1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

If I'm a 9.5F in Grensons, would that make me a 9G in their boots?

2. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

After I get a few shirts my next purchase will be RMW suede chukkas.

3. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

He runs P.Johnson Tailors in Paddington, named after himself
    FYI some samples arrived today - I like the E82 edward green last! Unfortunately everything arrived in Patricks size so we dont have all the try-ons yet.

Just charging same as dub monk

Double Monk is much better value than HB fyi

DJ anderson cloth is nice. FWIW PJT have a 2nd shirt maker now - he is a guy who patrick considers as top 5 in the world from Poland. CEP came in the other day and picked one up with a button down - probably the nicest collar roll ive ever seen and the MOP the most lustre of any button ive seen

4. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Well-Known Member

Hey Rob

See you guys at Pat's tomorrow. Popping in to look at some dark blue suiting fabrics...

5. lachyzee

lachyzee Well-Known Member

Luke Darcy needs some longer socks. Calves all over my TV.

6. Plestor

Plestor Well-Known Member

Normally I'd be keen but I'm actually going to be in melbourne.

7. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

Cool ill be in. PJT just received the new season books .. will be a good chance to look through in more detail;) remind me to show you the delfino

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  8. acinod

acinod Well-Known Member

Ascot Chang coming to Melbourne looks like a good opportunity. I was going to visit him when I go to HK next year but seems like I might not have to anymore.

But at $250-$300 is this way too much for a student still only applying for internships?

9. sliq

sliq Well-Known Member

when I was fresh out of law school, I wouldn't have even considered buying a $100 shirt let alone a $250 shirt. tough times then, and I was starting to build a wardrobe. I'd say, if its your first few shirts, consider OTR first. only when you know precisely what you want, I would suggest you go down the bespoke shirt route. much like buying suits.

10. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

One last question re shirts -

I notice a lot of brands have an 'easy iron' finish. I'm guessing this means they've been somehow chemically treated.

Does this effect their breathability? if so, with breathability improve as the easy iron finish fades?

11. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

I strolled through DJs tonight on the way to RACV for a private room dinner. I wasn't paying.
    Copped a squiz at Pantharella Socks in Argyles - nice and thick BUT not very appealing colours and NOT OTC @$43 - wtf!!!!

Nice looking lighter blue linen buggy lined jacket with patch pockets, swelled edges in RL. $1,000 though - couldn't tell if it was a bum freezer or not.

Huge queue outside of Shanghai (is that it??) dumplings in Little Bourke

RACV boring and predictable gathering place of lumpenbourgeoisie as usual.

12. coxaca

coxaca Well-Known Member

Wow, so this Polish guy can make shirts AND buttons too? That's really impressive.

13. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

I see MJBale is opening a Canberra store, good news for Canberra although im surprised they would open a store there before Brisbane (purely just based off market size). Perhaps they figure it will be easier to manage/stock, logisticalling being closer to H/O.

14. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

MJ Bale had a "pop up" store in Brisbane for about six months in 2011 and they did a poor job of it, in my opinion. It was in a small space that was slightly off the beaten track and a lot of the stock was, it seemed, stuff that wasn't selling well down south so it was sent up to Brisbane to see if it would sell. The shirts, in particular, were poorly selected and they also had some really odd suits with differently-coloured buttonholes and a different finish on the lapels and other such things.

Let's hope that they go to more effort with the Canberra store!

15. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

Yeah not surprising it failed then if thats what it was like. If they set up a proper store akin to the Sydney ones (and stocked it properly...thought that would be a given, but just in case its not!) I don't know how it wouldnt do well, they seem to offer some of the most affordable style/price in Aus for off the rack clothing.

16. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

Na just sources really good ones.. Might be Gritti

17. wishiwasricher

wishiwasricher Well-Known Member

MJ Bale should do well in the Canberra market. There are large numbers of Public servants who wear suits to work and i think MJ Bale will slot nicely in for those who arent up to the John Hanna standard but want more than the usual Roger David wares.

18. wooparse

wooparse Member

Is it just me or is the Melbourne store a little funny on stock levels as well? At least in regards to suit separates and chinos? Excellent shirt selection though

woop

EDIT: MJ Bale

19. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Well-Known Member

Tried a few things in the Melbourne store, all too damn skinny! There was a nice checked coat, if I sized up, but the sleeves would have needed a lot of work.

There's a bit in DJs in Brisbane, but its the cheaper Chinese made stuff, and crammed onto shelves with the classic DJs lack of care.

It's a damn shame, as the first two seasons of MJB, where it was pretty much rebadged Made in Japan Herringbone, was really quite nice!

20. tobiasj

tobiasj Well-Known Member

I can't help but think there's a good chance MJ Bale will become increasingly fashiony and drop the price/quality ratio over time. Is there really room for two Herringbones?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.