1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

1 person likes this.
  2. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

As much as I love that movie, red stationery is thoroughly disconcerting.

I'm tossing up between the following:

A J.Burrows from Officeworks - $13

[​IMG]

A Swingline 747 in black - $37

[​IMG]

Or potentially to be a little more old world, a Swingline 747 Classic - $32
    [​IMG]

Leaning towards option #2 as all metal may last longer.

3. Romp

Romp Senior member

They are all pretty horrid.. Tell her to walk down the Frasi and get Simone to pick you a surprise.

1 person likes this.
  4. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

This is a question for which I struggle to provide an answer and can change my mind for seemingly no reason depending on the day, but of the two, which do you prefer:

1. Carmina Double Monk (Inca Last)
    2. Alfred Sargent "Ramsey" Double Monk (99 last)

5. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

I hear the ballers wear Ramseys.

Actually they are both beautiful. I went with the AS ones because the ones I got were a limited edition model that caught my eye but you would look great (and be very happy with) both.

Gerry and I are 1/2 size bigger than you (I think) but he has the Inca and I have the Ramsey if you want to compare.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  6. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

7. Gerry Nelson

Well said!

8. thebrownman

Thanks, guys!

In other news, wearing my new Owen and James popover today, this one's in pink. Pink stops me looking so pale.... and popovers make Mondays feel like The Weeknd.

4 people like this.
  9. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Vote Pink!

2 people like this.
  10. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Best shirt - I love it. I wear mine once a week. So much so, that people ask me if I have any other shirts. At least they're paying attention.

11. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

We are all senders and receivers our clothing is not only a barometer of our sartorial knowledge and skill, it is also dictated both by our interior self image and the environment in which we socially interact. Clothing can state power, influence & prestige all through the cut and colour of ones cloth.
    There are unspoken rules we adhere too and take delight in breaking, not just for the sake of it but as a means to express both personal freedom, knowledge and power. In business and social situations we constantly seek advantage and the accumulation of social capital, which affects our standing within the community.
    Colour and how we respond as senders and receivers is dictated not just by taste, education, and social experience but through the emotional state we are at the time. Our perception of colour is constantly being mediated by the environment and those within in it, perception is never objective. Psychologists and interior designers have used colour to seek to influence behaviour in institutions, and the social environment I recently read of project that Brian Eno was involved in with a hospital in the UK to develop a healing space for patients. Light is experienced via its affects in an environment and how we perceive and react to it, hence the subjective experience which then affects our psychological states, stimulus and response . This is what they are he same as they are attempting to achieve with the Eno room.
    Light has the ability to affect our moods and hence our perception, fxh I imagine with your rural upbringing you would be acutely aware of how dramatic the turning of the seasons are, how you can walk out one morning and see that the world has turned from the pale sky of summer to the deepening blue of autumn. One of the things I have enjoyed about rural life is that clear demarcation of the seasons. The examples you cite from weather not only account for atmospheric elements affecting colour perception they should also take into account the psychological impact on the individual. Mrs. GF has a BA in Visual Arts and being a painter she and I discussed the psychological impact of colour, Impressionist painters engaging ‘en plein air’ also had to contend with the fluctuations and inconsistency of light as it traversed the site of their work, light and the passage of time in the environment. Its also interesting to note that Monet was short sighted and this also affected his interpretation and translation of his painterly environment. I found this out years ago after an exhibition at the AGNSW I went out took of my glasses and voila, instant impressionist landscapes. Mind you this does not account for the genius of Monet but his visual perception is a contributing factor to his output. An other example of this is the later work of Lloyd Rees some of which is remarkable in terms of its abstraction with colour and light due to his failing eyesight.
    Also if memory serves me correct doesn’t our shorter distance to the equator also affects the quality of light that we get in summer as opposed to the quality of light in a European summer?
    We all know that particular colours suits not only our physical complexion but also our state of mind better than others. What causes this is our state of mind, emotions, and general sense of self at the time. Certain bright colours force us be more outgoing, after all its hard to hide in a pink polo. For work we chose colours which articulate our authority so I guess what throws people about a pink OCBD, stripes or just a solid pink is it fundamentally clashes with business conventions and accepted norms of behaviour which are associated with the environment. For the receiver in this case the signals are mixed, there not the standard uniform or you could even say that the wearer is not playing by the accepted rules.
    Colour and its interpretation both as a sent and received signal rely not just on light but on our psychological make up in terms of interpretation. I would say it’s a case of the more we know the more we can use this both to our advantage and our enjoyment.

12. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

I'm in the process of looking for Double Monks. I'm interested in the Church's Cowes the most, the AS Ramsey looks quite similar though. In terms of quality where do Carmina, Alfred Sargent, Crockett and Jones and Church's sit?

What's the difference between the limited edition and the standard Ramsay?

Disappointed I missed out on the Agnelli popover :(

13. JayH

JayH Senior member

AS exclusive - C&J Hand
    Carmina
    C&J Bench- AS
    Church's

IMO

14. thebrownman

What I don't like about the Cowes is the way the top buckle is cut so straight. What looks great on the Carmina, and to a lesser extent on the AS Ramsey, is the way the top buckle "sweeps" across the vamp and side of the shoe. It looks more elegant.

15. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

Who else is stuck at work on a public holiday?

16. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

1. All pretty similar in my experience (if you look at AS Exclusive range). Some people do not rate Church's. I have three pairs and am very happy with the quality. Just avoid the Bookbinder leather. my problem with Churchs is that I have not seen a Double monk style of theirs I like.

2. The limited edition were a one off for A Fine Pair of Shoes in snuff suede with golden buckles, very similar to these ones made for Ovadia and Sons.

http://linenforsummertweedforwinter...utfits-ideas-for-snuff-suede-double-monks-for
    http://linenforsummertweedforwinter...243/outfit-ideas-for-snuff-suede-double-monks
    [​IMG]

3. No O&Js popovers left in your size in any colour Foxy? Damn shame they are a great product (unfortunately the sizing does not quite work for me). Other places that sometimes have nice popovers - Gant Rugger (I wear mine almost weekly), Brooks Brothers and Sid Mashburn (shipping pricey but I think you have a US postal connection).

17. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

18. Gerry Nelson

Foxhound, the standard Ramsey double monks are calf, the limited edition were suede - that's the difference. If you were after Carmina, look at the pair on the Simpson last if you have narrow feet. The Inca last suits wider feet.

1 person likes this.
  19. thebrownman

GN, do you wear your Carmina Inca DM's frequently?

20. burnso

burnso Senior member

Nice spot, I agree.

FH, I rate my Church's above my Carmina's (mainly in leather and build quality, not comfort), and below my AS's.
    But I think those listed are pretty much on par with each other, its just comes down to the last and styling IMO (ie my Church's are a more rounded toe, and a bit chunkier and 'classic' compared to C&J and Carminas for example...)

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.