1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

+1

2. wurger

wurger Senior member

a bit hard at the entry tier, since most of the boots are country boots, not dress balmoral boots.

3. wurger

wurger Senior member

4. fxh

fxh Senior member

Oh and small correction to your reading comprehension skills - I said the second last time I met you - different suit. (and you did promise you wouldn't tell anyone about the shoes)

re the rules.
    Theres a sort of clothing progression.
    If you are of a certain age or background you know the rules but being young follow fashion, break rules,go dandy, peacock etc.
    Another mob - never knew the rules except for vague notions like suits and ties being oppressive or representing The Man. Disregarding the fact that the richest people in the world wear hoodies, jeans and shirts not tucked in and that the price of a pair of "authentic "jeans and some desirable sneakers will cost as much or more as a decent suit and leather shoes..

Anyway,early on, you/one breaks or ignores or is willfully ignorant of the rules. Its a necessary process.
    Then at some stage - usually measured in older years but not always. You/one realises that the "rules" or perhaps more correctly the basics, had (and still have) a coherence and integrity.
    Many ex peacocks and dandies and flamboyant dressers - return to basic combinations and "rules". Sometimes with a slight twist or quirk that has been carried through from more experimental stages.

At this stage one/you/they always look better - its to do with confidence, a knowing that you've been on the other side (not that its always an oppositional dichotomy) and it results in a comfortable relaxed way of wearing, an almost minimalist wardrobe in numbers, styles, colours and fit.

I suppose the timid and those in a hurry, the not very bright, those who think knowledge and taste can be purchased and not learnt or earnt, or those who are lazy and not inquisitive will leap straight to the basics/rules.

But the journey itself is important and more than likely the only way to arrive at that end point with a confidence and coherence and relaxed look - that at some point the the whole is more than the sum of the parts, you look appropriate in all circumstances, you fit in but stand out as always "smart" and never aggressively over or under dressed, you look like yourself, to use the old cliche "You wear the clothes, not the clothes wear you"

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Brogued as well.

6. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

Those boots were from his RTW line - so it's just delivery times. His range can be seen here: http://edetal.sg/

I'd be happy to make the introductions; Edwin is a personal friend.

I'm working on an MTO commission with him in the near future, and I can share that turnaround time when I get around to deciding what to do with the MTO.

2 people like this.
  7. lennier

lennier Senior member

I think that was my exact outfit at the Kimber launch :) So, obviously, I agree. With the right pieces I believe it works, to me it's about the level of formality being consistent more than anything else.

8. fxh

fxh Senior member

What a bunch of untrustworthy snitches and dobbers.

9. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Was one strap artfully undone as an example of "sprezz", too??

10. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Not only do I have the tshirt...
    [​IMG]
    Anyone else coming to to the "Mr" Melbourne Spring Fashion Week tonight. I'll be there. Going home to get changed before hand though.

11. Superfudge

Superfudge Well-Known Member

I have a pair of Trickers' Stow in snuff suede with Vibram soles. Not really suitable for dressing up, but even with leather soles, I'm not a big fan of boots with suits or dress trousers, moslty because I tend toward more taperd trousers, which can look odd and speedhooks can destroy hems in a matter of hours.

12. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Hate to ask this question for the millionth time, but where's a good place to get a pair of chinos?

My MJ Bale ones fit my like bags. I'm thinking of hitting up target or country road tonight.

Need something that is fitted enough to wear casually but not too wrinkly to be worn with a blazer.

13. The Ernesto

I have some of these..

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Milano-Advantage-ChinosĀ®/345R,default,pd.html

and got some of these cheap somewhere (they are great)...

http://www.mrporter.com/product/176674

14. The Ernesto

They look good, and you love the attention.

15. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Mate, that question is so ambiguous.

Where do I buy brogues? I need a pair that are "casual, but formal", "formally casual".

Chinos are a universal pant. You can buy them from basically any menswear store. Sadly, we have no idea what you like, or what you prefer. Most of all, we don't know how much you are willing to spend, but the fact that you mentioned Target at least gives some indication. There is at least 5-10 affiliates on SF that sell chinos. In Australia, I can think of at least 10 stores that sell their own chinos. They'd love to have you rock up in your flash RMWs to try on their chinos.

16. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

You obviously liked the look of the MJbale ones you purchased, why not just take them to the tailor to get them tapered up.

17. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Nothing online, nothing I can't try on.
    $200 max.
    Low rise, standard width leg (like 501s, 503s).

18. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Walk into David Jones, then Myer then General Pants.

Ask to see all the chinos they have on offer.

You'll find something.

19. sliq

sliq Senior member

Epaulet? Country road make half decent ones. I also have a pair by Marcs (washed finish). As aforementioned, get them tapered if need be. 7.5" would be optimum, also somewhat depending on shoes paired up with.

20. fxh

fxh Senior member

For Sale: $12
    Brooks Vintage Made in USA Soft collar BD. Blue Uni/Pin stripe on white This is a vintage BB BD. Its cotton but not oxford. White ground, narrow blue stripes. The original offset cuff buttons for obsessives. Good condition no signs of wear. See pics

Size 15. Measures: Shoulders 17" - seam to seam, sleeve shoulder seam to cuff = 23.75", Collar = 15", BOC = 29.5"
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.