1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxh

fxh Senior member

Theres too much fetishism about stitched shoes - a good glued shoe can look good and wear well. Just because there aren't a lot of good glued shoes around doesn't mean that all glued shoes are automatically no good.

1 person likes this.
  2. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Interesting posts on watches.

So to take the logic further, and since someone mentioned cars, would you buy a car fully assembled by hand, with all parts polished and prepared by hand, at say 100x the price of a factory manufactured model?

If the answer is yes (obviously we are saying money is not a problem), let's take it further. How about a helicopter? A jet? A yacht? A space shuttle?

At some point, the logic breaks down. For me, it breaks down at watches.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  3. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Agreed. Goodyear stitching serves no pediatric or aesthetic purpose.

It's just that the brands who sell glued soles have never capitalized on traditional shoe designs.

4. jas0nt

jas0nt Senior member

Not for me. My watch's primary purpose is for me to oggle at and have a nice piece of workmanship on my wrist. Also I appreciate the history of my watch which is unparalleled by anything most people will ever wear.

I sometimes forget to wind my watch and I don't make it a priority, because the watch telling me the time is secondary.

Just like buying nice shoes, buying nice watches is because of the workmanship involved.

If I wanted a watch for its 'primary purpose' to use your words, I would go to Priceline and get a $5 watch.

5. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

Great kicks mate. Cheers

1 person likes this.
  6. Halifax

Halifax Senior member

I brought a plain white cotton pocket square as back-up. There are a few professors who are more conservative but most wouldn't notice.

7. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

In fact my podiatrist recommends against my wearing the high-end shoes that I prefer. He advocates shoes from Ecco as the best combination of shape and comfort. I shudder at the thought.

The notion that goodyear welted shoes will last a lifetime reminds me of the old "favourite axe" joke. Sure they will, provided I replace the soles every couple of years, the laces every year, the insoles every few years and fix damaged uppers maybe once or twice.

8. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

I have some great ideas for them. I just need to organise some bloody new chinos.

9. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Gez you are helpful to a fault! I thought he mentioned he already had the watch.

10. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

Interestingly my watch has been reading 2.16 since yesterday. I haven't wound it yet. I'll get round to it. Because my watch is not just about telling time.

1 person likes this.
  11. Prince of Paisley

1 person likes this.
  12. Prince of Paisley

It'll be right in about an hour.

2 people like this.
  13. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Your watch will at least tell accurate time twice a day, compared to mine which never does.

1 person likes this.
  14. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Well, some people do. Admittedly, it would be difficult to find a car that costs 100 times more than the cheapest model on the market, but you can buy a cheap Chinese import for around $10 000, and you can buy a largely hand-made, hand-assembled and hand-polished European luxury car for prices close to $1 million.

Clearly, people aren't paying that much for utility - they are paying for performance, scarcity and luxury.

Well, at least you know it will be right twice a day.

15. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Laughing hard at both of these points, particularly the second one in regards to getting my Church's restored.

I am sure he is just luring us all into a fault sense of security, then bam...he will have your tie collection or something.

"Yes PoP, just send them all down to me for cleaning....cost..no, no, no, I couldn't...oh, if you insist you can pay little for the return postage..."

16. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

I like that, so a broke watch is actually accurate more often than a watch which is a second out...

Oh, is that the time....time to move on from watches?...

2 people like this.
  17. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

I'm happy to stand corrected, since we don't look at watches just to keep the time. In my research into diving watches around about $500, at this point in time I've decided on the Steinhart Diver Ocean 1, though it appears to be sold out.

Also I'm realising fit is everything. I want to get some chinos made up luxire. I'm very happy with the fit on my Acne chinos, so I'd like to send them to luxire. Has anyone sent stuff to them before? Which method and how much did it cost?

18. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

19. scruffy

scruffy Member

Afternoon all, couple of repair queries...

I'm looking for a good invisible mender (anywhere, happy to post) as I caught the sleeve of a lightweight wool jacket and ripped a small hole and somehow a white shirt has picked up a tinge of red in the wash. It's currently soaking in Nappysan and I'm searching for answers...

Thanks

20. Marbles

Marbles Senior member

Point noted, however I think you're a little off the mark - the basic purpose of a car is to get things from A to B, and a Toyota Yaris fulfils this basic task. What it lacks in comparison to Aston Martin, Ferrari, Rolls Royce etc. is the brand cachet created by luxury fittings, phenominal performance and the old #Menswear cliche, heritage.

Offer me a DB5 or E-Type and I wouldn't hesitate, but it wouldn't be the hand-beaten panels that create the desire to own such a vehicle that by modern standards is slow, uncomfortable, dangerous and prone to mechanical or electrical failues. It is the beauty of the styling, the pleasure of actually driving a car undiluted by drive-by-wire throttles, servo assisted steering, traction control and ESP and appreciation of the mechanical engineering involved in the design.

If those qualities in a car don't do it for you, and you're an A to B kind of guy, that's fine. But for me, when I'm looking for an engaging, fun drive I'll pick my 100kW 4-cyl Citroen BX over the 270kW V8 Statesman every time, despite comfort, safety, the audio system, boot space and reliability being superior in the latter. It's not a long jump to apply the same principles to watches.

Foxy, I'd have the Triumph over some shitty Corolla every day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.