1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Haha, that's exactly what I have, and all I have.

3. Nolvadex

Nolvadex Senior member

Updated :)

1 person likes this.
  4. couldnthaveknow

couldnthaveknow Senior member

hey, just went through the exact process you did. Could really recommend the Jap brands

In order of my perception of quality:
    Ohba (I bought two from them - have been meaning to do a proper review)
    Somes (looks excellent, very positively reviewed - definitely worth a look based on your image, their styling is closest)
    Herz (very impressive stuff, albeit in my opinion not quite up to Ohba, possibly because their bags are unlined which I don't like)
    Porter yoshidakaban.com (medium level price points, so $500-$1000, but good quality at those levels)

I dont have experience with these 2 brands but their offerings look very attractive and price points are more towards the $500 mark.
    Hergopoch www.hergopoch.com
    Anniary http://www.aniary.com

If you don't like the Jap ones (only Ohba actively sells to Aus. The others you'd have to go through tenso or similar), you could consider these Italian ones

Not in any order:
    Giorgio Fendon (its a mid tier brand, the quality is not superlative but then the prices are not superlative either, good value)
    Il Bistonte (Although not universally lauded I have seen them personally and to me it looks pretty good espcially leather quality. Feels soft but its nice and tick. Available locally too so you can try before you buy)
    Zanelleto (again not universally praised but good price points and I quite like their styling. Atrocious customer service though, emails very rarely get replied)

Alright so that was a bit of an information dump. If you let me know your price point I could whittle that down

Gluck!

5. fxh

fxh Senior member

On the topic - I have checked out cheap shoes for something I'm doing.
    Rivers has a far bigger range and they seem better quality too and a cheaper price than Target.
    $28 at Rivers for passable black shoes in a range of styles.
    If you just want a passable interview shoe, that still looks better than 98% of oz men, then Rivers is the go.

6. Halifax

Halifax Senior member

Good to see the Brisbane CBD in tha background of the top picture...

7. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

Incidentally, my mother was just saying that the shoe-cabinets back home are a lot more roomy now that I've moved the bulk of my shoes Down Under.

She doesn't have that many shoes. Her collection of saris: that's another situation altogether.

8. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

I think one pair of my shoes (the C&J Audleys) cost more than my wife's entire shoe collection put together.

1 person likes this.
  9. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

No worries glad you like it!

Yep Gerry is right, only one of the #17 is left now.

10. fxh

fxh Senior member

While there is no denying a stark elegance lingering around a plain black closed laced captoe - see wurgers thread for evidence - it is not the best shoe to have if you only have one or two dress shoes.

I've said it before and I'm about to say it again. Here I go.

A black dress (not country) brogue or semi brogue is the most versatile shoe if you only have one or two shoes. (Even then a country brogue open laced will still serve well)
    If you have only two dress shoes the other one should be a brown brogue or semi brogue. (This assumes you have sneakers and boots etc)

A semi, or full, brogue black shoe in a slightly refined last will take you from a wedding to the boardroom and to a funeral and to everyday work - if you are white collar - without embarrassment at any of those functions. Not only no embarrassment but as you look around will even provide you with some pride.

The black captoe gospel is only reified on internet clothing forums.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  11. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Excellent choice of words, fxh.

12. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Hey thanks for replying mate especially with all the detail much appreciated. Liking the range of Bordeux coloured bags/briefs on one of the sites. Would be interested to see pics/review of your Obha purchase but looks like that was a tad above what I was looking to spend.

In the end I stumbled upon an Australia site selling the Knomo for a good price and a great return policy so jumped on that. Have book marked those two middle ground links though, thanks again.

13. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

The only kind of shoe I don't have [​IMG]

14. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Romp, welcome to my world [​IMG]

Very nicely done!

Today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] More likely better cared for as well. My wife doesn't take care of her shoes at all.

1 person likes this.
  15. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Same here, have heaps more shoes than my girlfriend! It helps that she doesn't exist though.

16. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

+1

How so?

17. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Co-incidentally, exactly what I am wearing today - black C&J Selbournes. My business rotation is based around 4 C&Js: the Selbournes, black and brown Audleys, and brown Westfields. (Fridays I go for something a little less dressy, like an EG suede brogue, Loake Hilton etc).

I generally find I reach for the brogues ahead of the cap-toe Audleys nearly all of the time. They just seem more interesting to me. That said, I'd go with the cap-toes for an interview or something more formal than the run-of-the-mill work day.

18. andrewjamesdean

andrewjamesdean Senior member

Further to my quest for some loafers, I've come to the conclusion that Meermin is the way to go. I'll send an email across to them, and will hopefully get my sizing sorted out that way.

If I'm ordering RTW, does Meermin generally ship quite quickly?

So now I need to come to a landing on what type of loafers to get - penny or tassel?! In the not too distant future, I can see that I will probably end up with one of each, but in the meantime I'm not sure which should be the first purchase. Is one considered more versatile than the other? Either choice will be dark brown.

While I will mostly wear the loafers with shorts/denim, I also wouldn't mind wearing them to a few summwe weddings I have coming up, with a navy suit. Does that aid in the decision of penny vs tassel?

Any advice is greatly appreciated (except for any advice telling me that loafers are too casual to wear with suits - I understand that view, but it's not for me!)

19. Dusty Brogues

Ok Foxy enough is enough! I propose that as a group this thread should create a Scope of Works for your good self to snare a girlfriend! She will be the Foxhoundness... She is out there, somewhere! By the power vested by this thread you will damn find her!

Suggestions igents?

20. Dusty Brogues

Given your thoughts on those two areas l recommend Tassel, burgundy at that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.