1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

I always thought you were Benny Hinn...

Love your work btw.

[​IMG]

2. fxh

fxh Senior member

I do channel Benny. Muchly.
    I don't have a comb over to end all comb overs but I used to have an off white DB suit just like the Bensta.

Is he still on in the small hours? I used to watch hours of him.

I can cure ill fitting expensive shoes.
    Well the lord works through me actually but you get the idea.

3. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

I remember he was on 10, 15 years ago.. I remember thinking at the time it was rather odd Benny Hill turning religious.

I haven't seen him lately, though they should bring him back - would be a massive improvement on those shopping channels.

4. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Why bother with the tram? If you open your Fox umbrella you can get blown all the way up Collins St in minutes flat by the prevailing gales.

5. fxh

fxh Senior member

The Scout Shop - Goes Under - Not Prepared.
    Outdoor apparel retailer Snowgum Australia collapses after 89 years in business

Outdoor apparel retailer Snowgum Australia has collapsed into administration, with a sale for the 89-year-old Australian-owned business being sought.

Glenn Franklin, Petr Vrsecky and Jason Stone of Lawlor Draper Dillon in Melbourne have been appointed as administrators.

Franklin told SmartCompany this morning that the focus of the administration is to sell the business as a going concern, as this was the best chance of recovery.

He says the company, which has a franchise structure, has advertised for a buyer, with a number of parties already showing interest at the first expression of interest deadline.

“It is a well-known brand in a competitive market,” says Franklin.

The administrators reported that the amount of debt to unsecured creditors is estimated in the vicinity of $2.2-2.3 million, however, said this figure was subject to further verification.

Franklin says no major banks were owed money, but unsecured creditors consisted mostly of suppliers and landlords.

Franklin says the company has approximately over 86 employees plus casuals and operated 17 retail stores in Victoria, Tasmania, New South Wales, ACT and Queensland, together with eight franchisee stores in Victoria.

The administrators reported that a related retail business, MDS Pty Ltd trading as Midland Disposal Stores, operated five Snowgum Australia stores based in Western Australia.

The first creditors meeting for the Australian company will be held on November 4 at the Lawler Draper Dillon offices in Melbourne.

Snowgum Australia was launched at The Scout Shop in 1924, and has had various names and structures in its history.

It changed names to the Scout Outdoor Centre in 1978, then to Snowgum in 1992, with the view of reaching a broader market.

The Snowgum Australia website reports that the business was sold in 2004 to general manager Ross Elliott and a private consortium.

Its core product offer is performance outdoor clothing, designed for bush walking, mountain climbing and other adventurous activities. It also offers luggage, footwear and travel accessories.

Research into sustainable production has been key to the brand, with it using bamboo, organic cottons and recycled polyester in its range. The company launched an e-commerce division in 2012.

The news of the administration contrasts with the fortunes of Snowgum competitor Kathmandu, which recently recorded a 27% profit increase for financial year 2012-13.

2013 has been a challenging year for administrations in the apparel industry, including Bettina Liano, Kirrily Johnston and Lisa Ho.

6. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Damn. I'm a Scout Leader. This is terrible news.

7. fxh

fxh Senior member

firmin - I got that Indian cook book you recommended from library - seems good - been too sick to do anything yet.

One question - I don't do Indian all the time so can you tell me what is the basic , long life, cupboard of spices - essential - to have - and what are close substitutes for various items?
    I think others might be interested too. We can (should) spoiler any long posts.

8. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

I have a great recipe for Jewish Penicillin cures any PM me if you want it.

I buy small amounts of spices and turn them over pretty quick, some people store them in the fridge never been my thing but dry spices will last a long time. Interesting fact is that you can by changing quantities and mixes do a lot of Moroccan spice mixes as well. The most basic spices are Turmeric, Cumin, Black Cumin, Coriander both fresh and dry, Ginger fresh and dry, Fennel some people prefer Star Anise tastes the same, Asafoetida ( dried Fennel bark the Haris use it as a replacement for garlic) the Thais call it Hing, Fenugreek a very distinctive aroma use sparingly, Amchur dried Mango powder, Cinnamon, Cardamon, Nutmeg, Dried Mustard seeds, Black Pepper, Sweet Paprika and of course Chillies.

