Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

Think it is. IIRC it was all the Penhaligon's.

Actually, I am thinking of going back and getting some after shave balm. Was only 30 smackers. With the cooler months ahead, I don't mind a bit of balm.

2. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

Yo

You could have a look at the DJ's home brand, Milana. They're not too bad. Best bought during their clearance sales.

Might be heresy 'round these here parts, but I don't get too hung up on buying the top name driving shoes. I wear them casually. They're not going to last forever, even the good ones. I'm sure the quality is there, but I'm with you, I just can't get my head around spending $400 on a pair of suede mocs.
    (Shock. I even have a pair of Zara ones in a wine colour which cost 50 bucks, in which I have enjoyed several fun, sock less excursions)

If you want the real deal, patience will probably yield the opportunity to grab some at more reasonable prices. Eg in December, Luisa's in MEL had car shoe or Tod's (can't remember, maybe both?) for sub $200 in their sale.

3. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

http://www.mrporter.com/product/318209

Will take some serious beating, and still come out on top. Note the "Fall/Winter sole" on these driving shoes. These are pictures after 2 weeks of cobblestone in a wet summer in Europe:

http://weareallalright.tumblr.com/post/22833682080/these-driving-shoes-with-their-fall-winter-soles

http://weareallalright.tumblr.com/post/23082194668/ive-been-asked-what-fall-winter-sole-meant-in

4. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Personally I don't like watches that try to be "affordable" versions of other watches. This one looks like a poor man's IWC. I get the feeling that if I owned either of the watches you linked to it would be a constant reminder of how my life hasn't turned out quite as well as I planned, because if it had I'd be wearing an IWC.

If you like the pilot style but can't stomach paying IWC's huge premiums (which seem to rise along with the size of their watches), then I might suggest you look at Oris. At least they aren't exact copies of something more expensive.

5. Prince of Paisley

I'm not an expert in shoe contruction, but speaking from experience, that's not normal, especially for new shoes with a Topy. I've only ever had the outer sole start to seperate from the upper sole on one really old pair of goodyear shoes, and that was after several years of very hard wear, after I'd completely worn through the layer of stitching which held the outsole on to the top sole. I've never seen this happen on a Topy'd pair (actually the Topy protects the final set of stitching so it actually prevents one of the main causes of this type of separation). I would post your pics in one of the larger shoe damage or meerkat threads, as some of the blokes that post regularly there are very knowledgeable (e.g. fishball, DWFII etc.) and may be able to pinpoint exactly what's gone wrong with your pair.

6. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

So these £223.68 shoes are somewhat durable? Wow!

:/

Driving mocs are a racket.

7. Prince of Paisley

Maybe the value becomes apparent when you're doubling the clutch on your 356 as you climb an alpine pass, but that's not a situation most of us encounter everyday unfortunately.

8. boff

boff Senior member

If you're flush - how about one of these? More of satchel kind of thing but still has a shoulder strap if required.

[​IMG]

9. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

this is a beautiful bag... such a soft hide. I was drooling over the one @ MLC

For my needs I need a slimmer tote style rather than strapped so I decided not to pull the trigger

10. aKula

aKula Senior member

I'm very happy with my briefcase from Henry Tomkins.
    http://www.htleather.co.uk/

11. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

This pair, in particlar, is

(a) 183 GBP (not 223 GBP), which makes them about 270 AUD, and which makes them respectably cheaper than 400 AUD; and

(b) significantly more than 'somewhat' durable - which was something I tried to put across, but evidently wasn't successful in doing

12. fxh

fxh Senior member

Most of the expensive ones are about as durable as a pair of light slippers.
    Part of the attraction is the signal that you can afford to wear soft expensive shoes that wear out in a week or two and then buy a new pair!

Depending what you want there are realistic alternatives:
    http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/7063...attrValue_0=Chocolate Brown&productId=1179636

13. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

May I also suggest Archimede as a possible option?

Quite affordable, and if I remember correctly, it was one of the first companies to manufacture the classic "B-Uhren" pilot watches, along with other companies such as Stowa (which you may also wish to consider). Stowa's Fleiger watch is a classic B-Uhren watch, and the "Antea" is a lovely dress watch with a sub-dial for seconds.

Archimede have some lovely models and I think that if you pay an extra 20 Euro, you can get a "blank" face without any branding for a retro, WWII pilot-watch look (although that may only apply to certain models).

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  14. aussiejake

aussiejake Senior member

Not a fan. How big is the face of your Max Bill? They wear large, but I'm guessing somewhere in the range of 36-38mm, which leaves a bit step up to those Steinharts.

15. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Which one did you get, aKula?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.