• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Checked out the new Zara in Canberra today. Not too bad you know. Not too much I'd wear (too skinny and short) but there are a few things there. They'll hurt country road here a lot.

Picks were a really great double breasted charcoal overcoat at $299, nicely cut cardigans at $59.95 (unfortunately poly/viscose though) and some merino knitwear at 80 bucks. Found the perfect pair of lighter washed denim, but as is often the case they would have been sprayed on my cyclists legs. I'll prob go back and pick up a few bits and pieces and if something like this was around while I was in my early 20's then I would have bought a lot more.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Until some idiot left it on top of the car and drove off I was happy with my old Konic Minolta dimage camera - it was simple and thin enough and had a small belt pouch so that it was unobtrusive and could be easily taken anywhere without problems.

It also had a fixed lense rather than a wind out one so that I didn't have to wait while the camera whirred and poked its nose out to take a pic. Not poking its nose out and making a noise was great for taking stealth pics.

Is there anything similar around now?

I'm looking to get a cheap and cheerful small camera to take away. Small and with a small belt pouch is a big plus for me. Ability to turn off auto focus and a decent optical zoom is handy.

Any suggestions?

Left to my own devices (small word play) I'll probably walk into JB HIFI and get a OLYMPUS TG-320 14MP DIGITAL CAMERA - for $147 -- for its no poking out nose feature or a Fuji film Finepix XP30 Digital Camera for $120 at Office works or just a JB OLYMPUS VG-160 14MP DIGITAL STILL CAMERA - for $84 and snaffle a cheap belt pouch from somewhere.

Last edited:

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Until some idiot left it on top of the car and drove off I was happy with my old Konic Minolta dimage camera - it was simple and thin enough and had a small belt pouch so that it was unobtrusive and could be easily taken anywhere without problems.

It also had a fixed lense rather than a wind out one so that I didn't have to wait while the camera whirred and poked its nose out to take a pic. Not poking its nose out and making a noise was great for taking stealth pics.

Is there anything similar around now?

I'm looking to get a cheap and cheerful small camera to take away. Small and with a small belt pouch is a big plus for me. Ability to turn off auto focus and a decent optical zoom is handy.

Any suggestions?

Left to my own devices (small word play) I'll probably walk into JB HIFI and get a OLYMPUS TG-320 14MP DIGITAL CAMERA - for $147 -- for its no poking out nose feature or a Fuji film Finepix XP30 Digital Camera for $120 at Office works or just a JB OLYMPUS VG-160 14MP DIGITAL STILL CAMERA - for $84 and snaffle a cheap belt pouch from somewhere.

Fxh have you looked into the helmet cams in the bike shops? Light, robust, portable. The Sony one I saw was pricey, but takes very good photo and video.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tailfeather or Temono might have something.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Checked out the new Zara in Canberra today. Not too bad you know. Not too much I'd wear (too skinny and short) but there are a few things there. They'll hurt country road here a lot.

Picks were a really great double breasted charcoal overcoat at $299, nicely cut cardigans at $59.95 (unfortunately poly/viscose though) and some merino knitwear at 80 bucks. Found the perfect pair of lighter washed denim, but as is often the case they would have been sprayed on my cyclists legs. I'll prob go back and pick up a few bits and pieces and if something like this was around while I was in my early 20's then I would have bought a lot more.

No harm in CR getting a good, sound wake up call. Like many other retailers here, I think they need it. It's sad, but I'm no longer excited at the thought of walking into most brick and mortar stores in Sydney. Now, if Double Monk opened a store here, that'd be a different matter.

In other news, I think I'm going to commission a linen BD with Luxius, that mob in Neutral Bay. Saw a really nice, understated fabric from Japan (white stripes on a pale blue ground) that would go perfectly with my navy casual suit.

Will let you all know how it goes.

BTW, tried the sky blue summer chambray from Luxire (the mob in India) and I'm sorry to say It didn't do anything for me. Fabric feels dry and insubstantial; wrinkles a lot as well. Not sure if it's 1 or 2 ply (I suspect the former). Of course, at the low price point, one can't complain too much. Will think twice before pulling the trigger again, however.

Last edited:

g-banger

Reaction score

In other news, I think I'm going to commission a linen BD with Luxius, that mob in Neutral Bay. Saw a really nice, understated fabric from Japan (white stripes on a pale blue ground) that would go perfectly with my navy casual suit.

Good luck, very keen to hear how it all works out for you.

BTW - speaking of neutral bay, i was there for dinner last night. I haven't eaten there for a while, got to say pretty bloody impressed with all the food options there now!
i went to Ribs & Burgers last night, got the pork ribs. Very tasty :nodding:

Last edited:

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BTW, tried the sky blue summer chambray from Luxire (the mob in India) and I'm sorry to say It didn't do anything for me. Fabric feels dry and insubstantial; wrinkles a lot as well. Not sure if it's 1 or 2 ply (I suspect the former).

putting aside the cheap fabric were the cut and fit spot on?

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

putting aside the cheap fabric were the cut and fit spot on?

Almost there.

Sent in a bespoke shirt to be replicated, but the new shirt seems a tad tighter, especially in the collar.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And you thought those search terms would bring up what exactly?

http://www.melbourneleathermen.com/gallery.htm

A SF meetup, brownman, gerry, appolyon, checky etc - pick the blahman.

A leather store? I suppose it was too much to ask in such a liberal city..

Looks like you investigated a bit more thoroughly than I dared, however.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads