Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richard-burrows

richard-burrows Member

Australian Shoe fair was the one to check out with great designs.

2. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

I have an iron, ironing board and showers at work. I don't have a lockable storage space to store my clothes. There is no way I'm leaving my suits 'unguarded' in a work change rooms..even the 2nd-hand ones I got off eBay and thriftshops for peanuts...as they can't be replaced.

3. Axel Ferguson

Axel Ferguson Senior member

What are you guys doing on your bikes that you can't wear your nice clothes? Worried the pant seat wears out too quickly? Or is it the sweating that's a problem?

4. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

What are you guys doing on your bikes that you can't wear your nice clothes? Worried the pant seat wears out too quickly? Or is it the sweating that's a problem?

A combination of factors, I suppose:

- sweat;
    - friction, particularly with regard to trousers; and
    - creasing, again particularly with regard to trousers.

Most modern bikes don't have chain guards, for example, and I for one don't particularly want to stuff the bottom of my right trouser leg into my sock so that it doesn't get stuck in the chain and covered in grease.

Also, I have SPD pedals on my bike and thus wear cycling shoes. I don't think that they'd look too flash with a suit.

Perhaps another way of thinking about this issue would be ponder the question, "Would you go for a 30-minute jog wearing a suit?"

5. "6"

"6" Senior member

Potential SF member spotted on Swanston St: I remember red socks, black tassel loafers, knit tie and possibly PS.

6. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

Unlike the rest of the hispter posers on their single-speed bikes form the northern suburbs..I actually ride my bike when I commute. This involves sweating.

Which is why I wear Lycra cycling gear....which is oh so unfashionable!

PS in a recent survey Thornbury and Northcote bike riders were being fined about three times the Melbourne average for not wearing a helmet..presumably because a helmet ruins the hipster quiff.

7. stereoscopic

stereoscopic Member

Riding hard in Sydney traffic = wet through in winter and dripping wet in summer..
    Shirts pull at the back and I've blown too many crotches to wear anything but Knicks on the bike..

I'd love to be able to cruise dandy style on an upright, but I just can't ride that way..
    Plus riding hard on the commute is the only exercise I get..

8. Axel Ferguson

It's just that I'm in the Netherlands, and you're just born on a bike here, so you see everyone from businessmen to little old ladies on their bikes. Nothing dandy about an upright bike with chain guards here.

Here 5+ gear, sport bikes are more seen as odd for using to get to and from work. But I guess that's just a cultural difference.

9. stereoscopic

stereoscopic Member

Its partly cultural and party the nature of the terrain and roads.

Far more people ride in the Netherlands, which in turn means the traffic and infrastructure are more accommodating. In Sydney it's pretty hilly (unless you really plan your routes) and you have to keep up with the cars as much as possible to stay safe.

Dutch city bikes are lovely, but they arnt terribly well suited to Sydney's current cycling situation.

10. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

Agreed - but distance is also a big factor. Sydney is roughly twelve times larger than Amsterdam so the average commutes will be longer.

11. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Holland is also mostly flat. Completely different here. Even my wife, who's from the flat as a pancake San Joaquin Valley in California, complains about the hills here when we go cycling.

12. Axel Ferguson

Yes I can see how hills would make you sweat and all that.

Concerning distances, I do a 40 minute bike commute myself, and it is a good way to keep yourself active. Hurray for biking.

13. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

It's not as bad in winter, obviously (though I'm a sweater regardless of the season), but in summer it's a killer.

14. Sator

Sator Senior member

In other news.... I saw RM Williams have released a captoe adelaide shoe.

Interesting:

[​IMG]

Good on them for expanding out into a new territory.

More on this shoe here:

http://www.rmwilliams.com.au/home.as...CD6850AE70656#

15. Sator

Sator Senior member

fxh is the Australian vox sartoria.

No, that's Shooey.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.