• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orchie

Reaction score
On a completely unrelated topic, how do you guys approach texture when you dress? With the cooler weather I find myself attracted to clothing that *feels* warm (regardless of ability to keep me warm). So texture and aesthetics are both coming into play in my purchasing decisions.

Being a newbie to this whole movement, I'm curious as to how you handle mixing and matching of textures. Are there rules of thumb? When are too many textures too much (if ever)?

Grant

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DB, aside from Moscot as recommended by Geoffrey Firmin (who wears the Grunya style well), check out Mosley Tribes and Paul Smith (both made by Oliver Peoples). Tom Ford (et al) make nice frames though must are overpriced. Tortoiseshell style acetate frames are also made by brands such as SUPER, Han, Francois Pinton, Garrett Leight (Oliver Peoples founder's son), Lafont, and that's all I can think of off the top of my head..

If you want unparalleled quality, look at Cutler & Gross. 0935 is a classic shape in dark tortoise, as is the 0734.

Dusty Brogues

Reaction score
DB, aside from Moscot as recommended by Geoffrey Firmin (who wears the Grunya style well), check out Mosley Tribes and Paul Smith (both made by Oliver Peoples). Tom Ford (et al) make nice frames though must are overpriced. Tortoiseshell style acetate frames are also made by brands such as SUPER, Han, Francois Pinton, Garrett Leight (Oliver Peoples founder's son), Lafont, and that's all I can think of off the top of my head..

If you want unparalleled quality, look at Cutler & Gross. 0935 is a classic shape in dark tortoise, as is the 0734.

Gold. Thanks Gent's. Looking forward to researching the leads. Have a great weekend!

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dusty - I stumbled upon a new glasses place the other day in Greville Street. Reasonably hip as you might imagine in that area. They were doing groovy stuff for $100 for prescription readers iirc - more for bi-focals - lots of options. Tortoiseshell - or facsimile - round James Joyce specs, Buddy Holly etc etc . Forget the name. I have a card somewhere. I did notice they had an ad campaign somewhere in print media a few days later. They have no resident optometrist but will refer to a friendly one or use existing scripts.

They also have a sydney presence

Last edited:

Dusty Brogues

Reaction score

Dusty - I stumbled upon a new glasses place the other day in Greville Street. Reasonably hip as you might imagine in that area. They were doing groovy stuff for $100 for prescription readers iirc - more for bi-focals - lots of options. Tortoiseshell - or facsimile - round James Joyce specs, Buddy Holly etc etc . Forget the name. I have a card somewhere. I did notice they had an ad campaign somewhere in print media a few days later. They have no resident optometrist but will refer to a friendly one or use existing scripts.

They also have a sydney presence

Thanks Fxh, great price pt too. If you stumble across the card, you know how to find me.

Back to good OL Clive, represents the strip definitively. When is he gonna start drilling? If I had his coin my undies would be canvassed.

Stout in the fridge is beckoning.....

Last edited:

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Caught the 86 up to Double Monk this afternoon and had a quick peruse. I was expecting to buy some moderately expensive, good quality shoes. Instead, I've lost my soul to these:

http://www.johnlobb.com/uk/city-ii-1

The website photos simply don't do them justice... the dark brown has a beautiful mottled effect. Unfortunately I've blown most of my allocated clothing budget so couldn't bring them home today, but next month they will be mine.

As an aside, where are your "go to" locations for pocket squares in Melbourne? I'm presenting at a conference in Sydney next week and want to step my outfit up a notch.

Grant

I'm at two conferences in Sydney this week what'd the chances be that we cross paths at the same one?

With respect to affiliates, cross pollination and keeping lots of pretty pics in the thread in place of text -

I've now uploaded the remainder of this seasons ties which and are as following. You can find the whole range HERE

3 x Florals, a beautiful conservative alternative to stripes

3 x 9cm wide 7 folds

And this interesting wool/silk 7 fold. It has a very dry hand, plenty of heft and a great texture to it

Jase save me that brown the floral till tmr pls

I wear Lunor glasses

EL84

Reaction score
Gents,
We're at the back end of the week, hope everyone one has great weekend plans!
I'm once again exploiting the power that, that is AM! Any suggestions for a large frame tortoiseshell glasses, brands etc. Doesn't appear to many stockists of Oliver
Peoples around, and apart from Persol, l'm not familiar with others....
Cheers.

Oh BM - have you got any Herringbone - Herringbone grey jackets for sale? I should have pm'd but hey it's friday!

PS - Michael Sy my man, this weekend appreciate the shape and form of the lady, no checking out dub, triple or quadriple monks.

Shuron or Ray Ban.

I've had Wayfarers with prescription lenses for 6 years and now have Clubmasters (Ronsir brownline style) as well. They are really tough, I wear them all day everyday.

Orchie

Reaction score
I'm at two conferences in Sydney this week what'd the chances be that we cross paths at the same one?
I'm at Australian Technology Park Wednesday/Thursday, presenting Thursday afternoon. Would be an amusing coincidence if you were there also - let me know :)

Grant

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the new wayfarers. They're the only sunglasses you can wear inside.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
No worries plenty of stock in the silks at the moment, some of the wools are getting low but will re-stock anyway.
aghh seems ur site is down again...

"Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_VARIABLE in /home/jconcept/public_html/henrycarter/wp-includes/functions.php on line 192"

gpt293

Reaction score
Has anyone bought anything directly off the SNS Herning website? Been trying to get in contact with them but haven't heard back. Do they ship to Australia and are quoted prices inclusive or exclusive of VAT?

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, second time wearing my loakes today. Went for a walk along the harbour, my feet are shredded.

I hope they are the right size. I'm taking them to the leatherman to be broken in on monday (if I can walk)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads