1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxh

fxh Senior member

I'd much rather swap a few decent recipes than talk watches. ( Not that theres anything wrong ...)
    If people must post pictures of the inner guts of watches could they use the spoiler tag or post thumbnails.

I just started The Coat Route. Australian connection - John Cutler and about clothes, expensive things and craftwork*.

In today’s world of fast fashion, is there a place for a handcrafted $50,000 coat?

To answer that question, Meg Noonan unravels the story of the coat’s provenance. Her journey takes readers to the Sydney studio of John Cutler, a fourth-generation tailor who works magic with scissors and thread; to the remote mountains of Peru, where villagers shear vicunas (a rare animal known for its soft fleece); to the fabulous Florence headquarters of Stefano Ricci, the world’s greatest silk designer; to the esteemed French textile company Dormeuil; to the English button factory that makes products out of Indian buffalo horn; and to the workshop of the engraver who made the 18-carat gold plaque that sits inside the collar.

These individual artisans and family-owned companies are part of the rich tapestry of bespoke tailoring, which began in 17th-century London. They have stood against the tide of mass consumerism, but their dedication to their craft is about more than maintaining tradition; they have found increasing reason to believe that their way is best — for customers, for the environment, and for the workers involved.

Fascinating, surprising, and entertaining, The Coat Route is a timely love song to things of lasting value in our disposable culture.
    * Not that Kraftwerk

2. fxh

fxh Senior member

Nice

3. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

4. fxh

fxh Senior member

On another note (small word play) I have become obsessed, earworm etc, in the last week with Charles & Eddie "Would I lie to You". But I haven't got a lossless version and can't find one. I want to listen on the good speakers to see if its as rich as I imagine but I'm stuck with crappy MP3s. Anyone got a source? Or is it thin and compressed and not worth the effort?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  5. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Picked that up a while back on CD's recommendation great book.

As for recipe's after 20 years years of professional cooking there is not much I don't know (Christ I am modest) all this talk of curry prompts me to recommend India Cookbook by Pushpesh Pant I was initially taught Indian by an ex Hari Krishna 35 years ago, love it eat it at least twice a week, with no ring of fire afterwards.

And Kraftwerk wads great show at the Opera House earlier this year

6. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I think that CD read that and enjoyed it a while back.

7. couldnthaveknow

couldnthaveknow Senior member

Thanks mate. I think for me the first and most important thing is getting the fit right. I've bought a fair few pairs of shoes online and all they do is hurt, end up being a waste of money. If I knew my Trickers size and fit though, that would be a good buy

8. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

[​IMG]

you and TBM would be a cracker of a show

9. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

No worries. FWIW if you are in Melbourne I think Henry Bucks/Beggar Man Thief had some trickers. Beggar Man Thief has a stall at the Sth Melbourne market as well with discounted shoes, you might pick a Grenson with them.

1 person likes this.
  10. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

Haha.... Ernesto that joke was immortal!

1 person likes this.
  11. fxh

fxh Senior member

Please don't encourage them.

12. couldnthaveknow

couldnthaveknow Senior member

Yeah... in Sydney unfortunately...so can't try them on... another disadvantage to add to the list, which reads:
    - Melb ppl are nicer
    - Melb girls are nicer
    - Melb girls are nicer
    -
    Melb weather I like, because I'm half kiwi
    - BUT.. Sydney fishing is better than Melb. so not moving

I don't want to start no flame wars but just have to post this BECAUSE ITS TRUUUUUUUUEEEEE

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Conclusion: Melb girls are more difficult to get?

14. mezentius

mezentius Senior member

Actually mate, the original argument was that mechanical watches keep time worse than modern digital watches. Do the Lobbs cover your feet worse than Aquilas?

Points for trying, though.

1 person likes this.
  15. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

16. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

I did. Enjoyed it immensely.

17. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

As an objective observer, Melbourne leaves Sydney bare assed.

18. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

No.

You just have to know where to look.

19. fxh

fxh Senior member

couldnthaveknow - you can still get the wrong size even when trying on in B&M shops.
    Shoe fitting is both a science and an art especially in dress shoes.
    You have the customer's, often idiosyncratic, ideas of aesthetics to consider as well as objective, and sometimes subjective, issues of fit on 3 dimensions.
    Plus the issue of a limited range of styles and lasts in the shop, and/or brand, and, going by some sales persons footwear, an almost willful ignorance of fit and style.

Given the above is a miracle that some people get fitted at all.

Its worth putting some time into analysing what it is about your unique feet, and they are unique, that is causing the difficulties.

Is it width at the heel or ball or elsewhere, is it long toes, narrow feet, flat feet, high arch, fat heel skinny heel or something else.

You also have to compromise on lasts - that skinny pointy shoe may never work for you - or brands - some won't work.
    You may have to accept that closed lacing is a big restricting factor.
    Chukkas or ankle boots are possible the most forgiving in terms of good fit.

4 people like this.
  20. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Quoting in full because it bears repeating!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.