1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

I worked at Ford Cambellfield as a contractor in 'Virtual Engineering' during 2008. I was involved in aerodynamics and heat transfer simulations using computational fluid dynamics. That was an interesting work experience, especially compared to my previous experiences in the defense/aerospace/motorsport industries.

2. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

Maybe you lot would like to run off and create another thread or visit a car forum and continue this discussion eh?

3. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

I bet, but the company is run by accountants, not engineers. The only Aussie Ford that would rate a mention is the GTO, but even that's overrated and fawned over just because it's local product. It's certainly not a "great" car - it was fast, that's about it.

The Pinto, the Anglia, the Prefect (aka the Defect), the Landau... these are the junkers that are more representative of the output of the over-protected Australian and US auto industries of the mid C20th.

4. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

The problem is that car forums are full of car-obsessed idiots! [​IMG]

5. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Maybe you lot would like to run off and create another thread or visit a car forum and continue this discussion eh?
    Sorry, I can be a bit of a car bore (no pun intended), but I'll say no more on the subject [​IMG]

6. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

I'm not getting involved in this discussion or it will continue another 8 pages

7. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

Just read a preview of The Birth of Cleo and I am really looking forward to seeing it.

I was just a kid starting school around that time, but I have really strong memories of that early '70s period and how rapidly things changed in AUstralia from then through the next couple of decades.

Should be an great opportunity to wallow shamelessly in nostalgia. Also, I think Asher Keddie is pretty impressive in most things she has done.

8. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Yes, I'm a sucker for nostalgia, too. I must be getting old.

9. 3ff3z8e

3ff3z8e Well-Known Member

Was at Hunt Leather in the MLC Centre Sydney today to check some il-Bisonte products, when an asian dude with a Charcoal suit Dark Bluish Grenadine Tie, White Pocket Square in a TV Fold and Black Brogues, came in to browse....

Not sure if it was any one from Styleforum....

Incidentally Herringbone is having a pop-up store sale at 1, Martin Place, Le Meridien - Ballroom 4.

http://www.herringbone.com/edm/110409/index.html

Starts tomorrow and ends friday evening.

Heading there around lunchtime.. Hopefully some good stuff will show up.....

10. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

I worked at Ford Cambellfield as a contractor in 'Virtual Engineering' during 2008. I was involved in aerodynamics and heat transfer simulations using computational fluid dynamics. That was an interesting work experience, especially compared to my previous experiences in the defense/aerospace/motorsport industries.

Ha one of the first jobs I had when I left school was with British Leyland in the plant at Rosebery in Sydney I lasted a month on the line working on the P76, in the end I just got up and walked out one morning. Ok enough car trivia.

11. blahman

blahman Senior member

Quick! After dinner date ideas for Melbourne tomorrow night!

12. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

Nice quiet cocktail bar. Unfortunately Tuesday doesn't give you many options. Where is dinner and I'll try and think of something close by.

13. blahman

blahman Senior member

14. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

Lily Blacks has been a favourite quiet little bar of mine recently ... on Myers Place at the top end of town. Kenny behind the bar, although only in the business for a couple of years, loves cocktails and knows how to mix a decent drink.

Emerald Peacock has long been a favourite of mine, though all the staff I knew have gone. That's on Lonsdale St.

Any more details on the vibe your looking for? I'm a big fan of bars and can list dozens of them otherwise.

15. ryanohare

ryanohare Senior member

Lily Blacks has been a favourite quiet little bar of mine recently ... on Myers Place at the top end of town. Kenny behind the bar, although only in the business for a couple of years, loves cocktails and knows how to mix a decent drink.

Emerald Peacock has long been a favourite of mine, though all the staff I knew have gone. That's on Lonsdale St.

Any more details on the vibe your looking for? I'm a big fan of bars and can list dozens of them otherwise.

Siglo
    Gin Palace
    Misty
    Baroq
    Sister Bella
    Murmur

There are thousands, Tuesday night's gonna be quiet though wherever you go...

16. blahman

blahman Senior member

What's a cosy little bar with some nice music that stays in the background.
    Also what other activities are there to partake in that one can just turn up to? Something a little different.

Went to comedy already and that was fail.

17. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

I
    That's what you get with just about any 50 year old machine... or person for that matter.

Oi! I resemble that remark!

18. fxh

fxh Senior member

A quick VHA (hire car) car ride home, packet of condoms, a joint, bottle of bubbly, then some Swiss chocolate and good coffee for afters.

19. blahman

blahman Senior member

Coffee at night? I got work the next day!

Wait wtf... I should just do what my avatar does.

20. fxh

fxh Senior member

Coffee at night? I got work the next day! Wait wtf... I should just do what my avatar does.
    Wuss. Can't you go to work on no sleep? HTFU

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.