• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusty Brogues

Reaction score

Settle down lads, just poking fun at his shoe size.
I though we were all buddies her in the Good Ol' Aussie Forum!

Maybe the first step to reconciliation is changing your avatar. I know Michael Sy for one is terrified of it!

Any suggestions?

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might look into that later in the year. It looks like I'm heading to Chicago and NYC in September/October to suss out some job opportunities, so I'm going to be saving my dollars until then, I think.

Apart from 2 purchases.

CHECKstar

Reaction score

lachy - That looks much better - I think you could go an even looser shirt and higher waist on trousers. Would flatter you even more.

If you were paying me to advise you on clothes and their fit I'd say lose the checks if wearing a tie or wear the small checks without tie, and go with pale blue or white on blue background university stripe shirt and get rid of the cuffs on the trousers and then get shoes not boots and perhaps suede not shiny leather or get a duller shine on leather. And lose the pocket hankie on that outfit.

But you aren't paying me so I won't offer the high end advance detail advice.

It still looks good though.

edit:: Looks like you have a longer torso than legs in proportion - is that so? If so what I said makes even more sense than I usually do.

edit2:: and get rid of those plastic hose fittings - I found that swapping to brass isn't much more expensive and stops stupid leaks and ends popping off under pressure.

FXH, interested if you could elaborate or provide your usually well articulated thesis on no checks with a tie comment?

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
checky - re no checks with ties.
I was talking mainly about lachy and only going on the photos I had in front of me. I think its not for him - in that configuration. My sense is he has a loooong torso - compared to legs. So do I.

Its not really a rule , but if there was to be a few useful rules for basic, (assuming theres, {1}Basic, {2}Graduate, {2.5}Post Grad and then {5}Basic Revisited, as a hierarchy), then no broad band checks with a tie would be a useful rule for basic.

The broader the colour band the more casual looking the shirt or the less formal the shirt. This varies a bit with say the English type striped shirt where a broad line can still be ok to wear with a tie , but then you'll often see it described as business casual (means a different thing in UK to USA) and it is worn both with and without a tie say in broad candy stripes. Still broader stripe usually means less formal. I think you can see it looks less formal as well.

When you go into checks, or plaids as our US brethren would say, its definitely casual/leisure/sport/country/beach/long weekend - the thicker the lines in a check. The further away from formal the less a tie works. Unless perhaps you have a hierarchy of ties - say down to a very informal wool or cotton knit square-end tie. But most people don't compute a level of formality in ties - except us clothes nerds - or sometimes people do but not on a conscious level they can articulate. So to most a tie is a tie. I see too many people in "sports shirts" and ties. Big bold checks and ties. If it works at all it works as casual smart, with jacket to break up the huge grid pattern offered to the viewer. It works best on tall very skinny guys who can do with the bulk the broad check imparts.

I have seen the odd, very odd large check work, with a jacket and tie - perhaps a weak faded pink check on white or blue background, but mostly its too hard to pull off.

OTOH fine almost indistinguishable checks lines on a shirt are superb. The shirt that looks solid white or blue or pink until you get close and then you see the thin pink or red or blue or grey line checks. Even a check up close-ish in size to gingham sometimes works with jacket and tie. But its harder to do and a lot of people just throw it on to "be different"

edit:: then theres the whole other bit of what context its in and what message you are trying to send out and to whom. I think I've seen Christian do the check shirt with tie well enough when doing the "hip young mens clothing shop dude" schtick.

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lachy - as far as losing 2 or 3 kilos - my experience - with others and a tiny bit myself - is that as you get older - over 24 or so - you will fluctuate up and down with putting on width around waist and tummy.

As far as clothes go then weight isn't an issue - waist and stomach are the main issues - this will always fluctuate somewhat and its wise to take this into account. So that when you have put on width then you can get your clothes a slight bit tight if you are at your zenith and when you are skinny get the clothes a bit loose.

Its common to let waists on trousers in and out an inch at different times - jackets its a bit harder but the same principal is there. Don't buy for what you "hope" to get to. Buy for what you are now and what you know you may fluctuate to.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its Lunar New Year - I'm all full of good will, dumplings, Taiwan Pop Chicken, Pigs Blood Shashlicks, but couldn't find any Stinky Tofu at the night market.

Last edited:

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Owen & James Lapel Flower

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads