1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

I've looked at the TM Lewins, unfortunately their sizing looks strange and they're yet to do a light blue :(

I'm trying that Jerymn St Company next and then calling it quits on online orders.

FWIW - this is my 4th month of using the same M3 razor....

2. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

To be fair, collectively a lot of time is spent staring at them.

2 people like this.
  3. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I could be wrong, as it's a while since I've heard anything about P.Johnson's pricing, but my understanding was that $1800 would be about the cost of a hand-finished suit made in the Netherlands, not in Italy.

Yes, exactly. I don't know about PJ Roma, but I've heard that PJ Napoli is made by Orazio Luciano's La Vera Sartoria in Naples and that it is much more expensive than the suits and jackets made in the Netherlands.

I'd be interested in hearing more about PJ Roma, and how it differs in price and finishing from the PJ Napoli clothing by La Vera.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  4. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Foxing in Menswear

http://linenforsummertweedforwinter...6/milstil-frayed-edges-the-english-upperclass

http://linenforsummertweedforwinter...13/theasmontichronicles-sheer-perfection-your

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-408060/The-style-rules.html

"Foxed shirts (ie, those that have begun to look a little threadbare on the collars and cuffs) are probably the only ones you need to wear at the weekend. ...

... 4) Bin anything soiled or torn (apart from your foxed shirts)."

5. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Have you looked at the Kamakura's? Just got a nice mid spread light blue broadcloth from them which is great.

6. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

lol. Good point.

7. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Books (as well as mirrors and shirt collars and cuffs) also develop foxing - where the edges of the pages turn a bit yellowish-brown and the pages sometimes get little brownish spots on them.

8. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

I was aware of the toffs' love of a frayed cuff or collar, but had no idea it had a name.

9. Romp

Romp Senior member

La Vera = Napoli line

There are 2-3 workshops they work with in Italy altogether for suits depending on finish etc

10. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

Depends on the quality... A lot.

You can get away with <20-30$

However something like
    $60+ $60 + $25x2 +$15 + $40 is more reasonable (prices out for each object). I tend to enjoy very aggressive setups so I'm possibly not the best person to ask for recommendations. Note that razor braded bowls and stands for thing other than your brush are aesthetics over function.

I've got a spare cheapie (that isn't too aggressive) if you just want to try.

11. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

I'd highly reccommend one of the starter kits from MensBiz. One of these:
    http://www.mensbiz.com.au/mens-biz-budget-wetshaving-kit.html http://www.mensbiz.com.au/mens-biz-deluxe-wetshaving-kit.html http://www.mensbiz.com.au/mens-biz-standard-wetshaving-kit.html

All great products, very good pricing and the world's fastest shipping (I ordered about 3pm one afternoon and it was at by house at 10am the next day from Melbourne to Sydney.

I'd say it's worth going for the pricier one with the silvertip brush. And it's very smart to start with the blade starter pack, as there are no universal blades that work for everyone.

12. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

I can't do it anymore. I've lost so much money with online ordering. Only time it works is with one-sized items (eg bags, watches, ties).

This isn't to mention all the time you have to spend researching different brands/styles/fabrics to guesstimate whether something will fit.

If this fails ill just cross my fingers that MJ Bale do some decent shirts in the future, or beg my mum to go halves in a shirt from suit shop...

13. BaldwinP

BaldwinP Senior member

Which type of CT shirt did you buy? I've bought a number of their shirts but only the "Sea Island" quality ones (at times when they've been on an actual good sale, and not just their regular "sale" prices) and they've served me very well through many more washes than that.

14. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Oli, in my experience (learnt by making mistakes) - it is better to have 5 shirts that you are actually happy with than 15 you are never quite satisfied with. Therefore, it might be better to look into Suit Shop etc.

The other option could be places like Mr Porter or Far Fetch that do free worldwide returns. Mr Porter also offers good sizing info (though you might need to wait until a sale for pricing to be better) and other site are usual happy to answer questions. Or maybe bricks and mortar shops like Henry Bucks (esp. if on sale) or Herringbone (cannot remember if you tried them) are a better option.

Apart from very casual shirts, I get all my shirts from P Johnson now (though may visit the Ascot Chang Trunk Show out of interest). Although this is not the cheapest option I only buy a few each time, about once a year (and have now build an OK collection) and get shirts I am really happy with (instead of always wishing they were better). I am aware I am lucky to be able to do this, but I plan and prioritise my spending according (or at least try to).

15. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Another option would be to get a one off from PJ or Suit Shop, then use that as a measurement template for trying out some of the more affordable online MTM options out there.

16. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

That's the plan - i essentially want 6 work shirts and then 3-4 OCBDs for weekends.

It's just frustrating in that I have 3 MJ Bale shirts from last year I got at $50 a pop. Biggest regret is listening to my mother that I 'didn't need' 5 of the same shirts...

Ordered a shirt from cottonwork in may and I'm yet to see it...

17. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Ssshhh....Romp might be reading! Ha, no this could work too (if you trust yourself with the measurements and the company you sent it to to measure the same way). Other option is to send them the shirt to copy.

For me, I like being able to talk, feel and look through the options, and leave the measuring to someone more experience.

18. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Which is worse? #dressedbytheinternet or #dressedbyyourmother?

Have faith in yourself Oli!

19. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

What's the excuse from cottonwork? I've never waited more than about 4 weeks.

I've actually found shirts to be fairly easy to order online, assuming measurements are posted. I've always just compared to well fitting shirts I already have. I've always found the Kamakura to be very consistent with the measurements posted online.

20. Superfudge

Superfudge Well-Known Member

I remember Put This On had an article that was along the lines of "if you find something you like, buy 5". Sage advice, at least for staples. One can never have too many blue cotton shirsts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.