1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Where are you located?

There are a couple of places that do invisible mending in Brisbane (Doree and TESS - Doree are terrible for any other alterations but can do invisible mending).

However (and I assume this will apply to invisible mending in other cities, too), it can be very expensive. I got a quote to repair a small hole in a shirt some years ago and was quoted $130 for the repair. Admittedly, it was a striped shirt and the small hole was partially on the white fabric and partially on the stripe so that would have made the re-weaving more complex and thus added to the cost, so it may not cost so much for a plain fabric.

2. couldnthaveknow

couldnthaveknow Senior member

Must unequivocally recommend the Stowa seatime - it is an 'elegant tank' and takes on a very different character depending on the bezel colour you choose, the dial colour, and especially band vs. bracelet. It is a little more than what you're budgeting ($900 new) but please have a consider - you can of course also hang around the sales forums and pick one up second hand closer to your money. Either way, you'll get very well made case, a true workhorse movement (my ETA 2824 has been running 9 years, no service, although needs one now), one of the few dive watches that transcends board room to bath room, sorry, I mean back room... and also one of my fav features - display movement. I think, if you make this purchase, in 10 years time you will look at your watch with much pride.

[​IMG]

Steinharts are also good, no doubt about it. Not in the same league as Stowa but very high value for money.

Sorry this is unsolicited but might just throw up an extra option or 2 for you

Coming in at a very close 2nd to the Stowa is the Seiko alpinist. Serious heritage and styling, also $500 or so. Comes in 3 styles no less, and its a Seiko which means most people will think meh, but you'll bring a smile to those who are initiated

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

This is the Glycine combat sub. I like the look of it, its a bit similar to the tudor black bay... $500 or so... most likely a sellita movement which is not bad for the money... I think this is a good conversation piece, interesting watch

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Is there a wait time for Stowa watches?

4. Superfudge

Superfudge Well-Known Member

I recently received a couple of pairs of chinos from Luxire; I sent them a pair of P Johnson trousers as a sample.

They did a good job at replicating the originals, the measurements are true to the sample I gave them, but the quality control is a bit off; I asked for side adjusters on both, one had adjuster and one came with belt loops. I also asked for 2-inch cuffs and they came back with 1.5-inch cuffs.

The pants are completely wearable, but these kind of mistakes seem common with Luxire. I had a similar issue with a shirt I ordered; they made it up in the wronmg fabric and kindly offered to make me the right one free of charge. When that one was sent through, the buttons were not the same as the ones I initially ordered.

Overall, I'm not completely satisfied. The pair of pants that I sent through were one of my earlier pairs from P Johnson and don't fit as well as some of my later pairs, but I didn't want to be out a pair of trousers for more than a month (or potentially lose them forever). I could probably order another pair and slowly get the pattern right, but then again, they might not, or the details might not be what I wanted. The whole thing is just exhausting, but then they are cheap.

Also, if you do decide to go with Luxire, get some swatches sent to you for teh fabrics you are interested in; the photos can be misleading.

1 person likes this.
  5. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

Depends on the make.. i waited 6 months for my MO and around 3 for the flieger (rip)

6. The Ernesto

Luxire strikes me as a company that could go from good to great very quickly if only they took care of their customers a bit more.

7. The Ernesto

This is what I had heard. I like their 'Bauhaus' style.

[​IMG]

8. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

What do you guys think of the Stowa Pallas line?

9. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

I think I am expressing myself poorly.

The basic point is that one can only take "handmade" so far, as to a large extent, we are largely reliant on machine precision in manufacturing. For example, even the best cars will not have handmade electronics (the gizmos that takes care of for example, traction control and anti-collision avoidance), and I doubt you will like to know the riveting of parts was done by hand.

I will bet you your bottom dollar, there is absolutely zero, ZERO, market for an MV completely manufactured and assembled by hand. Very different from say, selvage jeans. In fact, the move is towards driverless vehicles. The prototype Volvo has 18 sensors. I doubt any sane person wants their sensors handmade and handpolished.

