1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

^ sorry bro, Check Star has already messaged me about the pants. Maybe check with Romp if he has any left?

2. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

No fret dude. You snooze you loose.

I'm tossing up between PJ's, SS, O&J, and Luxire for my next pair of chinos or linen trousers.

Seriously hard shit. Struggling here.

3. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

Some years ago I foreswore white in favour pale blue solids and stripes, with the odd pink. Then I decided I might prefer dark suits and white shirts.

The truth is, there's a place for everything. A white shirt looks great with a navy suit and a vivid tie, but a grey suit tends to want a bit of colour to warm it up, I feel.

Were I to have a choice of one shirt for the rest of my life, I might go white, but fortunately that's not a choice we have to make....

4. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

Very true Mr Firmin, he was a genious, albeit a very troubled one. Did you read the book regarding the theory of his death? I can't remember the name....

5. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

So this has probably been covered before, but seeing as I have been raving on about ties, it's a natural segue.

You work in an environment where all the other males both senior and junior do not wear ties unless they are visiting a client (professional services). A shirt and tie, undeniably looks great. Would you create a 'sartorial barrier' between you and your colleagues for the sake of looking good? If it made you feel uncomfortable would you still do it, because it supposedly brings an 'air of authority'? No matter how well a white shirt and grey suit is done, will it always look terrible without a tie?

I'm obviously going to get biased answers as everyone on here prides themselves on their ties, but honestly, with the Australian corporate landscape going tie less, should the art of tie wearing be left only to those that can truly wear ties in the most nonchalant of manners?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  6. Halifax

Halifax Senior member

In the academic community, very few wear a shirt and tie combination on an average day; especially the students (ie my colleagues). Only conferences and review meeting warrant a tie, and in this circumstance would include a suit.

In fact, I tend not to wear a tie without a jacket as I didn't think this was appropriate. Should I change the way I think about ties with just shirts?

7. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

I will most probably end up in an office where I don't have to wear a suit. But I will. I think you should wear a tie. It looks good.

My Dad is an executive, works in the CBD etc. I remember him a few years ago saying he was disappointed that people aren't wearing ties anymore. He doesn't don a tie to work anymore. He goes to work the same day in his grey Peter Jackson and Aquilla square toed oxfords. White shirt, no tie. I keep pointing out that he should wear a tie, but he insists that he'd be the only one doing it. He did say he won't hire anyone who turns up to an interview without a tie, however.

8. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

If everyone is wearing a suit its not that bigger deal to wear a tie.

If the dress standard is business casual however and you're wearing a full suit and tie constantly you have problems.

Doing law, most seem to hang a tie and jacket on the back of the door for important conferences and court.

9. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Your entire post is full of contradictions! But I see what you are saying.

I also finally understand what you mean by:
    "My dad is an executive"
    "I work hard for my money"

Uh huh.

10. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

It's late.

If you all must know. I bust my ass in a pizza joint to purchase my things. My parents don't give me cash. They put a roof over my head and food on the table, for that I'm very grateful.

3 people like this.
  11. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

When you are in the office, slaving away at your desk completing some pseudo analysis, you are not doing it in your suit jacket. In fact, 95% of the day you'll only be seen in shirt and tie.

12. lukejackson

lukejackson Senior member

In all fairness foxhound, i feel people may just be a bit jeolous. It sounds like you dont have any bills (though perhaps a mobile etc). After cutting out these plus food, you probably have more disposable income than most people on this forum, and i dont mean any disrespect to anyone here. I'm sure some of you have bulk cash. Myself, with no car and cutting down on the basics, e.g. no ice, can eveb afford a small purchase a week, though most of my money goes to grog. Bearing in mind im a student, but the aistralian minimum wage is pretty damn good.

13. Halifax

Halifax Senior member

I appreciate that, but a jacket would be near by and part of your ensemble entering/leaving work. I was referring to wearing a just a shirt and tie as your complete dress for the day.

14. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Am I the only one that likes wearing suits? Theres times when I take the jacket off and roll up the sleeves but if im suited up I actually like being in it for the day not just for the cpl of hours with clients.

I wonder though do you think outside of politics and the law the suit in dying out in Australia? I guess its hard to gauge as we're all in our own respective environments but liaising with some very large wealth management businesses in recent months it has been surprising to me that even at the senior executive level a complete dearth of suiting.

15. JayH

JayH Senior member

^
    I met a friend (who works at the silver doughnut) for lunch today.

Very disappointing form from all age groups, sloppy rigs and sloppy dressers.

I am glad I am not going into finance.

16. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Oh crap, it's a city of 23+ million inhabitants. Where to start?

Food: I don't particularly like Shanghainese food, but if that's what you're after, try Jessie Restaurant on Tianping Lu. Guangdong cuisine: Hengshan Xiaoguan on Wan'an Xi Lu. Sichuan food: Sichuan Citizen on Donghu Lu. Xinjiang food: Sapar on Yuyuan No 1. Branch Road. Hunan food: South Memory (many branches) or GuYi on Fumin Lu. Burgers: New York Steak and Burger at Tianzifang. Italian: Da Marco on DongZhu'anBang Lu (not the other branches). Turkish: Garlic on oh I forget the street. French: any number of swanky high-end places at which you will get ripped off. Views: M on the Bund. Well, those are my faves, but there's any number of other great nosh-up ops around town. Don't forget to try the lamb-urine-marinated rat meat skewers from any street corner BBQ. Oh yeah, and xiaolongbao. You have to go out to Jiading for those, that's where they were invented, or so they say.

Moving right along. Sight-seeing: nothing beats just travelling on the metro and observing people. This evening I had a great free show outside Xaanxi Nan Lu metro station where a 40-ish Shanghainese mulaohu was screaming at her bloke in a high-pitched razor voice full of 2nd and 4th harmonics, fit to cut diamonds. She saw me staring at her and broke off for a few moments to say "ni hao!" to me. Classic Shanghai moment.

Forget the standard tourist attractions (apart from the Yu Gardens). Go to LuJiaZui metro station, get out, walk to the circular elevated walkway nearby and ogle all the tall buildings. The Shanghai Tower is still under construction. It's already the world's second-tallest building, and with the four cranes on top, it's taller right now than it will ever be. Astonishing stuff.

Shopping: fuggedaboudit, unless you like buying fakes. If you want silk, catch a fast train (300kph) to Suzhou. You need local knowledge though.

We have some extremely crazy Canucks right here in Shanghai. Hit me up with a PM when you're about to arrive and I will tee up a beer or three with several thoroughly fucked-up examples.

Hope this helps, Cheegro.

2 people like this.
  17. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Fox, you're cool. You have discipline and order in your life and you will go far. Having the folks look after certain basics is a bonus, but I'm sure you would have your shit together even if they weren't providing that support.

1 person likes this.
  18. jmills

jmills Senior member

Went to a presentation at one of the big six this week, and there was not not single person sans tie. I was impressed.

19. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Those Jo Flom wannabes are the legal world equivalent of a mcdonalds.

Most well dressed lawyers seem to be barristers or come from boutiques.

20. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Academic dress standards don't exist in this country. Its open slather in the creative humanities, some education people I know used to wear shirt and tie and sports jackets. Never saw a suit unless it was graduations. Most lectures go for a "I am a cultural creative look" WTF that is these days.

Maybe for science its different?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.