1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blahman

blahman Senior member

"For the Beggar Men there’s an abundance of cut down prices on Grenson, Clae, Sebago, Generic Surplus, Feiyue, Macbeth, Vanishing Elephant and Pointer. No men’s shoes will be over $100" !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone there today already?

2. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Just went - was all SW&D, no 'classic' shoes, just sneakers and the occasional chukka.

3. meister

meister Senior member

Remember my post last time when I told of thrifting my first ever pair of shell cordovan shoes (Aldens)?

Blow me down if I am in one of the daggiest thrifts/op shops I know where every time I go there I get a gem.

First it was a three piece Italian near new PofW suit.

Next time it is a Corneliani jacket and matching pants for a mate - ex Cutlers of Sydney.

Today I scored pair of Brooks Bros boat shoes in...wait for it...shell cordovan. A nice two tone tobacco shell (can't remember the Horween number)and a Vibram sole to boot - so no real sole wear either.

Almost indestructible combination for boat shoes. Shell would be good for waterproofing but has anyone ever seen or bought shell boat shoes?

4. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

I had thought that Cutler had a very good international reputation - in fact, he's probably better known on the Row than he is in his homeland.

Oh, I know. He's very well renowned worldwide, though I think he's better known here at home than you might think. Nevertheless, his reputation wasn't my point.

That said, I think you have a point in that he might find it hard to break into the Row's customer base.

Yes, that was my point.

5. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Thanks apropos, much appreciated. Yes I realise that 1cm out implies a +/- 1cm (2cm maximum variation) tolerance, hence my concern. I could possibly live with a true 1cm tolerance.

So do you mean par for the offshore MTM course is a 1cm tolerance, or the apparent 2cm I am seeing? I assume this wouldn't apply to places like Patrick Johnson from what I've read, so is it just a price range issue?

I'm sure that's not the case with P Johnson, especially while Ethan is working there, but just keep in mind, they are offshore MTM as well.

6. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Melbourne gents, I just want to put a plug out there for Up There Born 2010 on McKillop St - probably more suitable for the younger guys here as they pretty much stock only SW&D style clothing. Plenty of stuff that you can't find anywhere else to my knowledge in Melbourne.

Anyhow, the guys who run it, Brendan and James, are genuinely great guys and also helped me out in major way with the wrongly sized Clarks desert boots my brother got for me the other week. I am looking at picking up some navy PF Flyers on my next trip down.

If any of you guys are near that side of town on your lunch break, I would strongly suggest that you pop in, have a browse and a bit of a chat.

I second this, they're super nice guys and the shop has a lot of very cool stuff (albeit, as usual, expensive).

I also want to give McCloud's a shout out. I went in there today and had a chat with the younger guy (Paul) who works there. He sold me a locally-made horsehair brush and some French shoe wax (each $10). Then emailed them later about getting some Loakes (that I bought on Pediwear) stretched, and got an immediate response saying they would do it FREE.

The reality is I'm unlikely to ever buy shoes there, but for service like that I'm very happy to buy accessories there even at a premium. Fantastic.

7. stateless

stateless Well-Known Member

Sweet baby jeebus.

I'm not there now, but I will be first thing Sat morning.

This is why I love this thread - awesome, timely and relevant info on great local happenings. GO TEAM!

Also, I can highly recommend Up There. Some of their stuff is a bit too fashion forward for me, but I appreciate their effort to source great items from quality labels.

Keep an eye out for their sales too, I grabbed about $1200 worth of gear for about $700 last time they had one.

8. blahman

blahman Senior member

Just went - was all SW&D, no 'classic' shoes, just sneakers and the occasional chukka.

Thanks for saving me a trip across the river then. Was hoping to grab a pair of black calf Grensons for work. Seriously need a pair of decent black beater work shoes to replace my current pair of trash and for <$200.

9. lennier

lennier Senior member

I'm sure that's not the case with P Johnson, especially while Ethan is working there, but just keep in mind, they are offshore MTM as well.
    Yep. I've got no problem with the concept of offshore MTM, it can clearly be done well or not. PJ by all accounts is the former. I've made an appointment so we shall see!

10. lennier

lennier Senior member

I don't feel so bad about being around the corner from it all day and not knowing now :) Any casual boots other than chukkas did you notice?

11. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Not sure to be honest, I don't specifically remember any (if that helps, which probalay doesn't)

12. RemyMichel

RemyMichel Senior member

They do lots of stuff there for the brands as PG says. They also do stuff for small menswear shops that have their own brands.