I know that their are lot differences between North and South Indian cooking I think the south uses coconut milk correct me if I am wrong. Most of comes from the cooking time, like most traditional ethnic food its all about slow cooking.

The thing is that you first start with half an onion sweat till it virtually caramelises then add the spices you have to cook the spices off then add meat veg ect and coconut milk or diced tomato.

I use a combo of Turmeric, Ground Ginger, Cumin Asafoetida, Amchur, Black Pepper Chilli and salt and then add half tomato and half coconut milk. Then Eggplant, potato, peas, most of my Indian is vego but go with chicken or lamb for family and friends.

All of these are mentioned in that book and it gives pretty clear instructions. Depends on personal taste I guess for which ones you would have and how you want to use them.

You'll find that out of that you can mix up the Moroccan spice mix Ras El Hanout the recipe for that is freely available on the web.

I should also say that with Indian their is not one essential set of spices to have, if your going to do it and you'l see this in the book you need quite a few spices to get the desired effect.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  9. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

So I've been AWOL for some time... Seems O&J have closed up shop? I wanted to buy one of their boutonnieres :(

10. fxh

fxh Senior member

Thanks

The only thing i don't have in the cupboard regularly from that list is Asafoetida.
    I have two indian supermarkets close enough so getting stuff isn't much problem. The indian instant packaged food is the only packaged stuff that works for me too.

I want to work on my eggplant skills - any tips?
    I cant find those baby eggplants I loved in Taiwan and China.

I used to always start anything by heating a cast iron pan then frying off chopped onions in oil throw in some garlic and the wonder what dish I'd cook.

I recently saw some bloke explain that frying off /melting onions was best done by adding some small amounts of water at times. Makes a big difference.

Ms. fxh is from an onion farm so we eat onions like Foxy buys ill fitting shoes.

1 person likes this.
  11. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

You think cause it's in a spoiler that I won't read it.

1 person likes this.
  12. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Yes, of course it's all about you :)

13. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

Inter-generational smack talk all up in this bitch.

14. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Well, the joke is. Yes.

15. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

16. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

You cook? Wow you will be a catch for some imaginary girl.:D

For fxh re Eggplant

I eat a lot of Eggplant, put it on a grill use it in Italian pasta sauces. To cook it one of the best ways is to coat the it with oil using a pastry brush then fry or grill it off. As you know it absorbs oil like crazy. I also put a half on a grill char the flesh then transfer it to the oven for an hour or so on about 150c

Ottolengi a chef who writes for the Guardian has some great recipes for Eggplant I have one of his cookbooks Plenty and there are some great recipes by him posted on the Guardian site try this http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/series/yotam-ottolenghi-recipes His new cookbook Jerusalem is supposed to be very good and the food suits our climate excellent in summer and winter.

Also the only rice to use with Indian food is Basmati.

Mrs GF's nephew is a chef and he worked at a Michelin restaurant in Ireland where they always used to caramelise the onions, if you do it slow and long enough it brings all the sugars out. Makes a great base to build a meal. I find that if you leave the lid on a thick based pot the moisture from the steam is sufficient

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  17. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Sure do m8. Pizza for $$$ and heaps of other dishes for fun.

18. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Yotam Ottolenghi is awesome.

2 people like this.
  19. fxh

fxh Senior member

Mrs GF's nephew is a chef and he worked at a Michelin restaurant in Ireland where they always used to caramelise the onions, if you do it slow and long enough it brings all the sugars out. Makes a great base to build a meal. I find that if you leave the lid on a thick based pot the moisture from the steam is sufficient

Yes I discovered that making French Onion Soup. But the idea that its really adding small amounts of water/moisture is the go. Alternating with drying it up then adding.

20. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

I'm less Gatto and more gateau.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.