1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Ovlov, a couple of friends of mine have breast-pocket wallets and yes, that looks like the regular size. They are pretty large.

For my part, I prefer not to have a breast pocket wallet as I find that it can interrupt the line of my suit jacket, particularly in jackets made from finer/lighter cloth. Obviously, that's a matter of personal, subjective preference.

2. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

$80 for an Ettinger is very cheap. I'm not a huge fan of the colour, Ovlov, or the style, but that's personal preferance. I have an Ettinger Bridle Bifold wallet, I love it.

3. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

I already have a regular bi-fold wallet but I've been finding both that and my keys a massive pain in the arse when it comes to storing them somewhere on my person while in business attire (bifold is too thick and sticks out through suit pants pocket and likewise with loose keys). As a result I started looking into coat wallets and key cases. I assumed this was the norm. Is there any other option?

4. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Whenever I'm in my suit, I have no problem.
    Back pocket keeps my Bifold.
    Right front pocket keeps my Smokes, lighter and keys.
    Left Pocket Keeps my phone.

5. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Same.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  6. joiji

joiji Senior member

Card case and kull excess keys?

I'm not sure I'm that much of a fan of Ettinger, tbh. If memory serves their products are fabric lined and mostly glued, rather than stitched (although looking at Ovlov's picture, I may be wrong about the latter.). Have you looked into a smaller leather products producer? There are a million around and they should be able to deliver you a comparable product for substantially less, and will be saddle stitched rather than machine stitched.

7. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

Ok I'm just weird then. Never had problems with jeans of chinos but at work I have to keep my wallet in my desk and take it out when I drive its so uncomfortable.
    Key wise prob just have way too many. But can't be helped

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  8. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Sounds like you need to lose some cards.

9. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I go with either a small credit card wallet, or simply a slim wallet, and keep a minimum of cards in it. I don't allow receipts to build up in it, either. Basically, I have my Medicare and private health insurance cards, driver's license, and two bank cards plus notes and that's it.

In my key case, I have six keys, so it remains relatively slim.

My wallet goes in my right front pocket, key case in my left front pocket (along with building admission pass), and iPhone in my jacket pocket.

10. wurger

wurger Senior member

I have a slim money clip card wallet, and a cash wallet for food court lunch.

When I go out, next just take the money clip card wallet and add a few notes to it.

11. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

hah fair enough, fwiw, its actually a shade under 3.5, comes out to 8.4 and seems ideal to me. I don't mind slim ties but a bit jaded of late, MJB and R&B have stung me with their ties or their lack of descriptions on the site, nice looking tie, good price and this 6cm thing rocks up. Sufficed to say its a pleasant treat to see a good width.

12. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

what are these notes you speak of?

I rarely actually have cash on me anymore think group outings and the first Cpl of dates is the only time I carry notes now days and that's just purely because its more of a hassle a small % of the time in those situations if you don't have notes.

13. wurger

wurger Senior member

2 twenties and 1 fifty normally.

14. fxh

fxh Senior member

Not brushing up - just having a nap

1 person likes this.
  15. fxh

fxh Senior member

for wurger

Black captoes - funeral today.
    [​IMG]

Behind the scenes:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  16. coxaca

coxaca Senior member

All this talk of slim wallets has me flummoxed.

I deploy a fat bifold, stuffed with notes, receipts, too many bleedin' maxed-out credit cards, a keyless entry card for my Sydney apartment, a keyless entry card for my Shanghai apartment, two driver's licences (Aus and Chinese), other miscellaneous cards, SIM cards, a pic of my babe, business cards, public transport cards, Jesus H. Christ the list is endless.

The damn thing is so stuffed with crap sometimes it won't stay folded. It's so turgid it makes my John Thomas jealous.

Anyway I just cram it in my front left trouser pocket and sartorial lines be damned. You have to draw the line somewhere.

17. fxh

fxh Senior member

I'm still a bit old school.
    I don't feel comfortable with less than around $30 in cash.
    It used to be $100 so I have improved.
    But a trip to Japan pushed me backwards.

But truly in Melb these days you can get around with just one CC and Myki and survive well most days with no problem - even a coffee in most places.

If we took a few lessons from Japan you could get around with just Myki.

18. fxh

fxh Senior member

Its a bugger. I love need the efficiency and the convenience of just picking up one wallet with all needs in it and one key ring. But the wallet starts to swell with 2 X CC, 1 X Cash card, Medicare, PHI, Drivers ID, Library card, + Cash etc. As soon as I slim it by subtracting stuff I get caught out somewhere..

The car keys are the worst - bulky clunky remote thingo and huge car key - I've no idea what to do - so I shamefacedly admit to the old (relativity small and sophisticated) roadie clip on belt loop - can't think of any better way. If I have briefcase car keys go in that. If I don't have car I have just a small house key.

I don't have a solution.

Phone is ok in jacket pocket

19. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Interesting to think about Japanese practices.

On the one hand, you can pay for many things using either a Japanese mobile phone (as most of them have near-field chips in them) or a public transport card (plenty of stores now accept payment for all sorts of things using public transport cards in Japan).

On the other hand, cash is still king in Japan. Japanese people simply prefer to use cash instead of other methods of payment. Most Japanese feel odd if they don't have the equivalent of at least $100, if not $200, in their wallets or purses and, in general, it's very safe to carry cash around. Muggings are virtually non-existent, although I have heard of the occasional pickpocketing incident in really crowded areas, usually where people go to party (as I suppose that they are less attentive when intoxicated!).

20. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

I Spent a few years in Japan and never had the need for a credit or debit card at any time. I guess I could have used a Suica but what was the point? I quickly got used to stopping at an atm on the way home from work each pay day and casually withdrawing $2-3k in cash with which to pay rent, bills, shopping etc. I once left my wallet on the train with $600 in it. It was returned to my office within 2 hours without a single yen missing and the good samaritan ran off without even waiting for a reward. Nice Country ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.