1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrewjamesdean

andrewjamesdean Senior member

For those that own a pair of the Nike Flyknit Lunars, and tips on how to size them? It's been a while since I've had a pair of Nikes, but I'm a size 9 in Purcells and a 10 in Vans. Any ideas?

2. Cubits

Cubits Well-Known Member

Aren't moulded running shoes incredibly dependent on your personal fit requirements?

Not that i'm a fountain of information on the subject, the only dedicated running shoes i own are trail gloves, and the vast majority of the running i've done in the last decade has been in volleys.

3. sliq

sliq Senior member

looks good. I'd bring down the right sleeve by 1.5cm to balance it out with the left.

1 person likes this.
  4. Stebbin

Stebbin Senior member

Haha, not the UNSW Law Ball. The USYD one is on next Friday.

It's a half-canvassed MTM from a Thai tailor called Max Custom Tailors. I never ordered from them before, they had no reviews and they appeared relatively unknown. I gave them a try because they had a nice midnight blue mohair fabric on their site and it only costed $325 or so shipped which was cheaper than many of the alternatives (despite the known risks of online MTM). I had a set of measurements handy and asked them to lower the button stance and widen the lapels. I was surprised they actually managed to get it done within a week's time and it doesn't look too bad for the price. I realise they gave me a midnight satin facings rather than the black grosgrain that I asked for and the shoulders stick out a little on the side. But ah well, can't complain too much given the price and the fast turnaround.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  5. fxh

fxh Senior member

Of course there are many women girls who like boys instead of men.

6. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Some women cougars like toy boys...

7. fxh

fxh Senior member

So PoP, old buddy, whats been happening around here the last week?

I notice some of my summer shirts seem to have shrunk , particularly around the belly, while sitting in the cupboard all winter. You had that problem?

8. sliq

sliq Senior member

i just had a look at the shoulders of the suit again. looks like there are divots which can be costly to fix. don't be afraid to try suitsupply. they're my unofficial go to OTR suiting company. excellent service with free returns.

9. Prince of Paisley

I've had the opposite problem I'm afraid... had to have a belt shortened a couple of weeks ago...

As for what's been happening, some talk about grenadines and knit ties, Oli is still looking for chinos and still no sign of blahman. You haven't really missed much.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  10. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

Op-shop suit fairy strikes again! My local op-shop delivered a light grey chalkstripe flannel suit. The jacket is unlined with canvas construction and very soft shoulders. Trousers are flat front and will only require small alterations. $40...giddy up.

It's a Boss suit but its one of the best I've ever tried on.

1 person likes this.
  11. fxh

fxh Senior member

PG - I've just tossed out the other week - an old Boss suit - from years ago .
    No vent and cuffed. Its that old - when cuffs weren't cutting edge #menswear.
    I've only held onto it for old times sake.
    It is still nice enough to look at - herringbone/ self striped light navy / french blue - but low button stance and over padded shoulders and double pleated wide trousers.

I used to enjoy wearing it though. Back then.

12. fxh

fxh Senior member

MMhh - and what conclusions did they all come to on the tie business?

Oli - is starting to worry me - I fear with Julie " The Only Lib Woman With Any Skills in Australia" Bishop in cabinet, and Sophie spanked, he might have gone off the rails.

blahman is missed - although Foxy makes a, somewhat inferior I'll admit, close substitute.

I wonder if you could do a weekly summary of the thread and email it to me - would save me a lot of time - ta muchly.

Did anyone pick up on the Australian colours palette thingo?

2 people like this.
  13. coxaca

coxaca Senior member

Here, as promised, are some shots of my new Tom Ford suit.

Fabric is wool 42%/linen 38%/silk 20%. It looks darker IRL with a slight sheen to it; the windowpane is subtle.

The trousers have side adjusters and no belt loops.

I will probably have the trousers taken in 2cm at the waist and I will also have the jacket sleeves taken up about 1cm - this is as far as I can go without bringing the sleeve buttons (which are functional) too close to the hem of the sleeve.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I might just get married in this suit.

Edit: seems I need to clean my camera lens. Some weird green shit going on in the midfield there.

2 people like this.
  14. Prince of Paisley

Knit ties are ok for funerals; grenadines are so named because they resemble grenades and are wont to spontaneosly explode killing the wearer.

Oli has always worried me, but I think in the end our fears will prove unfounded.

Foxy is my favourite poster. It's heartening to see a young chap who likes floral shirts. Takes me back to my youth when I used to dress like Dave Faulkner. Now we are both bald...

Weekly updates and abridged "best ofs" are the preserve of clothing fora addicts.

No. Though I wonder if this is why Australian style more closely mimmicks the Italian palette these days rather than the English? The light can be quite similar over there. Certainly I think there is something to the argument that pastel shades are more pleasing to the eye under our harsh light compared to northern Europe, where the dullness makes pastels largely indistinguishable from each other. And white shirts tend to look good only with light coloured jackets, lest the sunshine, unencumbered by ozone, causes you to look like a Khmer shadow puppet.

15. Prince of Paisley

Looks good. Though I got the impression you were the kind of guy who's ex-wife hasn't been born yet.

3 people like this.
  16. Stebbin

Stebbin Senior member

Very nice.

17. iSurg

iSurg Senior member

Do you think the lapels bow out a bit?
    Strong TF shoulders.

18. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Shoulders too pointy, checks too checky. Nice fabric though.

19. coxaca

coxaca Senior member

The lapels don't bow out on this suit, although they do on some of my other suits - I have a bit of a barrel chest.

Perhaps the visual impression of bowing comes from the splaying of the check lines as they move up the lapels.

You're welcome to your opinion. The shoulders are typical Tom Ford as iSurg said. Clearly they don't care to follow the current Neapolitan trend towards softer, more sloping shoulders. To me the shoulder tailoring on this suit bespeaks a kind of quiet power.

The checks are quite subtle IRL. In fact I didn't notice them when I first saw the suit in the store.

20. Prince of Paisley

You must be going deaf in your old age.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.