1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

No, you're not 'supposed' to at all.

2. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Yes you are, if you read the interview threads on SF. But that's because they are all giving advice to Americans. And Americans are expected to dress a lot more conservatively in the corporate world, and even more so at interviews, as a rule.

3. fxh

fxh Senior member

Mate - think others have already said the right advice. {Mainly stop reading forums for interview advice.} If the way you were dressed had much influence on employment there would be a lot more unemployment at very high levels. I'm willing to bet that if you have a navy suit that nearly fits, and clean leather shoes you will be better dressed than your interviewers or most of their employees. If its consulting they will be dressed in a light grey suit and open necked shirts and crappy shoes. Dress like you are a young bloke hoping to suck up and be given a chance to "research" for a while (that means cut and paste from other reports - the backbone of big firm consulting - , photocopying, do graphs in excel, prepare Power Point presentations, make pulled from anywhere hunches look sciencey, believe in the firms nonsense, spout fashionable consulting cliches, and collate surveys of questionable validity) - I'd say white shirt, blue tie, clean shoes, clean shirt, clean fingernails, don't worry about hair, although I'm not a fan of the high on top short on sides boy band look - theres nothing wrong with it. Breath in breath out. Tell them you are prepared to work silly long hours to fit in and pretend boring work is cutting edge. Good luck.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
    3 people like this.
  4. fxh

fxh Senior member

On the shoes - whilst I may look like a teenager I've actually been around the block a few times and worked at many different levels. I have not worked directly for a big multinational corporation as an employee. I have however worked alongside their people. I could count on one hand the number of grown men who could tell the difference between open laced shoes and close laced.

5. Romp

Romp Senior member

This is the only thing you are allowed to wear to an interview.

You must not sit down to break the line of the leg, you must wear a black circle on your face to not distract from your carefully considered interview "fit". Robot pose should be held at all times, even when taking selfies with an iphone. Ignore 95% of what I say, accept 5%, which 5% is up to you.

[​IMG]

6. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

+1. Most senior partners/managers anywhere dress poorly, although the female managers (what few there are) typically dress better than the men.

Just dress neatly and fairly conservatively and you will be fine in terms of appearance.

7. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Popular interview brain teaser, rephrased for this audience. 95% of styleforum posters lie about the appropriateness of interview attire, and 5% tell the truth. If you have a question about the appropriateness of french cuffs, what is one question you could post to ensure that 100% of the time, you got the correct answer?

8. fxh

fxh Senior member

Describe the difference between a French Cuff, a French Letter, a French Kiss and a Glasgow Kiss and a soixante-neuf. Are they legal in Australia. Which one is most relevant to your position here?

1 person likes this.
  9. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Above all, promote synergy. If you can't do that, what the fuck are you getting an interview for in the first place?

10. wurger

wurger Senior member

So true, out of the 20 people I work with, I am the only one with close lacing shoes, oxfords are just not common here.

11. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Who is synergy and what did they do to deserve to be promoted?

12. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
  13. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Navy is my ultimate 'go-to' suit as its more flattering/democratic.

Black RMWs are my 'go-to' shoes, but it seems to be a regional lawyer thing...

14. Romp

Romp Senior member

[​IMG]

one of our photo shoot shots came back pretty happy with it .. shoes courtesy of Double Monk

15. wurger

wurger Senior member

Nothing against RMW boots, but why the preference over dress shoes in the city?

16. wurger

wurger Senior member

Very sleek, nice choice of architecture too

17. kayhill

kayhill Senior member

Mate, have I got some tips for you; I must have read your mind prophetically: http://greedanddisgust.blogspot.com.au/

In all seriousness, any of what you have suggested will do. As long as it fits, and is not too out there, you'll let who you are do the talking, not what you're wearing.

18. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

1. I'm not in it.
    2. I really hate ordering shoes from the other side of the world to find they dont fit.

19. FredAstaire1899

FredAstaire1899 Senior member

Don't forget that back in the history, evening pumps, i.e., patent wholecut loafers with a bow, were the most formal men's shoe.

20. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

Looking good, great location shot if I am correct it is the Harry Seidler designed house in the Southern Highlands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.