• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Simon, while I take your point, I suggest that, in this thread, you move from wordy posts that read somewhat like advertisements to product pictures, and save the lengthy prose for your own thread. It will win you a lot of goodwill, I think you'll find. People love pictures. :satisfied:

In addition, and by way of compromise, I suggest that, if any forum members take issue with Simon's products, you "discuss" it in his own thread.

iSurg

Reaction score
Quote:

I'm sorry, but I don't owe any affiliate anything. I appreciate that you are Australian-based and look forward to your future positive contributions.

Thanks, lachy. Point taken.

Last edited:

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just love a bit of controversy

4. You may want to remember that it's the advertisers that fork over their cash that pays for this forum so you can use it for free.

That said I agree that at times I can be rather verbose. It comes from years of writing financial reports that take 50 pages to say what I really could have summarised in two. So I'll try to edit more in future.

Anyway, do you really fully  read all the posts? I certainly don't. I scan the first sentence or two and if it interests me I'll read the rest and if not I move onto the next one.

We don't owe you anything, regardless of whether or not you pay for the forum. Without the members of the forum, this forum wouldn't exist either, so it goes both ways.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On another topic entirely: my babymama would like a warm dressing gown for Mums' Day, for night-time feeds in winter. Any recommendations? Derek Rose would be regrettably out of my price range..

nabilmust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jas,

Just got the tie I ordered from you. Gosh, that was quick! If I weren't in an O&J popover, I'd be putting on that tie right now.

Plus, the tie feels nice and lush, quality stuff.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On another topic entirely: my babymama would like a warm dressing gown for Mums' Day, for night-time feeds in winter. Any recommendations? Derek Rose would be regrettably out of my price range..

Most of these things are made of the same material so I reckon check out Peter Alexander, DJs or Country Road. Main thing is make sure it is warm!

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Stebbin

Reaction score

Sorry, but the shoulders look pretty awful (although that is an awkward pose). Pretty sure mine don't do that. I'll try to take a photo of some of my shoulders doing the same thing as the guy that posted Elite and also this photo from instichu.

*fixed pic

I haven't posted very much until recently but I've been a longtime lurker. I've also had quite a few of my fit pictures posted on the Elite thread. As I'm just starting off in a law firm, I don't have an awful lot of money to throw around on suits but I usually pick up around 2-3 suits a year. What appeals to me about online MTM is the fabric selection compared to RTW and the element of control in designing what goes into the suits at my price point. That said, I've had a number of experiences with both Elite and Institchu.

To date, I've purchased the Back to Work package from Elite as well as one of their Thai suits. I'm also waiting an order for two suits and a shirt with Simon right now. I didn't know very much about tailoring when I placed my first orders and the fit on the earlier suits are similar to some of the RTW I had previously owned. The shoulders were a bit wide, the sleeve pitch was slightly off and the trousers needed tapering. However, I found the construction on the whole to be quite good and it improved with subsequent suits. There had been mistakes with the measurements of my orders but I found that Simon was very professional in dealing with it and he arranged for a replacement very quickly.

The problem I found with Institchu was that the fabrics and canvassing they used were very thin and the construction wasn't as good as the suits I purchased from Simon. The website interface also had a tendency to round off measurements to fit their own standard pattern. When I placed my order around September last year, they ignored most of my customisations from their own website and this was after confirming with the owners in person. I was fortunate to get a refund for that order but I see alot of poor reviews from other people who had received the wrong order and weren't allowed the option of a return. I've found since that they've also moved away from describing the compositon of their wool and most of their offerings are now a poly/wool blend. You can also see that in their lining range that they're just using whatever is available from the factory.

I won't say my experiences with Elite is perfect but it occupies good position within my price range and I'm looking forward to receiving my order and posting some fit pics.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting dialogue....

For the record affiliates are allowed to and encouraged to post in threads other than their own, it's when those posts become like advertisements that the issues pop up. The forum is becoming more and more commercial everyday, not necessarilly a good thing. I can't open it and not see banner ads for Westfield now (or insert other non clothing related ads) which is a shame. That combined with me now having a retail prescence will prob see me explore more traditional press/advertising and give up being an affiliate over the next 6 months.

But... affiliates do best when they become part of the community. Anyone who knows anything about marketing an online business knows that engaging with your clients online is key. Look no further than the Howard Yount thread to see how this can backfire, with Jamison becoming seemingly non existent both on his own thread and dealing with enquiries and returns.

Pictures say a thousand words, walls of text say I have no decent pictures. Unfortunately Simon hasn't worked this out yet both on SF and on his website, despite being told countless times. But it's his business and he can run it how he pleases.

I was a member for 2 years before I started the business and I'm interested and passionate about clothing and tailoring in general and I'll continue to contribute even when the time comes that I'm not an affiliate. This thread is always a good resource for us all no matter which side of the fence you are on. Anyone who came to the trunk show will agree that it's helped create the community we have.

@Nabil, glad you are happy with your tie!

Cheers
Jas

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads