1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

I do hope not.

My five year old Church's have developed a small hole in the sole. Very sad.

Trying to decide what to do next.

1. Find somewhere to get them fixed in Melbourne/Australia.

2. Send them to Church's from here and get them sent back to my house in Edinburgh once fixed to collect at Christmas.

3. Send them to Church's once in the UK (or hand them in to the Edinburgh store) and get them send back to Australia.

I am leaning towards 3. (As I expect they can get cheaper shipping and maybe exclude VAT from price). Not sure of process involved, time or cost. Anyone had shoes repair by Church's or similar (seem to recall Calfornia Dreamer had C&J's fixed). I will get in contact with them too.

Other question is do I just keep wearing them until they get fixed or do I stop using them (as I have for now) so the problem does not get worse? If it is one cost for any refurbishment then maybe no harm in wearing until they are sent to be fixed.

Appreciate any experience/knowledge/general abuse about this.

Here is the offending hole in the sole.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Romp

Romp Senior member

3. Romp

Romp Senior member

Topy is for wimps [​IMG]

4. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

From the wise words of Mr Carl "CJ" Johnson.

AW SHIT, HERE WE GO AGAIN.

5. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Great - I look forward to hearing about and/or seeing the results.

6. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

Pink socks you can wear them but this will damage the midsole. This is not ideal as the may then have to replace the footbed which means you have to break it in again, some makers may or may not charge for this. I'd expect ~300 aud for option 3, I don't if that's worth it for your or not. Time depends very much on their process / how busy they are but expect maybe 4 weeks + shipping.

JM if only they could protect the uppers from my toe drags. (I know I know lift your feet.)

7. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

If you want countersunk toe taps, you really should just ask the manufacturer to put them on for you. IIRC when I spoke to G&G and Lobb they were happy to do it for a very small fee.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  8. smeggett

smeggett Senior member

Cheers - will look into it.

Landed in HK last night after coming down with a bout of gastro on the plane (not real pleasant, but all involved survived without any carnage) and am still sipping flat lemonade and eating dry crackers! Here's hoping I'm good for dinner tonight and for a Ascot Chang appointment this afternoon.

Luckily the hotel room has a cracking view across Victoria Harbour (staying in TST) so there's plenty to watch and enjoy in the meantime.

9. FredAstaire1899

FredAstaire1899 Senior member

Surely there must be a decent repairer in Melbourne that can at least do a leather half sole? Leffler leather, probably the biggest importer of shoe repair materials to Australia, is in Melbourne. In Sydney, they can stitch on a leather half sole for around $55 and a full resole for $120. Your other option would be a thicker Topy of soughts. Just like the leather half sole, they splice in ~5 mm piece of rubber from about halfway under the arch.

You also have the option of taking them to to a top quality repairer while in England, and they might only have a 1-2 week turn around. The Shoe Snob has a recommended one in London.

10. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Thanks for the advice. One of the things that puts me off getting them fixed here is that Church's will never remake/sole them (which I think is an option I want for years to come, given some results I have seen).

Not really interested in Topy (personal preference, no offence intended to anyone).

Also, I will only be going to Edinburgh, which is in Scotland...not England (don't worry not having a go, just a little fun).

That is what I was thinking to our the "inner sole". Thanks for the advice.

Think I need to email Church's to get a proper idea of my options.

11. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Just as an aside, I love Edinburgh. What a beautiful city.

Now if they could just clear out all the Scots, it would become one of the great cities of the world.

12. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Haha, dear oh dear...

Of course Edinburgh is one of the world's greatest cities.

13. Romp

Romp Senior member

Was this before or after they told you to leave for wasting their time ? lol

14. Romp

Romp Senior member

PSA - Last post ill make on Owen and James

Final Markdowns on Owen & James merchandise. All sales are final.

All shirts $50
    Popover shirt (only pink in large) $60
    White Chinos $50
    Knit ties $39
    3sixteen CS-100x jeans $149

Stock remaining:
    1x Large denim chambray shirt
    2x Small Blue Gingham shirt
    1x Medium Blue Gingham shirt
    1x Small red chambray shirt
    Plain blue dress shirt - all sizes
    White shirt - collar sizes 14.5, 16, 17, 17.5
    White chinos size 50(34) and 54 (38)
    White OCBD large
    3Sixteen CS-100X selvedge denim sizes 28,29,30,31, 34 $149
    Camo shackets all sizes in stock $50
    3x Large Pink popovers
    1x Camo driving loafer (41 eur) $140

1 person likes this.
  15. CoffeeDudeGuy

CoffeeDudeGuy Senior member

Santana with a Stratocaster, not something you see everyday. I liken a Strat to a navy suit: Can't go wrong with one.

Man, I'd like to try that coffee in Ep 6, Season 3. Regarding colour as themes in shows: (Spoiler alert?)

When the boss wears a red shirt and a red tie, and then a red suit, you know something big is about to go down...

16. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Done.

17. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I couldn't resist anymore - I just put in an order for one of the remaining pink popovers.

18. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

+1.
    Edinburgh is great.

Actually. I'm off to the Edinburgh Gardens now!

19. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Good point, MS, but if you are not buying your shoes directly from the manufacturer, particularly if you are buying them in Australia, then there has never before been a place where you could have countersunk metal toe taps applied to your shoes.

I'm not a fan of half-resoles - I think that it's better to get the whole sole re-done if at all possible.

Also, whilst things are most likely much better in Sydney than they are in Brisbane, it's still difficult in Australia to find somewhere that will do a really good job of replacing a sole on a pair of Goodyear-welted shoes. I've seen some awful, awful repair jobs that leave the soles looking awful, with huge stitches.

20. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

'Kopped your white chinos, Romp.

Was umming and ahhing about whether or not I had the cojones to wear white trousers. I may not, but my massive dick makes up for any lack of testicular fortitude.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.