1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g-banger

g-banger Senior member

Thanks for the feedback guys - okay definitely not wear and tear.

I was intoxicated and dancing gangham style, so definitely deserved it.

I might try one last crack at the tailor see if i can have it patched up, ill just make sure i wear as a dinner suit when its dark.

1 person likes this.
  2. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

He's not our worst dress pollie. He also sports an electric blue grenadine from drakes.

You probably realize this but you'd get better utility buying 2-3 shoes you really like from double monk and getting the size right rather than buy cheaper pairs online.

3. boff

boff Senior member

Have you tried AE's ? You could buy these shoes and find out if AE in an 8EEE is the right fit. Then having spent $100 on shitty second hand shoes you could go nuts online with new ones knowing they will fit.

4. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Haha, I actually think the Balmain/Rozelle area has the highest concentration of Aussie members. There are 5 members from this thread in those 2 suburbs.

5. jas0nt

jas0nt Senior member

How do you know the brand of his tie?

6. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I'm going to be in Melbourne next week, I might be pretty busy so not sure I can meet up, but does anybody have any recommendations for new resteraunts, or places I might not have been? or anything going on on labor day?

thanks

7. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I had the pleasure of meeting Zach (globetrotter) when he was in Brisbane on business a couple of years back and I can heartily recommend catching up with him if something can be arranged.

He's great company - very entertaining with a great selection of stories and experiences from around the world.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  8. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

If I told you, I'd have to...

My dad, though, has some stories.

You should one day come to Zetland to see the buses that drop off people at showrooms.

9. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Keep the updates coming iSurg!

Where did you stay in Rome?

10. md2010

md2010 Senior member

I have and for me AE 8EEE in any last is my safest option.

11. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Looks the same and educated guess.

12. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Agreed. I just thought it was interesting seeing him in the RMWs. I wonder if he wore them before his predecessor when on official business (back when he was a minister in the Howard PM days)? I never paid any attention back then.

13. couldnthaveknow

couldnthaveknow Senior member

Also negative gearing... There was a pretty good article recently, about how negative gearing inflates property values because investors are able to use it to offset their taxable income, whereas lower income earners may not... I can't find it, it had some American commentator saying "cant believe the tax system rewards failure to gear properly"

Definitely

1 person likes this.
  14. The Ernesto

Might be in Sydney in the next month or so, is Cremone Point a good place to stay? Need to be within striking distance of CBD but would prefer somewhere a little quiet.

1 person likes this.
  15. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Negative gearing is a vexed issue.

On the one hand, as you say, it rewards failure - people are getting a tax deduction for consistently making a loss, in the hope that although they're making an ongoing loss the property will increase in value so they will be able to sell it at a profit down the track.

On the other hand, it's not as though real estate is the only investment that can be negatively geared - as an example, you can also take advantage of negative gearing when investing in shares, if the interest repayments on money that you have borrowed to purchase the shares exceeds the income that you receive from dividend payments.

Therefore, some investors say that it's a bit unfair that negative gearing for real estate is often singled out for criticism although, given our national obsession with real estate, that's hardly surprising!

Personally, I don't think that allowing negative gearing for existing properties makes much sense, as it is subsidising an unproductive asset. It would be better to change it so that negative gearing is only allowed on newly-built dwellings, so as to encourage investment in new housing stock. Alternatively, of course, negative gearing could be removed altogether so that the value of the investment has to stand on its own two feet, so to speak, instead of being subsidised by the government (and, by extension, by taxpayers who don't have investment properties).

1 person likes this.
  16. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Definitely. Cremorne is gorgeous. You can't go wrong.
    JM strikes again! Couldn't have put it better. I agree with your idea of only allowing negative gear on new housing stock as opposed to fueling the returns of blatant speculation.

17. Superfudge

Superfudge Well-Known Member

Only really convenient if you will have a car. It's not on the rail line. If you're going to be staying on the north side, North Sydney/Crows Nest?St Leonards is more convenient.

18. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

You realize that all that negative gearing does is allow equitable treatment of losses between individuals and businesses. I'd rather not deal with (i.e. pay for) the number of small business tax returns if you removed it. JM why would you want to distort the market in favor of new development?

19. couldnthaveknow

couldnthaveknow Senior member

Mate Cremorne point is a nice area but not much by way of public transport... Recommend you have a look at potts point, rose bay, or even centennial park are all pretty quiet areas

good point, well put. The other thing I'd add is property is usually higher leveraged than shares too, so very prevalent for negative gearing. What you say about new properties is right - that's exactly what Sydney needs... bit more land release, build some new houses creates jobs, and alleviates some housing availability pressure...

The one thing I noticed about vancouver is - they build apartments very tall, say, 20 odd stories, whereas here we are all 3 story apartments... but, that means we need to invade some areas like lane cove park, to build... I always thought a bit more approval for taller apartments which can house more people wouldnt be a bad idea - especially for suburbs closer to the city where walking is really a viable option (pyrmont maybe, or chippendale, glebe, etc)

20. The Ernesto

Thanks gents. Practicality will have to win out because I will be car-less.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.