Cars and watches share a heritage in engineering excellence. To a large extent, the excellence is a product of machine manufacturing. To overlay a misplaced romanticism on handwork, as alluded to by LonerMatt, is well....best left unsaid.

PS Marbles, I think you left out the kind of people that love engineering and technological excellence in cars. You may like to grunt it, but I like to travel in style, safety and comfort, especially if the missus and kids are involved in the equation. If I want pure performance driving, I do it on the racetrack. There is more to the equation than your black and white world.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  10. couldnthaveknow

Yeah I'd say 6 months at the outside... other thing to do is - keep an eye on Stowa's official forum (on watchuseek)... once in a while they have like a sample sale (via their newsletter, which they post up), and there are some pretty unique pieces in there and no wait time but you gotta be quick cos they go immediately!

Mate, you live in Balmain, wearin stowas, might you be my long lost brother?

Woah, vintage stuff... well, in some ways vintage watches can be a bit like vintage cars. They have superb charm and a great story, but can be unreliable. A pallas stowa diver is not to be made wet (unless you get it fully serviced of course), and might not keep the best time. I usually think vintage watches are for the experienced collector, but if you're willing to work with a vintage piece (i.e. take good care of it, pay for movement parts if need be, meticulously check water proofing, and don't mind scratching the acrylic / plexi glass) then it has a huge amount of character.

11. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

12. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Thankyou very much couldnthaveknown. That second Seiko is quite elegant.

On luxire. I did a shirt order, but I wasn't quite happy. I gave them the exact measurements for my Gitman Vintage Small, from gitman vintage. I couldn't do up the collar, and it was way to tight, almost couldn't do up the bottom button. I'm a bit confused with what to do. I do plan on getting some Thomas Mason shirts from Cottonwork made up. Any experince with cotton work?

13. Marbles

Marbles Senior member

I think you misunderstand my point - Just because the numbers are better on paper, doesn't make for real improvements in a subjective world. Each model cycle cars get faster, safer, more economical, more comfortable etc. etc., but are there really any people with an appreciation of motor vehicles going to say that a VW Golf stirs the soul more than a Lamborghini Muira?

14. California Dreamer

You convinced me. I just went and bought this NWOT, to replace my Frederick Constant that I lost a couple of years back. I promise not to go swimming with it on. [​IMG] http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181224918264#ht_147wt_1241

15. couldnthaveknow

Oh mate congrats! If I'm seeing the price right you've just bought a good piece of exclusivity (can pretty much guarantee you no one else has it) for a very good price. New old stock as well...You'd also be putting most watch collectors through their paces with this one - pallas and stowa have some history going back. Wear in good health

Very welcome, glad I have an opportunity to contribute something to this board... was thinking might be a while given my errrm blurry understanding of sartorial conceptions... I have like 8 hugo boss suits... all i can say is sigh fail hash tag yolo

16. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I think we've well and truly flogged the watch discussion lads. Lets move on to something else eh?

I've got 3 new Kamakura shirts coming 1 standard white cutaway, 1 x linen blue chambray and one of the knit shirts, which appear to be a pique knit shirt with a proper collar and cuffs, should be good under casual blazers when dressed down with denim.

3 people like this.
  17. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Ha, I used to drive a D... not a Pallas though. Eventually I tired of leaving a trail of hydraulic fluid everywhere I drove so bought something sensible and Japanese that actually could get me from A to B, rather than from tow truck to garage.

18. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

I believe you mean Sieg Heil.

1 person likes this.
  19. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Love the case shape, CD. Very distinctive. With the exception of a few notable exceptions such as Cartier's Tank and the JLC Reverso, there aren't many decent watches around anymore with rectangular or lozenge-shaped cases.
    I've been eyeing off the knit shirts, so I'm glad to hear that you've picked one up! It will be interesting to see how it looks while being worn with a jacket and dark denim.

20. California Dreamer

Thanks. The price was what you saw - $42 + $10 shipping.

I'm a sucker for Art Deco-style designs, although I understand this is from the '70s.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.