1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

I'm really not keen on buying online - my experience is getting things, finding they're not quite right and having to pay out to send them back overseas.

As for levis vintage, I've never had the $$$

Pants are always difficult for me to buy. I spent years lifting weights and am essentially built like a prop (not a good thing).

'Slim fit' on me looks worse than a 30 year old in skinny jeans. On the other hand, I've found a lot of the 'regular fit' at target, country road etc to fit like a bag.

In the past I would wear 503s strictly. These days 501s and 505s really hit the spot as the middle ground. I'm yet to find that in a pair of chinos.

I've owned about 3 pairs of chinos now. Current brand is target. Rise is a good height, too baggy in the legs though.

2. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Thought about luxire?

3. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Not really, I spent over 4 months waiting to get a shirt from Cottonwork.

4. sirsammyd

sirsammyd Member

Can't believe I haven't seen that before. Thanks heaps for that. As a newcomer it pretty much summed up all the info buried in this thread!

5. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

6. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Jason, that rep looks so nice!

7. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

The below link has two pics from user Stebbin here (two pages back in this thread) of his latest purchase from Amy/C&G:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/88856/australian-members/37860#post_6601296

And here's a pic of me in a Thomas Fisher blue birdseye wool suit from Amy (the former a not so great smartphone pic):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Are they second hand? Or did Street point you in the direction of Herring?

9. Chich

Chich Well-Known Member

I've actually heard of Suit Shop quite a few times (mainly around here), however was slightly put off by their website (or rather lack of one) and the assumption that if its a local tailor its going to cost 3 times more than my current one. Seems as though everyone talks highly of them, I'll have to give them a yell as well and see what they have. Thanks guys ;)

Thanks man, appreciate you taking the time to track those down for me. Unfortunately the firewall behind my current PC blocks all SF pics for some reason, so I'll have to have a look at them when I get home tonight. If I can be even more annoying, any chance one of those pics includes a shot from inside the jacket (ie. lining)? I find that I'm a bit pedantic for the finer details...

Cheers guys

10. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Sure, I'll PM you a couple pics.

Done.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  11. iSurg

iSurg Senior member

Chich, I know there are a lot of pages to go through, but try to read the earlier posts in this thread. Lots of good photos and suggestions. Just a thought. Welcome to the thread. Also to sirsammyd.

Unfortunately, if you're here to discuss RMW or chinos, that position has been filled and you may need to move elsewhere ;p

1 person likes this.
  12. Chich

Chich Well-Known Member

Yeah it would probably be a really good idea and worth the read...but going through almost 38,000 posts, I'm pretty sure someone will eventually notice that at work :p
    ...something I'll have to find time for at home ;)

Cheers guys

13. iSurg

iSurg Senior member

The other thing is tumblr. Quite a few members have some cool accounts to follow.

I was once told by a friend (pure physicist) that tumblr and instagram are mainly for 13 yo girls. I promptly corrected him and said, "That's pintrest, FYI."

14. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

lol. As a pure physicist he might interested to know that tumblr is a place where nothing happens.

1 person likes this.
  15. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

I've always liked the adjective 'pure' in front of a scientific discipline. It makes me wonder what 'impure mathematics' etc might entail.

Doing equations to make your calculator spell 8008135?

16. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

LOL, reminds me of terms such as "legal action", "proper channels" and "appropriate measures".

17. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I like the idea of studying dirty maths - it would have to be more interesting than differential calculus!

18. Romp

Romp Senior member

19. sirsammyd

sirsammyd Member

Thanks, you'll be glad to hear that I won't be offering any knowledge at all on RMW. Probably won't have much to offer but I am here to learn a bit. I've only just taken an interest in the aesthetics of one's attire fairly recently. Previously I've stuck to the safety of jeans, tee shirts and sneakers (nice sneakers though!!).

This kind of brings up my reaction to HerringbonePete's disappointment at no one commenting on his new shoes. Since only recently started to dress with some pride in my appearance I think I can say that it is just that. It is pride. It is more than just a pair of shoes that 'look' nice and that people will comment on. It is the self confidence that comes with knowing that on your feet are a really beautifully crafted pair of shoes. Shoes which you took time to choose to compliment the pants/ suit/ socks/ tie or even hair!! or what ever else you may have decided to wear. It sounds corny but it's like that womens make up add "because you're worth it". You can tell that some one is wearing nice shoes not just by the shoes they have but the way they carry themselves and you can't expect to get compliments from people on how wonderfully confident you look today.

20. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

Differential Calculus is not "pure" math. :/ I suppose you can make an argument for certain generalizations however.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.