1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uniesse

uniesse Senior member

Details?!

2. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

I have some stuff on the way to my postal address in the states. Does anyone else need or want anything brought over/forwarded. If so send me a PM.

3. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Just checked these guys out, looks spot on, they have a nice burgundy too, choice of buckles etc I think we have a winner.

4. joiji

joiji Senior member

5. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

hrmm well that's disappointing to hear. Can't win with belts, they are either the wrong leather or have a cheap buckle or just not the style im looking for.

6. Bone19

Bone19 Member

For all those shoe afficionados out there, you need to check this out. not sure if it has been mentioned previously on here but we no longer have to look to europe for world class quality shoes. handmade bespoke or ready to wear shoes made right here in Melbourne. Jess Wootten is the guy's name and his workshop is on Grattan Street in Prahran. he offers bespoke, made to order and ready to wear shoes and he personaly makes all his shoes onsite.

I have always baught english welted shoes, but when i found Jess i thought i would spoil myself with a pair of bespoke black toe cap oxfords. wow. the quality is as good as anything i have had from church's and having your own personal last makes these the best fitting shoe i have ever worn. now that he has my last i will be back for sure, perhaps some flash wingtip golf shoes to parade around the snadbelt.

Jess is a very approachable/personable guy. go see him.

www.wootten.com.au

7. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

Good to hear mate. Post some pics please. I'm actually going in to see him next weekend. I've heard some good things but haven't seen any work of his that doesn't look decidedly casual which has me a little concerned. I've heard he has branched out into more classic dress shoes lately though.

8. Bone19

Bone19 Member

much of the stuff he has on display is reasonably contemporary but this guy is a true crafsman and makes whatever you want, from classic styling to the the outrageous.

i do have 1 pick on my computer but cant work out how to post it

9. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

If you made these yourself, then you have my admiration.

Otherwise, tell us where you got them!

10. Prince of Paisley

This is probably the best outfit you have posted so far. A marked improvement from your earlier efforts. There is a certain harmony in the chaos of colours which I can't quite explain.

1 person likes this.
  11. meister

meister Senior member

Provenance?

You are not seriously going to call this a major shoe renovation project? Puullleaaase...

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  12. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

Props for Foxxy's sense of humour, though.

It's gold!

1 person likes this.
  13. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Wootten's shoes look interesting but - whilst admitting that I know virtually nothing about his operation - it could be worth being a little cautious about leather quality.

From the pics on the website, the leather looks a bit coarse. Whilst full-grain, I don't think it's calf leather and so it the wrinkles that develop will probably be larger and coarser.

You can see a couple of examples of the coarser grain in the leather on this shoe, this shoe, too, and this bag.

I don't know if you can request that he use calf leather (probably for an upcharge) but, depending on what the sample or off-the-rack shoes look like when you get to handle them, it could be worth it.

Edit: I just noticed that on the FAQ section of the Wootten website, under "materials and construction", it mentions:

What leather do you use?

Depending on the application we use:

Kangaroo – for our high performance sports shoes. Kangaroo is one of the highest performance natural materials available for footwear.

Kid – for fine ladies shoes

Calf – all of our linings are generally made from calf, some of our uppers are made from calf also.

Bovine – Most commonly available and a good general all purpose leather for most applications.

So it does appear that most of the shoe uppers are made from "bovine" (ie cow) leather, but that some of the uppers are made from calf (ie younger, softer, more supple cow leather).

So, in conclusion, his shoes look nice, but it's probably worth seeing if you can get him to use calf leather instead of "bovine" leather on the uppers.

14. Prince of Paisley

Could be he sources his leather locally from Australia, which has a dearth of fine grain calf leather. I recall RMW had some issues a few years back sourcing suitable calf skins from Aussie producers due to the impacts of the big drought - hence they started importing this type of leather from Europe (for the "French veal" calf Craftsman etc.)

edit: I see you can specify "Barramundi" leather! Crispy skin I hope...

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  15. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

NB don't worry about this Rob, found the photos in Google Archive. Perusing them now...

16. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

17. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

The Philippines/poor. So I avoided SF for a few weeks. Worked remarkably well, actually, in terms of not purchasing anything.

I'm about to go to Nauru, of all places. So in preparation I've got my first ever Fresco suit, and a bunch of linen or linen blend shirts.

Though looking at the weather forecast, I don't think that even those will save me....

1 person likes this.
  18. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Updates:

1. I received my OCBD from Lands End yesterday. The collar is too small and the fabric too heavy, otherwise I can't complain.

2. I tried on my CR D-ring belt today - it stretched beyond recognition. Is this normal?

19. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Where did you get the shirts from? I think linen and linen blends are going to be big among SF dudes this summer.

I just checked Nauru weather!

Tue
    Mostly sunny 28 29
    Wed
    Sunny 28 29
    Thu
    Sunny 28 29
    Fri
    Sunny 28 29

20. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

I've actually been asking around about this on SF but haven't had any luck with answers. If you delve a bit more there's options for pretty much any kind of leather including "French calf" and "English calf" and a few other nationalities. Is there much/any difference in price and quality between calf leather from different countries? Also if you can tell me wth museum calf is I'd also like to know. Wootten seem pretty experienced and capable with a wide variety of leathers so I'm sure he can tell me himself but i always prefer to get my info from someone who isn't trying to sell me a product if I can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.