1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Sterling work GN. I am sure you can impress PapaRubbery's fiancée in that outfit.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
    4 people like this.
  2. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Great. Emphasis was more on the traditional Clannad sound, with mostly Gaelic songs. Harry's Game and Newgrange both gut a run, as did the Robin Hood songs and a few other olides. The new album stands up well in this company, with a few belters on there. Pol Brennan is back in the group, and he was rousing them up.

They came upstairs after the show and pressed the flesh, signing stuff, etc. I got to have a chat with all of them. Ciaran Brennan is a lovely guy, and Moya a real charmer. Got my photo taken with Moya, just like a fanboy.

3. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Quick question laze and gem. I need to buy some good saucepans. In Sinny I would go to Victoria's Basement or Peter's of Kensington. But I'm in Melb'n right now. What would the equivalent retail outlets be here?

Thanks.

4. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

For those of you with laptops/iPads (most people here I would imagine), what types of folios do you use to carry them around in to meetings, lectures etc. and to protect them in your bag/briefcase?

I've found it hard to find something that is isn't the laptop equivalent of a homyped but is still able to provide more than the most basic protection for scratch-prone screens and delicate case edges.

Sorry if this has been covered before, I don't recall that it has.

5. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

I carry my laptop everywhere with me and wanted a sleeve as thin as possible. I don't know if this is what you're after but I have the Crumpler Fug. It's really one of the products I've purchased. Very minimalistic. Just plain black sleeve that fits my MBPr perfectly. As the MBPr is smaller than the old MBP I actually use the MacBook Air version.

If you're after something leather, Saddleback do a nice sleeve.

1 person likes this.
  6. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Coxy, try the Chef's Hat, opposite the South Melbourne Market.

7. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I just use an iPad sleeve from Sena:

http://www.senacases.com/apple/new-ipad-3-cases/ultraslim-with-smartcover/

They have a large range of colours and a lot of other designs, too.

It takes up very little room so it's also easy to slip into my Filson 256 or another briefcase.

1 person likes this.
  8. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

^ Yeah the sena slip works well although a leather folio case is more functional and looks better. Just have to do some research as there's some out there that will add a bit of heft.

Going OT but with the advent of windows tablets that have all day battery life combined with the inking abilities of a proper digitiser and the functionality of one note, from a productivity standpoint I haven't looked back.

9. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Can't comment to what's currently on offer but the Isaac Reina iPad 'envelope' looks so good. Wood Wood have nice sleeves for MacBook Pro's, not sure what their iPad range is currently like. Have a look at the Mr Porter site for some ideas, and then also SENA as has been mentioned by others. Some on here have experience with il Bisonte..

1 person likes this.
  10. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Thanks. Looks like there will be a trip to South Melbourne today. Chef's Hat, then check out the Beggarman discount stall in the market, then go and buy some coffee beans at that place, whatsitcalled, St Arnaud, St Anton, St Arab, something like that.

Just to annoy everyone, I will point out that the same neoprene laptop sleeves which sell for $50 at the Apple Store (and slightly cheaper elsewhere here) go for around $2 at the electronics malls in Shanghai. Of course, they cost 20 cents to manufacture, so those guys are still making a profit.

11. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

I have an ipad 2 and I use a logitech case that doubles as a keyboard made out of adonised alluminum offers good protection, functional and stylsh, just the thing for the modern Igent http://m.cnet.com.au/logitech-keyboard-case-for-ipad-2-339330887.htm?redir=1

I also have an an antique leather writing folio which I use

12. Prince of Paisley

Thanks all that have replied so far - it was really more of a question to start discussion about practical, stylish cases, rather than a plea for help on my part, so keep 'em coming, some nice ones posted so far.

I actually have a laptop/tablet windows device. 13" but slightly different dimensions to the Macs which ruled out many options that are designed to fit too snugly around MBPs etc. Also the exposed tablet top means IMO it needs some decent padding, which traditional laptops don't, so no thin leather foldovers and slips for me, nice as they are.

Filson make these which I think are kind of cool.

In the end though I went with this:

[​IMG]

Gez and the other photographers might have heard of Billingham, they make some of the best camera bags.

13. Romp

Romp Senior member

I have both

ipad just use the genuine flip case thing and my 13inch MBA I use an old fabric bag that came with some old leather goods.

I put both of these in my ettinger tote

14. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

I just chuck mine straight in my Filson.

15. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Filson???

I'm surprised you're not using this one:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Is that an RM Williams bag?

17. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

^^^ Yep. it's the Saddler's Briefcase.

18. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Mate, if I had the money for the brown... [​IMG]

19. Prince of Paisley

You'd have to buy two so your horse doesn't walk lopsided.

5 people like this.
  20. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

My stash to date:

[​IMG]

For pubs, piadinas and poll-dressing.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.