They have a lot of stuff at their factory /showroom and theres nothing particularly wrong with it.

They make stuff upstairs and offer all alterations free if you buy one of their OTR. That could be worth $200 on a new suit and some satisfaction that they know what they are doing with their own suits.

They also do tailor made - I think for around $1,000 - IIRC - I'd say its between MTM and bespoke - not floating canvas - "good quality modern fusing" (and theres nothing wrong with that)

They used to make for Calibre, as well as AG, though dont anymore they still make for Satch.

Suits are quoted these days at 700-800, though i bought two for $1,000 with two pairs of pants each. Though cash only for this price.

They are well made, quality tailoring and free (though their response time takes ages), though the only thing i dont like is they have very wide shoulders, I regret not taking in the shoulders.

BTW go to Paresh or John, Peter/ Paul is a d*ck

13. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Are Saphir stuff really that much better than say the Grison stuff you can buy locally to justify the shipping and all the hassle?

Can't speak about Grison as I've never seen it here in Brisbane.

However, I will say that I get a good, deep, lustrous shine very easily when using Saphir. When using other polish - Kiwi, Collonil, and others - I have never managed to get such a nice shine, despite putting in a lot of effort.

Of course, perhaps I'm just very bad at shining shoes!

Obviously not all offshore MTM outfits are created equal, but I'm now wondering if at the price point I'm looking at (sub $1k) I'd be better off getting decent RTW and getting it altered.

Thanks for any insights.

Going MTM or bespoke opens up a world of options - different cloths, different cuts, different features (patch pockets, button flies, and so on) that you often don't see in off-the-rack clothes.

Also, some people are just not really suited to wearing RTW/OTR clothes.

As a consequence, going bespoke or MTM can be a good option.

However, it does bear a risk - it's less predictable than buying something off-the-rack. When you walk into Herringbone, Harrolds, Henry Bucks, MJ Bale or so on and try on a suit, what you see is what you get - there shouldn't be any surprises or unforeseen disappointments.

Therefore, if an OTR suit fits you, and if it is in a pattern/style that you like, I think that it's probably generally preferable to buying an MTM/bespoke suit.

That's just my subjective view, though.

Just a gentle reminder - Steven Aver was offshore MTM, and you had to measure yourself to boot, but I don't recall you being too critical of his operation, nor of telling people to "keep in mind" that there could be risks involved.

14. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Reading these last few posts and checking out the photos of Beggar Man Thief, Up There Store makes me think I live in a fucking overpriced, over rated sheep paddock. Oh well the booze is cheap in this town.

Mind you the other thing that is making me nostalgic is the Clarks Desert Boots had some back in the 70's.OMG I must be getting, no I am not going to say it.

15. stateless

stateless Well-Known Member

Lads,

I am in contact with Ron from Rider Boots in the US about a group order of Saphir. The $US exchange rate is great at the moment so if I can arrange a bulk buy and shipping it may work out nicely. I'll let everyone know as soon I have details.

If Ron doesn't pull through I'm happy to organize something through Valmour.

Stay tuned.

16. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

- & the point is?
    - I have been holding back some time but you seriously need to start posting pictorial substance & not your comical analysis

17. hidepenny

hidepenny Member

went to R&B and bought the navy slim cut suit for $379 including hemming, down from $1k, so i'm happy [​IMG]

at that price, i really didn't care about any quality. [​IMG]

18. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Just a gentle reminder - Steven Aver was offshore MTM, and you had to measure yourself to boot, but I don't recall you being too critical of his operation, nor of telling people to "keep in mind" that there could be risks involved.
    Not being critical at all. But, with offshore MTM (when you're not dealing directly with your cutter), there can sometimes be problems with fit/remakes etc. with even the best operations. And yes, I did say that in regards to Aver at the time. It's just something anyone needs to keep in mind when they're looking at choosing a tailor for themselves. Pernac Paris, Bentex and others I've made note of/given people advice on are all offshore MTM. I use Barrington Ayre myself via their online portal. It's made in England, but it's online MTM. I use and support the concept of such businesses, but one needs to keep their expectations within reason when using them. It isn't the same as bespoke.

19. elvish

elvish Senior member

Why do people wear (what looks like) a medal from a belt loop?

I have seen it twice on separate occasions now and seem to remember reading it's something to do with a frat or similar?

Im not a fan of the look but it has me curious. Can anyone help me?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.