• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spandexter

Reaction score
Suit Supply - Havana (pictured with a Henry Carter navy cashmere knit)

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Anyone know where I can get a good quality nice navy/red/white striped tie (or variations of said colour scheme). I think the term I've heard for it is a 'repp' stripe? The usual suspects seem to be vanda, hober, drakes - amirite? Tempted to just go with new Herringbone ties since they moved back to Italy for production and I get a decent price on 'em through work. Figured I would receive the collective wisdom first before pulling the trigger, however.
Nothing wrong with Herringbone ties. I have thrifted a few and the Italian ones are great.

Last edited:

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Ive brought the cashmere out for the first time this year - quick #selfie

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ive brought the cashmere out for the first time this year - quick #selfie
Yes, wore mine at the Henry Carter Trunk Show for the first time this year....it was a rainy night so a great opportunity to wrap a little luxury around my neck. Such a beautiful tie, I have the light grey one. For anyone who does not have a cashmere tie I suggest you check the HC ones out.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
+1 on the collar. I'm slowly moving away from too wide a spread collar myself. The new batch of shirts are the first step towards a more conservative spread.

thanks - thats a pjohnson semi-cutaway on a higher collar stand

Tie is Drakes but looks very similar to HC which is a third of what i paid

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I ordered a brooks brothers shirt that was too big its a size 16.5" / 34" (neck/sleeve) in Extra slim fit. a decent work shirt so happy to offload it for $35 + shipping anywhere. Retails for $88 but I got it as part of the 3 for 225 deal. Just a heads up as you guys are local.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting choice of reading material. Personally I look at the questions you raised, at a surface/social level from Bourdieu in terms of cultural, social and symbolic power or using APS speech " tailoring the message to suit the needs of the audience."

First for me what is one attempting to achieve in dressing well is not being a kabuki actor, or flanuer, or face ( reading Mod a Very British Style at present). Dress codes and here I mean the personal, not professionla or age appropriate. Are reflective of who and what I am as a person,how i percieve myself as a middle aged male and how i present myself to the world. And how I wish others to percieve me.

Clothing and how it is combined is a form of signifier which is both reflective of personality ( the look ), power and status within society. Ergo I would probablly not dress the same as going to the see Bell Shakespear or the Brumbies, two socially different situatyions but in todays world socially blured.

Aside from the professional disposition, eg where I am on the corporate hierarchy. The way we dress can inspire trust,envy or hositlity and intimidate those that we are addressing. Suits are a wonderful way of expressing power in the work place and therefore achieving symbolic power in the corporate hierarchy. That is my observation here in Canberra, but when working as a rural academic years ago in the arts it was very black, a cultural creative post punk Iook and it was also political as it differentated you form the squattocracy at opening nights at cultural events.

I wonder a lot about age appropriate dressing, particularlly in terms of casual attire. I know I can wear a pea coat in winter because its warm but I would not ( persoanl taste and no politics here) wear a M65 field jacket in a casual situation. To me such a garment is not the look of who I am at my age. Maybe a Barbour but never been keen on them and they carry too much bagage in terms of signification for my taste.

Second being well dressed is socially about class, status and power. Good clothing and the abiltiy to dress well is a sign of power and money in todays society. Power equalls money therefore the line between self image and disposable income is clealry stated in how we dress.

We like to look the part for the soical role we play wheather it is work or casual, we project ourselves firstly by our appearence before we open our mouths. Being well attired is back in fashion, not that fashion has anythign to do with taste.Just look at the Goodweekend with its full page ads for DJ's and suits and racing. Deconstructing those implies a subtext that blowing your cash at the races is a symbolic of your ability to drop money on said suit and then trot off to the races and blow your cash in style, but being in said suit and with babe on arm you will be a winner.

Thirdly, taste and the abilty to project via one's clothing a personal style that demonstrates one understands what good taste and is all about. Not too flash, but a subtle well thought out ensemble which clearly states this is who I am. I have learnt how to walk the talk mind you its taken me time to achieve this but I know how to carry and project myself to the world. Taste takes time, money and exposure to the culture, noir film was one of my main inspirations in life. As I stated earlier I do come from a cultural creative background and the detached observer in me likes to look and watch the games that people play while also being on the stage with the other actors.
Good stuff Geoff, eloquent as usual.

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice trous HC, I have a midweight pair in a similar fabric. They look fantastic with a pale blue shirt and a navy blazer, a good alternative to grey pants in that context, though generally I find them much less versatile than grey. I also imagine they would go well with the rust wool tie you're bringing out, if I'm imagining that correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads