1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxh

fxh Senior member

I honestly haven't checked them out for years so don't know prices now - but they used to be good value - I'd buy a few pair every year at Mountfords sales. Any other options were hideously expensive. Those shoes may nearly be older than you! (certainly more mature)

2. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

You are the expert.

Seems a long way to go (Miyajima) just for one sight, though!

Maybe Kyushu or Shikoku? Heard good things about the food in Kyushu (although I'm sure it's far from menswear Mecca).

3. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

Kitakyushu is pretty sweet. I didn't have enough time to do much sightseeing when I was there but it was a beautiful area and my japanese travel buddies were al raving about the food (unfortunately I can;t eat most seafood so my favourite japanese food has always been japanese 'style' foreign food like yaki niku).
    IME the only menswear Mecca is Tokyo. everywhere else pales in comparison.Though admittedly when I was there I was only interested in street wear.

4. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Both Kyushu and Shikoku are lovely.

With regard to Kyushu and food, it's the only place where I've been to a Japanese restaurant where a live fish was scooped out of a tank and, within what seemed like seconds, sliced open and filleted in front of me into a serving of sashimi for myself and my dining companions. So fresh that it was almost still alive as we were eating it.

Speaking of which, the table next to us were having octopus, where the chef sliced off a tentacle and served it up while the octopus was still living, but that struck me as rather barbaric.

I spent a few weeks wandering around the inland sea some years back, including travelling around Shikoku and along the inland sea coast of Honshu (and I stayed in the aforementioned Okayama International Villas). It's a really lovely area and the people were very kind and generous - I almost lost count of the number of times I had oranges, sandwiches, mochi (Japanese rice cakes) or other food pressed upon me by total strangers. The Japanese dialect spoken by some of the older people, particularly those on the islands, was very difficult for me to understand, though.

I agree that Tokyo is certainly the best place for Menswear but if Romp has a browse through Men's Ex, Leon, and other such Japanese clothing mags, he'll be able to find the addresses for some good clothing shops around Osaka/Kobe and other places around Kansai.

1 person likes this.
  5. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

They do: [​IMG]

6. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Which one is that?

I remember they had a nice one in their 2x$1K range for a while, but it disappeared.

7. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Romp, Koji Suzuki of Spigola is in Kobe I believe.

1 person likes this.
  8. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Thanks for all the comments and thumbs, and some other comments earlier on. It's nice to get positive feedback as well as negative.

I agree that SF has been good for my style, and so I will continue to post fits and take hits.

1 person likes this.
  9. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

Tailor Caid Romp! Great look Cox and nice shoes Romp!
    Gonna save for a nice chukka once winter comes around since I wear shorts too often in the summer.
    And wow by Ring Jacket, darn being in the Southern Hemisphere and envying the fact that most menswear stuff is posted from the Northern Hemishpere :(
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  10. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Anyone into cars on here? This is my Jensen Healy. It was my old man's, he bought it back in '76 in England and brought it back with him. He's moved onto bigger things. I'm going to do a full restoration, probably start when Uni's over in a month. Fuck the lotus engine out of there. Carburetors are so unreliable these days. Going to repaint with Lotus Green.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. Halifax

Halifax Senior member

I never really got into cars. I'm more of a 'theoretical' engineer. That is the trend these days, more time modelling/simulating and less time in the workshop. However, avoiding the grease hasn't improved the dress code.

Along the lines of agreeable diversions, I feel as though I need to buy a nice Scotch whilst I'm abroad. PS thank goodness the Yanks got their act together, or I wouldn't have been going.

12. Prince of Paisley

Mmmm... The British never admit to making an engineering mistake, so when they realise they have a faulty (ahem, less than perfect) design, they don't discard it, but rather invent a complicated solution to patch over the symptoms of their mechanical malpractice. Oh, and they were built by communists who would rather man a picket line than an assembly line. Stay safe OP. Literally - don't lose it on a bend or worse, leave your date stranded while you're calling the NRMA over a boiling radiator on a mildly hot day.

13. sliq

sliq Senior member

Romp, lovely carminas. i'm cut they don't have 8UK's on their site. [​IMG]

14. Prince of Paisley

It's the Senji. Actually the collection range are lovely suits, though pricey. They had 20% off recently which brought them down to around $1k which made them pretty good value IMO.

They also have this one which is 2 for $1.5k, but it's not as nice IMO.

[​IMG]

15. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

If you haven't yet, why don't you email them to ask if they will be making a run of them anytime soon?

I believe this is what Pink Socks did for his string loafers.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  16. CoffeeDudeGuy

CoffeeDudeGuy Senior member

I appreciate cars, but want to get into motorcycles though. I like the idea of restoring old cafe racers. Plan to start some lessons/license over summer.

17. Romp

Romp Senior member

thanks bud

awesome .. beef + shoes

im blown away. these shoes are amazing. I wouldnt ever bother with Meermins again at ~$250 when these are $400 and 10x better

18. Prince of Paisley

Don't do it my friend. Your barista will lose his best customer, though at least you could give some other SF members an occasion to wear their black knits to your funeral.

3 people like this.
  19. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Hahahaha.
    Email betty. She will still do free shipping if you get them from one of the other stores.

I'm not allowed a motorbike at home. I plan on doing this one day. Have the Jensen and a lovely bike.

20. Prince of Paisley

There is a pair of captoes I could see myself in. Someone should jump on (in?) these.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.