1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. herringbonePete

herringbonePete Senior member

I took them - I consider them a bargain. I don't see the point in buying better than Loake/Herring. 120 for 2 pairs which will last 10 years plus.

Although I'm normally a 7.5g, the 7.5f is great. The 7f is a little tight but they are stretching already and I only plan to wear them once a month of an evening.
    The 7.5f is now topied and on weekly rotation. I'm getting the lingo!

I now know exactly what to get when using Loake or Herring last. (026?)

1 person likes this.
  2. herringbonePete

I love striped shirts (second to checks) and this post reminded me I have a list of requirements not really based on anything but a gut feel but which I now attempt to quantify...!

I like stripes; almost always normally blue and white.
    I don't like the stripes where one stripe is needle thin and the other blocky - certainly fine or in a different texture like JM says.

I dislike the thin stripes as looking too try hard or cheap, and I don't like the same effect on a suit either. It is indeed very English to like blocky striped shirts - I see the forum Film Noir
    Blog has an article on what it is to be an Englishman and shirted...

I do have a TM lewin striped shirt where the overall effect is a bit satiny which is beautiful. Sadly it has a stain I can't remove...

I seem to like striped shirts where the stripes are of medium width and about the same width...!
    Are there any SF theories or rules of thumb?

3. herringbonePete

Should have googled..
    It appears I am a fan of Bengal and Candy stripes.
    I do have a shirt (Bengal?) where one stripe is half the width of the other.
    Pedant alert!

4. fxh

fxh Senior member

foxy - I'm a bit boggled at your casual ability to spend $$ whenever you feel like it - still - good luck I guess.

On the other matter - the shoes can't be more than half a size to big or small - can they?

That should be easily enough fixed by stretching or insoles or padding etc.

Still if money is easy come easy go it doesn't matter.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. JayH

JayH Senior member

Working on it. The only photos of me wearing it are selfies with my GF.

6. iSurg

iSurg Senior member

Foxy, hard to find the perfect shoe unless you go bespoke. I suggest working with what you already have and try some of the methods fxh talked about. Don't throw it all away if you haven't tried these things.

7. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

I'd be keen on pictures of the mrs.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

It says something about this thread that the biggest bigtimer on here is a 19 year old.

6 people like this.
  9. Tenance

Tenance Active Member

I can't view the Orlebar sale either. It re-directs me to a different URL with no sale tab and everything full priced.

It works if you follow this address (the one from the screencap): http://www.orlebarbrown.com.au/men/private-sale/0b162382Br0wn2o13
    I received my shipping confirmation on a Tuesday, and it arrived on the Friday of the same week.

1 person likes this.
  10. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

When I was his age I blew all my cash on anime :(

1 person likes this.
  11. JayH

JayH Senior member

There are enough photos of girls doing selfies on instagram, lets keep SF safe from that!

+1 on Pediwear, always prompt service. Meermin on the other hand.....

12. fxh

fxh Senior member

PoP - I'm cooking so I have a Morrocan Stew or something in the oven. I invented it - but I should give it a fancy name. Anyway lets wait until foxy responds. On a quick calculation his shoes cost more than my car.

On the matter of colours climate and landscape - as sense of place if you like - Theres no doubt the early European white artists, painters mainly, had problems with the light here. Its often described as harsher, brighter - thats true if you have say the northern European light as a reference. However we know that our light isn't unnatural - Its just our light. . Presumably similar to south african light and south American light around the same latitude etc moderated by climate and sea influences. .But that UK northern light is filtered by clouds, not blue skies and is also filter through lots of moisture droplets in the damp air - so that if you like its the northern light thats strange. Its filtered, given a strange effect by the moisture in the air. The constant moisture. Nothing really ever dries out like we are used to. So that their greens are deeper if duller. Everything there is softer as if seen through a vaseline filter or a smoked glass.

It seem to me as if that might suggest that over there people would opt for vivid bright colours that have sharp edges - as a contrast to the daily presentation of the landscape. And that conversely here we might prefer muted colours and soft edges - again as a contrast to the landscape.

But is that what occurs??

got to check cooking

13. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

What do you guys wear as a second layer/outerwear in summer?

