1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coxaca

coxaca Senior member

Timely advice indeed. It's 39 in the shade here in Shanghai, "feels like" 43 with humidity factored in. Overnight low this morning was 32. All of which called for extreme measures to be deployed in today's fit:

[​IMG]

Shirt: linen (Canali)
    Shorts: seersucker cotton (Stylecraft)
    Watch: Panerai
    Shoes: distressed suede (Santoni)
    Leg hair: model's own

2. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Interesting seems like a very accommodating place for customisations vs price. I like the look of the dark brown briefcase lite. Which one did you go for?

3. El QUaG

El QUaG Senior member

Definitely size down one. I'm a TTS 32 and sized down to 31 in the ST-100x.

The ST is a slim and tapered cut. I was after the smaller leg opening combined with a slim fit, without the "skin tight" look often found with wearers of Nudie Jeans and Cheap Mondays for example -- no arse-hanging-out-of-jeans look for me thank you. It's a modern cut, with a real "softeness" in the denim as already mentioned.

My pair when first worn, was unexpectedly tight around the waist with top button done up. After five or so wears, it has since stretched comfortably around waist and thighs/knees. I didn't bother with any soaking prior to breaking in. You will experience a lot of denim bleeding however (lots of blue hands and avoid wearing with light coloured sneakers/shoes, especially on a rainy day).

I have worn my pair a lot this current winter season, at least once or twice a weekend. They're really comfortable and I look forward to them aging over the next few years with continued wear.

I would strongly recommend hemming, because the inseam is massive at 37". I'm relatively tall at 6 foot and the stacking was excessive. Touch base with Mikhail Zenon and he'll sort you out proper for around $30 to precisely replicate the chainstitching originally applied. Mikhail is based in Sydney but also does interstate jobs with mailing.

For those who choose not to wash their denim, I can also recommend the Australian brand MR BLACK to "refresh" your denim. It reminds me of Febreeze (in a good way) but for denim. Removes the funky odour build up from hundreds of hours of wear without washing. I was surprised to find this brand sold throughout Europe during my recent holiday. It's a unique product which took an Australian to develop and release. It is also easily and cheaply available at General Pants and Glue Store for example.

1 person likes this.
  4. Romp

Romp Senior member

5. fxh

fxh Senior member

I'm getting out of touch more and more. I just wash stuff.

And soon it wont be possible to buy socks the way things are going.

6. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

+1 on Mikhail Zenon to what El Quag was saying earlier.

And just generally plus one to all of his post now that I read it again.

7. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Oooh, I hope they do!

That's actually a great song. They're my favourite band of all time, and I would love to see them. So yes, I will go with you Friday.

Anyway. It's funny that you guys mentioned that fit of James bond, I made this the other day.
    [​IMG]

8. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

I've ordered the Essential briefcase, plus a shoulder strap. I went for burgundy as the colour; he has other colours beyond what's on the site.

Henry is not registered, so there's no VAT deduction. I think shipping was £60. Still cheaper than retail here. Turnaround is about a month now, plus shipping time.

9. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Feit shoes. Definitely. Australian made too.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tobiasj [​IMG]

This makes me sad. I know the tie + v-neck + odd trousers look is a bit nerdy/dadcore/high school teacher, but something about it is buried in my clothing dna (I think Dad used to go for this look, way back when he used to work for Telecom), and I wear it a lot in winter. Frankly it's more comfortable than wearing a coat all day, and it requires less thought in the morning as well.

Who's with me?

...Anyone?

LM is 100% with you. He's also a high school teacher ;).

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  10. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

I keep meaning to post up a review of mine. I bought their Essential, without the shoulder strap. I got it from their reseller in Camden Markets. Again, no VAT reduction, but no shipping charge either! The reseller had 1-2 of each model. Apparently sometimes Henry himself does the drive from Devon to London, to drop off gear!

11. StreekG

StreekG Member

Hey everyone,

Been meaning to post more in this forum. Although my purchasing of clothes have come to a temporary halt in the last couple of months due to buying a house, after settlement i'll be back on track.

My first post in here went unnoticed, so i figured i'd post some before and after pics of my new direction which took place around March this year.
    These two pictures would illustrate my typical style, while i don't actually find anything wrong with them, i know you guys won't like it. I felt i needed a new style.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Since march i've managed to get a few different fits and i'm happy with what i have so far.
    Below are some favourites.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope you guys like the change, i still have a lot to go, and have been taking a lot of advice from others, Papa and Moda i know here have helped contribute.
    My next purchase am waiting on is the Museum Calf MTO from Meermin, i'm really excited for these.

I still don't have enough variety with my shoes, at the moment i have
    Grenson Dylan grey suede
    Meermin dark brown Double Monk in suede
    Milana (David Jones brand) suede Derby in blue
    I have some extreme casual shoes like a black pair of Adidas sneakers but i don't wear them much.

I have stocked up on all sorts of knitwear and chinos, still need some more shirts and at some point i'll add a blazer and trouser combo in, but all in due time.

12. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Maybe it's just me but I actually like the jeans and t-shirt looks you've posted. The fit looks good.

13. StreekG

StreekG Member

Thanks, i still like this style and will wear here and there, however after posting in another fashion thread (on an overclocking forum) it helped me realise i needed to build up an alternative wardrobe. There are a few items i have disposed of like poorly fitted shirts from YD, however the clothes i have pictured, i still own and wear on occasion.

14. fxh

fxh Senior member

I did say it'd only be encouraging GN to get kitted up in a ac/dc or Poison t shirt or a defacto beater. This stuff isn't far below the surface here.

15. Romp

Romp Senior member

Cool man - as long as you enjoy it and are happy with the new look I think its great. Id say most guys here are still developing their own style as it takes time.. lots of time and experimenting.

Im considering this Billy Kirk bag although ive read reviews that they are quite heavy due to all the brass hardware and framing. I like the combo of leather/canvas and the colour/style. I also dont mind the totes but they can look quite feminine

16. Lowly Public Servant

Lowly Public Servant Well-Known Member

Well, since moving to Sydney a month ago I've got to say that this place is great. I've visited often but never lived here before and now I'm wondering why I didn't make the move sooner. While I will miss a few things about Canberra, a winter's day with a temperature of 23 more than makes up for the things I've left behind. I think I'll be calling Sydney home for a good long time.

One thing I've noticed is that there are lots and lots of women (and some men) wearing Burberry scarves. Can anyone shed some light on why so many people are wearing specifically Burberry scarves? Is there some sort of 'Burberry cult' in town?

LPS

17. iSurg

iSurg Senior member

If part of the burberry cult is mainland chinese, then yes - there is some in town. lol.

I get what you're saying. I guess it's marketed as an affordable luxury item.
    In the entire scheme of womenswear, I'd say it's one of the items that will be kept for longer than others.
    Can't comment on quality because I've never owned one.

18. sliq

sliq Senior member

don't even get me started on Mainland Chinese. my old tenants just moved out. they ransacked/destroyed the place. [​IMG]

19. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Don't let your love of Val Doonican get in the way of the truth - just remember that every rose has its thorn ...

20. fxh

fxh Senior member

Gerry, after seeing the fillum last week, I'll be getting out my Liberace street wear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.