1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boff

boff Senior member

Digging up an old post - I'm a Bisonte fan :) Hunt Leather in Balmain has them.

1 person likes this.
  2. Nolvadex

Nolvadex Senior member

Say you've had them for years. She didnt see them because were camouflaged

1 person likes this.
  3. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

I'm having more than a little difficulty processing the logic of your argument here.

It could just be me, or the fact that there isn't any presented.

2 people like this.
  4. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

Has anyone had any experience with local shoemakers?

A friend of mine from Melbourne recently started boasting about commissioning - amongst other things - a pair of boots from his "local cordwainer". I must say they look very nice leather, wing tip two tone (black/burgundy). They cost him about $900 apparently and made on his own last. It never occurred to me to look into bespoke shoemaking from someone other than C&J/EG/JL/etc. This seems insanely cheap for what he got. Anyone here had experience with local shoemakers and what if any pitfalls there are to commissioning something like this?

5. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Ovlov, there are a few cordwainers around, a chap in Sydney by the name of Andrew MacDonald being probably the best known of them at present. There's also a made-to-order shoe business run out of "Beggar Man Thief" in Melbourne, although I'm not sure how far they go in terms of making a last to fit your foot and so on.

MacDonald (well, I think that's his name) in Sydney appears to be technically proficient but most of the examples of his work that I have seen fall very much into the fashion/streetwear category of footwear - weathered leather boots with straps and buckles and very bowed soles, for example.

Probably the most knowledgeable person in regard to Melbourne cordwainers is a former Styleforum member with the username "The Shooman".

He was banned from SF some years ago and he now posts over on the "Film Noir Buff" forum (or FNB forum), still with the Shooman username.

Shooman has gone to considerable effort to track down old cordwainers in Melbourne and had a last made for himself, before commissioning a couple of pairs of bespoke shoes from some of the old shoemakers.

If you have a look at his threads on the FNB forum documenting his experiences with Melbourne shoemakers, there are some interesting photographs and information.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  6. patbuyonlin

patbuyonlin New Member

It is cheaper than most white pointy shoes from Aquila. Herringbone also stock rebadged Cheaney shoes.
    [​IMG]

7. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Herringbone used to stock rebadged Cheaney shoes, but they stopped doing so four or five years ago, and started selling Crockett & Jones shoes.

8. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

There's a guy in Melbourne who trades as Wootton, in Prahran. Have never visited but was reading a write-up in Monocle not five minutes ago. The examples on the website aren't quite to my taste colour wise, and some are a bit 'distressed', but they are Blake-stitched and the quality looks okay as long as decent leathers are available.

9. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Shanghai Tianzi Shoes. You'll get bespoke/MTM shoes for a heckuva lot less than McDonald and his like charge and it'll look a darn sight better too. None of those upturned pixy shoes there (unless you particularly want one of those monstrosities).

10. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Unless you have foot problems I don't think there's great value in a bespoke shoe.

11. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

I'd agree. But I do have pretty badly mismatched feet and at sub $1k that's not much more than I?'d be looking at for RTW C&J or Carminas.

12. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

It's about 50% more...

13. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

Aren't C&J Handgrade and Carminas about $700?

I don't have that much experience with shoe pricing being in Adelaide and buying everything on sale anyhow. I haven;t been yet but I was under the impression that pretty much everything stocked by Double Monk besides CJ bench was starting around the 800-900 mark.

Anyhow I'm just considering options atm. Getting married in a few months and trying to work out what a can justify squeezing out of the wedding budget.
    Speaking of which what do you guys think? Suit from Suit Shop and Shoes from DM? or get pimping with PJohnson and wear the shoes I already have?

14. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

What shoes do you already have?

15. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Get married on a beach...go barefoot and splurge on a suit...and ensure you invite fxh (with a no shoes, no socks dress code)...sorry could not resist.

Depending on what shoes you have already a suit from Suit Shop and some good shoes (maybe from DM) would be a good way to go. Bad shoes ruin even the best suits, great shoes elevate a whole outfit.

1 person likes this.
  16. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

Well I already have a pair of black Edward Green Chelseas. I just want an excuse for more shoes... I only have them and a pair of Allen Edmonds black bluchers which seems to be the bare minimum of footwear. So I guess it comes down to whether PJ is worth the extra splurge to forgo a nice pair of new shoes.

17. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Ovlov, Carmina cost about $500 from overseas places like Skoaktiebolaget. The difficulty, of course, is getting your sizing right.

C&J handgrade typically cost about $700 if you order them from somewhere like Pediwear, although you can sometimes find them more cheaply. I remember that someone did post about Double Monk's prices a while back but I can't remember what they were.

Didn't you pick up a pair of Edward Greens on sale for a fantastic price a while back? What style were they? If they are comfortable and if you can wear them for your wedding, I think that you should do so as you're not really going to get better shoes, at least not for under $1000 (well, not unless you order Vass, which introduces a whole new lot of sizing issues to consider).

I know that weddings are often a time to spend lots of money but (at the risk of putting a sizeable damper on things), I'd recommend wearing your EGs and your existing Suit Shop suit and putting the money saved towards a great honeymoon or, alternatively, putting it towards a mortgage.

18. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Nonsense. If you have the money, then I say go for it. Bespoke suits, shirts, shoes. Why not?

19. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Based on this, if it was a choice between:
    1. SuitShop suit and new shoes from Double Monk
    2. PJ suit and existing shoes

I would choose option 2. The EG Chelseas are more than up to the job.

Alternatively, use your existing suit (if appropriate) with the EG Chelseas as Journeyman states.

20. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

My wife is a great bargain hunter. She managed to secure some tickets to Paris via HK at 2/3rd the cost of what we paid previously.

We have two weeks in Paris in January. Mulling a sidetrip of 1 to 3 days via TGV- and I am spoilt for choices. Please help me:

Geneva- only 3.5 hours away. Apart from sightseeing, dont really have any other attractions of interest to us (opera and museums not interested).
    Milan- about 6.5 hours away. Wife will love this. But worried about safety.
    Barcelona- about 7 hours away. Heard lots of stories, but have not done research yet.
    London- 4 hours away? But unlikely to go due to family politics.

Cost of accommodation will also be of importance, since we will be paying double rent (Paris apartment secured for 2 weeks at discount).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.