Magnificent Bastard for laughs, with a twist of useful advice.

They launched a sister site: Spectacular Bitch.

Both sites need to be taken in with a pinch of salt.

These 2 are the only other ones I've glanced through before:

http://www.classygirlswearpearls.com/

http://tomboystyle.blogspot.com.au/

20. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

I've decided over time I'm going to sell all my ties except for:

- a navy grenadine
    - a black grenadine
    - a navy stripe

I will return to the primordial soup from whence I came.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.