1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iSurg

iSurg Senior member

Thanks, Ernesto.

Stayed west of the Tevere, 10 min walk to everything. Nice little B&B. Vatican Museum and Palatino have been my favourite sights so far.

2. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Sydney really needs to go up, not out. Australians have this fear of high rise apartments, yet demand reasonable house prices. It just isn't possible.

3. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Sydney needs good and reliable public transport. Way overdue for an underground metro. Everyone wants to live near the city because commuting and parking are nightmarish. You can get cheap fancy digs out in the boondocks if you dont mind 2 hour travel each way every working day. Problem is current rail infrastructure is at least 10 years behind (as of the date of the Waterfall report), and if we start spending the money now (money which the govt does not have), we will only see the full benefits in 10 years, and then the cycle repeats itself. Catch 22.

4. md2010

md2010 Senior member

No such thing as “Cheap house” in Sydney. Its only “Cheaper” if you anyone wants to travel 2 hours each way. Even then a rundown hose will cost you over $250k++ in those areas.

5. kayhill

kayhill Senior member

Paddington (East), Wollstonecraft (North), Annandale (West) and Surry HIlls (south) is the general 'ring' you want in on if you want to be within striking distance of the CBD.

Paddington transport = buses. Peaceful, good (trendy) retail, but a little bit expensive.
    Wollstonecraft transport = train station. Quiet suburban area; close to Crows Nest shopping area.
    Annandale transport = buses. Semi suburban. Aircraft noise, and Parramatta road is horrendous. Don't bother going out West unless you really want to.
    Surry Hills = walking distance. Not that quiet, but a really nice area nonetheless. Lots of bars and eateries.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  6. herringbonePete

herringbonePete Senior member

7. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Thankyou. Yeah there are. Anyone in here a UK10? I have some shoes for sale.

8. labravajazz

labravajazz Senior member

Well, I'm 10.5 uk so if any of yours are too big they may be ok for me....... Also my bro in law is 10 uk so let us know what uou got?!

9. lukejackson

lukejackson Senior member

Im usually a uk 9 so if they run small, let us know what they are.

10. smeggett

smeggett Senior member

Two interesting perspectives here... I tend to fall on the JM side of the equation, especially as if neg gearing was abolished for everything except new housing stock this would serve to keep a lid on property / housing costs which would (ironically in a way) keep a lid on housing prices.

Plestor, I presume you're comment is referring to the fact that individuals would likely set up a company to invest in residential property if negative gearing into property wasn't available as a tax loss? I can't comment on how much this phenomenon would manifest with a change in rules, but I would have thought it might end up in the too hard basket for enough people that there was a net reduction in losses which you and I pay for?

11. smeggett

smeggett Senior member

And coming in a few days late on the TV series stakes:

Breaking Bad
    Suits
    Sons of Anarchy
    Hustle

haven't seen Hustle mentioned (UK series about grifters to avoid confusion), but it is a little older. Storylines are quite well crafted though and it's interesting to watch the progression from a sartorial perspective across the 8 seasons of the show.

Can't really think of a 5th favourite off hand - did enjoy Skins and very early Shameless (before it became a soapie) and Peep Show was always hilarious in a cringing way...

1 person likes this.
  12. suttonzach

suttonzach Senior member

If you're planning to visit doublemonk I'd suggest wandering a little further down Smith St and grabbing a Pattie Smash burger from Rockwell & Son - the best 'dude food' in Melbourne imho.

13. suttonzach

suttonzach Senior member

FYI, Barbour jackets currently 1/2 off at DJs online.

14. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Journeyman is right. With my GG loafers, the collar in particular rubs against my upper heel/lower ankle. I don't think it's a last problem as the shoes actually do feel lovely and snug all round, but I definitely could have gone a half size up - however, this was the last pair in the store (American Tailors, and the shoes were discounted by 70% that day). To make matters worse, these shoes are just screaming to be worn without socks - which exacerbates the collar-rub problem. Leather against leather, don't you know.

I've also recently bought a pair of Pal Zileri brown suede tassel loafers - again, heavily discounted, last pair in the store - which are definitely a half-size too small.

Both pairs of shoes have stretched and become more comfortable with time and wear, and I think they'll be fine. Ironic that I tried both pairs on in-store, so I can't use the "online purchase" excuse.

I fixed the Santoni heel slippage by gluing a piece of padded suede to the inside of the heel counter. Works a treat.

It's all good.

15. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Back in Shanghai again. It's China National Day holiday here, and I celebrated by eating Turkish food with Australians while wearing Italian clothes.

[​IMG]

Visible at bottom are those slightly-too-small Pal Zileri loafers, which felt fine today. The rest of the outfit is basically Canali, some of it bought during their last sale. However, I paid full price for the jacket last week. Ouch.

1 person likes this.
  16. acinod

acinod Senior member

Need a black cap-toe oxford for an internship at the start of next year. I'm a size 7 in Loake. Should I order a pair of Loake 1880 Aldwych delivered from Herring or get a pair of AE Park Avenues from the US when I go there for Christmas?

17. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

thanks for the kind words Journeyman, the pleasure was all mine.

thanks for the recommendation, SuttonZach

18. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

It's clearly a subjective choice, but I always buy loafers a half-size down from my usual size. They're uncomfortable at first but as they stretch and soften a bit with wear, they fit really well.

I made the mistake of buying a pair of really nice tobacco suede loafers by Cheaney for Herringbone at a Herringbone warehouse sale a couple of years ago, when they were clearing out the last of the stock, in my usual size. They felt really good the first time I wore them, but the next time I wore them they flopped about all over the place as they were just too big, as there were no laces to tighten to hold them onto my feet. I've never worn them since! I really should get around to selling them, as they're in pristine condition.

19. wurger

wurger Senior member

They are very different looking shoes with similar qualities, which one do you like?

I got a comparison in the black cap toe oxford thread, link is in my signature.

20. wurger

wurger Senior member

jM, have you tried some full sock or tongue pad for the loafers?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.