14. fxh

fxh Senior member

For Sale -

Price Drops all round.

Spring Cleaning Sale - shirts jacket chinos - check my listings. Bargains.

15. md2010

md2010 Senior member

True 80% of the time. And 20% of the time you are really ****ed.

16. Prince of Paisley

Hey mate, been meaning to follow up on this so thanks for prompting me.

I agree with your thesis, I think it's the same as what I'd concluded. I've also come across some literature that supports what we are saying, but also prompted me to think that even within the various latitudes and climates, how light reflects on us based on our surrounds (buildings, bush, concrete plazas - flourescent lights) will all affect our perceptions of colour.

The article dealt with animal's perceptions of colour based on diffuse or direct light environments - e.g. open plains versus heavily forested areas or under cloud cover. Different light environments favour different coloured ambient light spectra (red, yellow-green, white, blue-grey, purplish), which in turn impact on perception of colours.

Perceived colors of animals, flowers, and fruits depend upon the interaction between ambient light color and the reflectance color of the animal or plant parts. As a result, an animal or plant may have a different appearance in each environment, i.e., a color pattern may be relatively cryptic in some light environments while relatively conspicuous in others.

The article went on to point out that all the various light environments are present in Europe, Africa, Australia etc. based on the fact that you have dense/wooded/cleared forest environments in all this areas. Obviously for our purposes we are basically concerned with the urban light environment. One could assume this is largely homogenous in big cities, meaning that the greatest impact on colour perception will be cloud cover, the angle of incidence of the sunlight, and how it reflects from secondary sources such as buildings (impacted of course by the incidence - which is affected by latitude, time of year and time of day).

So Australian light, on average, is certainly different than British. Harsher. Less diffuse more of the time. More direct. Perhaps closer to Italian or Spanish light, which could be correlated for the preference for the colour palettes of those countries in the way we dress. And conversely why some combinations jar with us here, that would seem pale or washed out in wetter, cooler climes. You could take it further and argue Brisbane light or Sydney light is different to Melbourne light, where cloudy skies are more likely to diffuse the spectra, at least at certain times of the year.

As an aside was watching a bit of an art documentary by Waldemar Januszczak today - the same bloke that recently described a John Olsen painting as "a cascade of diarrhoea" (probably quite right there actually but I will defer the art criticism to GF). He started with a nice piece about the light in Venice, and how it attracted Turner. Obviously as you alluded to fxh this concept of "photosympathy" has been appreciated by artists for hundreds of years, and perhaps subconsciously by well dressed men and women as well. Don't know how Turner would have gone painting an Australian landscape, though he would have had fun with Sydney's smog.

17. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Oi Cocksucwhatever, walks around in Canali and Tom Ford. Can't be beaten.

1 person likes this.
  18. fxh

fxh Senior member

I'm up to the last 30 minutes of cooking. Ms fxh has the flu and as well as being doped up is watching iView with Anne Summers and Julia. So I'm being careful.

Turner would have got it all wrong. Ms. is a painter and has a Fine Art degree so we talk about this a lot. In truth I just listen but I also have been dragged to every gallery in every place I've every been. I learnt a lot about seeing. Properly.

If you look at von Guérard's stuff , and I've looked at shiploads of it, its clear he couldn't see things like kangaroos and gum trees properly. He also couldn't understand the light here. Hes a great example of the general European/colonialist inability to see what was really here.

As an aside. And an important one on clothing, one of the great lessons from art and visual perception is that people don't /can't often really see what is in front of them. Seeing is not objective. This is never addressed on these clothing forums But a brief look at the paintings of the early white settlers, von Guérard being one of the most prolific and talented, shows what people, even trained lookers like artists, cant see. Imagine what the average punter and forum habitué doesn't really see in outfits and colours.

oops stove alarm just went off. Time to put cous cous on.

19. Prince of Paisley

Yeah but then he complains about how much it's lightened his load. Medium time.

1 person likes this.
  20. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Well, to be fair, just about all my Canali stuff, and my single TF suit, were all bought at half price, thanks to the wonder of Half Yearly Sales.

On the other hand, yes, I've spent way too much on clothes this year and it has to stop.

Yeah, right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.