Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jobro

jobro Senior member

Saw some guy in seersucker pants, suede tassel loafers and a dark linen jacket this morning on the fremantle line train to Perth. Styleforumer?[​IMG]

2. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

3. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Saw some guy in seersucker pants, suede tassel loafers and a dark linen jacket this morning on the fremantle line train to Perth. Styleforumer?[​IMG]

Don't know about Perth, but I think I spotted potential SF members in Melbourne on Thursday and Friday.

Thursday morning (say 8:30am) - khaki suit, white linen pocket square, brown shoes (from memory), walking down Queen St towards Flinders St; I suspect off to the Herringbone sale since I was coming from it.

Friday at around lunch time - Navy windowpane blazer, white (silk?) pocket square, stone (?) pants and brown suede shoes. Spotted outside 500 Bourke St.

4. streetminimal

streetminimal Senior member

I just called up Alterations Now on Collin St. and asked them about the pricing for suit jacket alterations...

They were saying something like $40-$75 for just taking the waist in and around $30-$45 for shortening the sleeves.

I don't know whether or not the sleeves are done via the shoulders but are these prices about correct?

5. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Try Katrina's Designs at the top end of Bourke St.

Not sure what the prices are - but normally when I rock up with a new suit I end up paying somewhere from $50-$100 on alterations. (usually pants waist and hems, jacket waist, sleeve length and back).

6. Yika

Yika Senior member

Not sure what the prices are - but normally when I rock up with a new suit I end up paying somewhere from $50-$100 on alterations. (usually pants waist and hems, jacket waist, sleeve length and back).

$50-$100 to include all that and tidying up the back is a really good price IMO.

7. streetminimal

streetminimal Senior member

What the fack...$100 for all that is a steal!

I work on Collins St so I guess it's quite the commute there...haha.

8. blahman

blahman Senior member

Try Katrina's Designs at the top end of Bourke St. Not sure what the prices are - but normally when I rock up with a new suit I end up paying somewhere from $50-$100 on alterations. (usually pants waist and hems, jacket waist, sleeve length and back).
    Now I feel ripped off. They charge me heaps more than that! edit: Oh wait, I had to have jacket shortened and another pair of pants let out too...But still that sounds like I'm charged $50 more. P.S. just came back from Hugo Boss Outlet. Bought a Boss Selection wool tie $53. Found out I look sexy in a light purple shirt and I fit into Boss size 34US perfectly, no need to alter waist, back or even the sleeves at all. The 34 I tried on was a Cotton/Silk medium blue casual sports jacket - Queen sharp model. No way I'm paying $500 for it though.

9. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

OK - maybe I should double check my receipts! [​IMG] The last suit I had altered there cost about $100 - that was my much talked about linen suit mentioned a few weeks back. Anyhow, I had the jacket waist taken in, the sleeves taken up, the back adjusted and the pants hemmed. It might be because I typically only have a little taken in or let out and never over complicated? The other thing about them is Katerina's is they will give you a discount. When I first discovered them (and SF), I pretty much took in every suit I owned over a period of two months - I was there pretty much every week. Each time I went in the main guy would take a few bucks off here and there or round it down. Anyhow, that's how I remember it, but the responses here are questioning my memory [​IMG]

10. blahman

blahman Senior member

Last time I had things done cost me $200. Back, sides, shorten jacket, tucked in back of collar, finished sleeves, finished pant hems, tapered pants, let out 2nd pair of pants... It was originally going to be about $220. I asked them to just round it off to an even $200 and they agreed.

11. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Last time I had things done cost me $200. Back, sides, shorten jacket, tucked in back of collar, finished sleeves, finished pant hems, tapered pants, let out 2nd pair of pants... It was originally going to be about $220. I asked them to just round it off to an even $200 and they agreed.

Never had a jacket shortened, how did they go at it?

12. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Thursday morning (say 8:30am) - khaki suit, white linen pocket square, brown shoes (from memory), walking down Queen St towards Flinders St; I suspect off to the Herringbone sale since I was coming from it..
    Hah, that was me.... They were burgundy shoes though! Quite proud of myself that I managed to resist temptation at the sale.

13. blahman

blahman Senior member

Never had a jacket shortened, how did they go at it?
    No complaints there at all jacket turned out great. The only complaint I have with Katrinas is that for hemming the pants they seem to prefer doing them with a full break, but can always ask them to shorten a bit more so not really a complaint. Spotting SFer on Melbourne streets sounds easy then haha. Spot a guy with a pocket square, funky suit and shoes that are not black going down to Katrina's or one of the sales events?

14. Gassyndrome

Gassyndrome Well-Known Member

Unless DJs, Blades, John Hanna or that one on the corner of London Circuit, the name of which escapes me completely, have some, you'll probably be waiting for a Sydney trip I'm afraid.

Ken Cook Menswear? Their window displays always look great, but I've never actually been in there.

15. "6"

"6" Senior member

Hah, that was me.... They were burgundy shoes though!

Quite proud of myself that I managed to resist temptation at the sale.

Lol. Good on you. My wallet didn't fare so well, picked up a suit ($599 for a fully canvassed merino wool windowpane suit. I am only human) and a couple of wool ties.

Saw quite a lot of suits still there in various sizes. Selection of ties and shirts in my size didn't impress.

Brown cap-toe oxfords looked pretty decent - but steep ($350) for what they are (looks like Cheaney's or Loakes to me). $350 is very close to benchgrade C&J's from plal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.