1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

You always are. If I am honest I am more a linen cotton blend fan but my Tumblr name is already too long.

Also TBM did any of the Gant by Michael Bastian stuff catch your eye?

Will there be tweeders next winter too?

Thanks for your thoughts. That last point is crucial.

2. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Any of you Brissy guys used Frank down in New Farm? He used to be a tailor and have a business etc, now retired and just does alterations to keep busy. I've had a few things altered by him and reasonably happy with the quality vs the price, although he's a bit old school in that I seem to have to debate the waist suppression and length to take up the pants but ill take some debate over a tailor who gives no feedback and just does (although that is more inline with what the alterations (non tailor) people do I guess).

3. herringbonePete

herringbonePete Senior member

Quite simply, perhaps they don't want you coming back when after creasing and wear, they end up too short.
    There is no doubt that current fashion trends are shorter sleeves.

My older jackets sleeves are not too long at all, but I prefer them shorter now.

My linen jacket is a blend, not a bad idea at all.

4. aKula

aKula Senior member

If you're bespeaking clothes there is less need for alterations.

5. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Compendiums? anyone? guys? :(

6. Liber

Liber Senior member

Just left Florence and Rome. I found the majority of food around the center of Florence to be typical tourist trap shit, it was hard to find decent restaurants while on the go walking around etc. Would be wise to get a few written down/location before you head out for the day. Lot's of local restaurants/shops/supermarkets (including the central food market) close on weekends too, some only Sunday's, others all weekend.

There is 'The Mall' located 40min drive out from Florence - designer outlet with brands such as Gucci/Lanvin/Salvatore/Prada etc.... Not really a whole great deal out there to buy, Salvatore had some nice Tramezza wholecut's that we're half the price of the same shoe they had in their flagship store in town. E. Zegna had a small selection of suits too, but it just comes down to luck on the day and your sizing to determine whether you get something or not. You can catch a bus from Florence out to The Mall for 8 Euro pp.

Rome, of course is spectacular. Very touristy around the archaeological sights but the city is quite large and easy to escape and relax. Check out Trastavere (suburb - 15min walk from centre) at night before the sun sets, beautiful little cobblestone streets with heaps of restaurants (some good/some bad) to choose from. Lot's of little pop-up style restaurants/bars along the Tiber river too, nice to walk along at night.

Up near the Villa Borghese gardens is the bespoke shoemaker Bocache & Salvucci store (http://forthediscerningfew.com/tag/bocache-salvucci/) definitely worth going to have a look.

7. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

When my parents were recently travelling around Florence they came to the same conclusion.

They had to really grill the locals on where the boutique/"Armory" stores are located. They are around, but they are definitely in the minority! Surprising, as I would have thought that Florence would be riddled with owner-managed businesses that have operating for generations making suits/ties/shoes/leather goods. Alas, this is not the case.

8. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

Yep. 12oz W Bill navy linen. Drapes and falls well. But I still leave it for casual wear / friday wear.

Of course.

Check out Luciano - they've been making gloves for decades. It's in the main plaza (I'm sorry, I've lost all the addresses and I wish I could be more helpful).

"Space" is another outlet. All of their stuff is from the Prada Group. Great deals on Car Shoe.

1 person likes this.
  9. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

10. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

Anyone know where i can get a nice linen suit? Does one think it is an appropriate attire for the office?

11. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Read the last 50 posts.

12. Halifax

Halifax Senior member

All this talk about linen suits has got me wearing my 60/40 cotton/linen charcoal today.

13. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

14. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

Brisbanites

Can anyone vouch for the new Chester st Bakery and Bar? It was closed when l went there [​IMG]

It's supposed to be a filthy hot hot summer... Shorts with suit anyone?

15. burnso

burnso Senior member

16. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Are you some sort of communist or occupy agitator?

Today I put on a pair of 60/40 linen trousers I have another two pairs which will see the light of spring soon. All are linen cotton blends varying from 51/49 blend to a Lands End pair of 56/46 blend and there all Navy. The LE I would highly recommend their quite solid fabric. Contemplating another couple of pair of L/C blend trousers for summer any brand recommendations ?

As for shirts I just wear 100% linen.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  17. Halifax

Halifax Senior member

Right now I have a pale blue cotton twill on. I would have thought 100% linen shirts would suffer even more than suits re creases. Please do sell it to me GF as I have no idea about linen shirting; I only have cotton shirts but my collection is still very young. I remember several members raving about linen Kamakura shirts recently.

PS why are cotton/linen shirt blends not applicable/less preferable?

18. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

19. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Halifax

I am west of the great divide so humidity is not an issue out here, its flat dry heat. I only wear linen shirts in casual/informal situations so creasing, crumpling is not an issue I have to worry about in a business environment. For BW the same principals which apply to trousers would no doubt be applicable for shirts. The addition of cotton adds body to the linen fabric and allows for a better drape over the torso.

20. Halifax

Halifax Senior member

Cheers GF,

So the best time to start considering linen (pure or blended) shirting is when I'm in the market for more casual wears. Are there any variation on the plain linen weave?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.