1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Didn't everyone in the 80s wear brown? The whole mission brown thing?

It just isn't a popular colour at the moment, in my opinion anyway.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  2. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Get a brown suit. As someone who knows being brown well, I recommend as much brown as possible.

1 person likes this.
  3. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Never a frown
    With golden brown

2 people like this.
  4. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Very good - but I'm now going to have that going around around in my head for the rest of the day!

2 people like this.
  5. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I heart brown...

1 person likes this.
  6. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Have you tried Uniqlo Vintage Chino Flat Front Pants? Theyr'e more for casual/casual Fridays, but if that's what you're after, I can recommend them. I have two pairs.

7. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Thank you for the feedback chaps, that gives me some great ideas to take in.

Thanks for the pictures Matt. Brown odd trousers would be fine at my workplace, as long as they are not too casual. I am hoping to get a suit that can be broken into separates (because I am cheap smart like that).

Thanks JM. Suit does not need to be too conservative...just think very rumpled linen or too light brown would attract too much attention. Good point on the pink shirts. Actual am thinking of a pale pink lining - Christian Kimber has a brown overcoat with pink lining and it works very well.

Appreciate all opinions MS. Good to know what others think. My wife likes the idea of a brown suit and if I am forking out PJ money it is good to keep her onside.

Actually the reason I am looking into to a brown suit. Can you send me a shot of your skin, forearm maybe, that I can take it to compare with fabric swatches. Then a nice pair of brown shoes, maybe Henry Carter can make some brown smart gloves and I am sure Thom Browne or someone will do a brown balaclava. #toofar?

Noted. Thanks chaps.

Just realised this is my desktop at work -

http://tredicielupo.tumblr.com/post/25180580875/twilight
    [​IMG]

Tredic e Lupo and Rose and Born have quite a few nice brown suits
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plus a couple from the LFSTFW Archive

1 person likes this.
  8. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Darkish brown suit with cream coloured shirt, and a matching silk tie. Works subliminally, especially on chocolate hungry female minds.

9. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

I'm clearly outspoken on this issue. Brown can look incredibly good. I just think the margin of error for brown is significantly larger than it is for charcoal, black, grey and navy which is why you don't see it as much. Given that it isn't seen as much, it sticks out a lot more. If you stick out for all the right reasons, you'll be winning.

Given that you have female backing on this, and that it is going to come from a really experienced fitter that is pretty much guaranteed to make it work, I'm an advocate.

10. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Thanks MS.

Below is an interesting point I had not considered...

1 person likes this.
  11. Superfudge

Superfudge Well-Known Member

My last suit from Patrick was a chocolate/terracotta linen/cotton blend. Goes great with a light blue shirt, forest green grenadine tie and a pair of brown double monks. I'm probably the only guy in an office of 500 that wears such a suit though; and generally only on Fridays.

3 people like this.
  12. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

13. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

We all aspire to something. The best indication is a man's desktop background..

1 person likes this.
  14. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

I happened upon a higher quality brown hugo boss suit some years ago, I was sceptical at first but it worked pretty well in terms of being flexible and was often well received so I tend to think brown is a bit of a surprise dark horse for most.

I would still have it but one ill fated day an extra sharp mid aisle product display and a pushy asshole resulted in a nice big rip along the sleeve shoulder =\

1 person likes this.
  15. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Thanks for the tips guys, but I really want to buy them from a bricks and mortar shop. Sick of mucking around with online purchases.

Interesting. Mine's an Audi A4.

16. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

PS this example looks a lot like the brown suit I had done at PJs. It has the patch pockets on the jacket, which dresses it down a tad and lets you wear it as a separate. Mine is a very dark brown Loro Piana Zeelander fabric. I think you saw it at the HC trunk show.

17. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Mine will be for sale soon. :)

1 person likes this.
  18. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Oli's aspirations may soon be realised!

1 person likes this.
  19. suttonzach

suttonzach Senior member

Oil - the current season of RL has custom fit blue label chinos which fit nicely.

Also, you can occasionally score a pair of Gant Rugger brand chinos from the Gant stores which also have a nice modern fit without being overly trendy/slim.

1 person likes this.
  20. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Actually think the Gant rugger chinos would do you nicely, I tried them on before and they had a decent raise and slim, but flattering, leg (maybe be too skinny for your taste).

http://www.themensshop.com.au/gant-rugger-dreamy-oxford-tattersall-chino/

http://www.eastdane.com/winter-chino-gant-rugger/vp/v=1/1561892091.htm?folderID=21287&colorId=58909

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.