1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Under the pits my shirts develop a sweat smell.

At first it only becomes noticeable when I iron them, but over time they will start to smell in the pits at any given time.

2. sliq

sliq Senior member

what JM says. use the japanese mesh bags/laundry net. they are very handy for work shirts. they even have a special bag for wool items. can be found in japanese dollar shops.

3. fxh

fxh Senior member

Oli this is dragging on. Are your shirts 100% cotton, do you sweat a lot, do you wear shirts for too long, while you are sweaty, do you use an it persperant, do you shower at least once a day, do you wash under you arms properly, do you soak shirts in napi San prior to washing, do you rinse them well, do you hang then outside in wind, rain and sunshine. If the answer is yes, then there should be no smell. Unless cat is sleeping and pissing on the shirts after they are washed.

4. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Start applying rexona clinical protection when you go to bed (wear an undershirt though the stuff can stain). This will vastly reduce you sweating and prevent this from happening again in future. Putting the shirts in a soak until ready to wash will also reduce this.

If a hot wash doesn't resolve the damage to existing shirts, stir napisan into a small amount of water and form a paste, spread it all over the smelling/affected areas. Give it 5 mins to soak in then throw in the wash.

That's all I got, goodluck and godspeed.

5. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

100% cotton. I wear my shirts from 8am until bed.

I am on a form of blood medication, its side effects include a high body temperature. So I sweat more than your average person, but with deodorant and driclor it is manageable. I like to think I wash properly.

Currently, my mother uses a Whirlpool front loader, does a quick wash setting with cold water, a quality Omo powder and then line dries.

6. bboowwyy

bboowwyy Senior member

Haha yeah, some of the clothes smell very suspicious. But i tend to stay away from them, not buy them!

Nice. I've seen a few licensed Balmain items that were made in Australia. But nothing worth picking up.
    It would be awesome to take part in their thrift trading, but unfortunately postage costs prohibit that.

7. fxh

fxh Senior member

Generally smell is little alive bugs or micronisms or something bacterial, they are alive so killings them is the go. Freshman, breeze and sunshine works remarkably well. Sticking in a bag in freezer for 24 hours works, if you sweat a lot, change shirts a lot. Don't let dirty shirts sit and absorb stains and smells. Wash them quickly or soak until ready to wash.

There are treatments to address excessive sweating, some use botox.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  8. sliq

sliq Senior member

good call. i use this as my beacon when i'm in doubt: http://vintagefashionguild.org/label-resource-a-z/

good for finding if it's real/fake, old or new.

1 person likes this.
  9. bboowwyy

bboowwyy Senior member

W
    Wow, thanks for that site. It will be very useful. I've fallen victim to buying fakes before, luckily it's only at the cost of a couple of dollars.

10. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Thanks Sliq, That's a good resource; I hadn't seen that link before.

When I started op shopping, I found this particular thread very useful for sorting out the wheat from the chaff as to what was worth picking up.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/31122/buying-a-suit-pinned

11. streetminimal

streetminimal Senior member

The last few posts have now got me thinking about putting my PJ shirts in a mesh bag (each 4 of them) and washing them with some delicate detergent in cold water...
    #caring4yourmenswear

12. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Sig worthy.

Oli you'll have to come down to the big smoke and move in with fxh. Only way this will get resolved.

13. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

--

14. ryanohare

ryanohare Senior member

Saw that mate, looks great.

15. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

The other option is Shop For Shops. Got me a dozen wide-shouldered timber suit hangars for less than $40.

Keep an eye out for bow ties on Mr Porter. I got my black satin self-tie bow from them.

[​IMG]

edit: the bow tie was from Brooks Brothers (but off the Mr Porter webstore).

16. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

Deer bone for cordovan. All day.

17. herringbonePete

herringbonePete Senior member

Quote:I wash my shirts on cold on the 15 min cycle of the front-loader and hang immediately on wooden hangers, top button done-up, shirt eased out over a hanger and shaped - on the back of the laundry door on a rack just for my workshirts. With this regimen, I reckon I get an extra 18months out of my shirts - my TM lewin shirts (worn once a week) are 3 years old and have no sign of wear - just a nice soft run-in appearance. I do occasionally use a 30 degree wash rather than a cold wash. No real shrinkage either. I do notice that every 3 months or so I get a slight build-up of dirt on the inside, a sort of patina (he he) - so I just soak them in hot water laced with vinegar for a few hours and then napisan over night. My wife accidentally put a new shirt on a hot wash and the colour bled to other shirts - one shirt seemed to attract the bleed to the armpits - whilst the armpits were not visibly stained or dirty they must have had some sort of residue. This shirt is now reserved for inside jumpers!

18. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

http://network.details.com/post/how-to-tie-a-bow-tie-gif-for-all-of-the-guys-that-always-ask

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-tie-your-own-bow-tie

One neat trick (IMHO) is to practise on your thigh just above the knee, while you're seated. My arms got tired after the first few [hundred] attempts.

19. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

[​IMG]

20. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.