1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

1 person likes this.
  2. couldnthaveknow

couldnthaveknow Senior member

Well, in some ways I guess its like having competitions for who can run the fastest when the wheel was invented long ago, or learning to ride horses in an age of cars and segways etc. For what its worth, fax machines are still legit in Japan. LonerMatt I think bottom line is, what you need to understand, is, these watches, you see, are completely hand made. As such, its a feat of awesome engineering alright I'll stop, just joking.

Haha thanks for the support, was hoping I wouldnt be the only one!

1 person likes this.
  3. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

I can understand LM's sentiment.

Watches are the perfect way to part foolish men from wads of their money, much like Hermes handbags/Louboutin shoes for the womenfolk. Also perfect store of value if you are a Chinese industrialist wishing to transport your ill-gotten gains out of China. BTW, this has been clamped down, but not by much.

A handmade watch is BS. Most of the parts must be created by machine, and no human hands can even approach machine precision in miniature parts manufacturing. The funny thing about watches is that imperfections are not valued (may actually impede function) very unlike clothing were certain imperfections improve aesthetics.

Having said that, I can appreciate watches for their engineering and design. But in this current environment, it is hard to escape the fact that high end watches are just a way for your Bentley to say hi to my Mercedes (Roald Dahl reference, look it up).

BTW, I wear an old Mont Blanc with non-house Valjoux movement. Got another automatic cheapo dress watch from C Ward with ETA movement, and then realise what a pain in the arse it is to maintain two watches with calendar movements.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  4. couldnthaveknow

couldnthaveknow Senior member

Quote: /sarcastic font

Pete, could I interest you in a watch winder? Designed specifically for horology connoisseurs such as yourself - they wind your mechanical watches for you, so you don't have to wear them! This way, you never have to admit that you should just got a quartz, all for 1 easy installment of $500! Happy days!

/end sarcastic font

On the other things, yes, hand made watches would be weird and only really applicable for super high end (like dreaming) like the marie antoinette or the GP jackpot (this is a mechanical watch with an actual one armed bandit inside...), see it here

5. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

I was actually toying with the idea of getting anniversary watches made for me and the missus by Dornbleuth. But they dont make watches small to fit my missus' petite wrists. With the money saved, we ended in Paris instead.

No need for a watch winder. My simple solution is to wear one watch only. $500 can go towards the Louboutin fund. [​IMG]

6. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

I think the whole watch discussion opens us up too a discussion as to what is acceptable in terms of men's jewellery, and I am going beyond watches to include all manner, silver gold bracelets, leather, glass beads and what is not acceptable, and how and where their worn.

You could clearly include cuff links in this, i have a couple of antique rose gold pairs very simple in design but no French cuff shirts to wear them with, never been a fan of them but it's clearly a form of men's jewellery which does have certain dress codes attached to their wear.

I for one just wear a plain gold wedding band, the idea of a bracelet of what ever material is a bit hippie retro and particularly with business or formal ware is it a bit passé in this day and age?

Is men's jewellery just another sartorial statement or is it realising the Dandy within, anyone care to comment?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  7. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Namaste to you, my friend.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  8. BaldwinP

BaldwinP Senior member

Or, in the days of my father, if you are an Eastern European sneaking out from behind the Iron Curtain and trying to smuggle out what wealth he had in a more managable form.

I knew there had to be a practical use for watches still [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  9. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

10. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Smuggling watches brings this to mind:
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  11. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

For me, cuff links are to unleash the power of the primal dandy. They get in the way in a modern office and pretty much nobody notices them except me, because I usually am wearing a jacket over them. But I love them and I will occasionally wear the most flowery and girly links going. It's an act of quiet rebellion from dull conformity; just like some men discreetly wear riotous socks.

I wear a watch each day, although nothing OTT. I only wear my wedding rings when we go out somewhere, and I don't wear any other jewellery. I think overall I am fairly restrained, but I have my dark secret love which hopefully doth not my life destroy.

1 person likes this.
  12. acinod

acinod Senior member

13. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

^To be completely honest no one would notice; with watches I prefer to go with the gut and choose what you think looks good after 'it's just jewellery' :p

14. California Dreamer

Agree with Bunny. I've had watches with black bands, light brown, extremely dark burgundy and stainless steel. I've worn them all with suits, and nobody notices.

15. Romp

Romp Senior member

whats getting my current wrist time
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. Halifax

Halifax Senior member

I have one watch; a Raymond Weil 5466-ST-00608.

[​IMG]

I received as a birthday gift from Spitfire and enjoy wearing it.

17. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

CD

Your right about the cuff links getting in the way. Being a keyboard money I can never wear French cuffs, but I have to ask do you match cologne to your overall ensemble or how you feel?

18. wurger

wurger Senior member

the only watch I wear right now.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. California Dreamer

I tend to match my choice of cologne to the weather and how I feel. Sunny weather I tend to go for lighter, citrusy, green scents. Weather like today is more peppery and spicy, deep winter is for earthy rose, incense and so on.

You need to take account of what you will be doing too - I tend to go for low-sillage perfumes during the day in the office, and perhaps none at all if I have a really serious meeting. If I plan to go out after work, I pick something that lasts a really long time. (Alternatively, I duck into Myer on the way and help myself to a free spray of niche perfume to tide me over).

1 person likes this.
  20. Halifax

Halifax Senior member

Important seminar presentation to the group tomorrow and a dry run for the conference; any insight or constructive criticism into my intended attire?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm keen to wear the pink herringbone shirt but I don't really have a pocket square to match.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.