1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxh

fxh Senior member

foxy - welcome.

Makes a change from the usual here of pics of young blokes trying to dress like old men and old men trying to dress like young blokes.

And I promise I won't say anything about your sticky uppy hair do.

2. Romp

Romp Senior member

thanks - will see how it goes. Returns same as everything on our site - original condition with tags we will do one exchange or a refund. We do not pay the return postage though.

Yeah - 220AUD free shipping - just loaded them up tonight .. very limited stock as production quantities are done in small batches so we got our hands on what we could. They way I see it is that I cant compete with Selfedge/3Sixteen with their free global shipping but I can have a locally competitive price for Aussies - the FX and international shipping will make us more exxy to the rest of world

3. SeanT

SeanT New Member

Hey there! I just came across this thread while doing some searching... and I was wondering if I could ask for a bit of advice! I hope this isn't too long.

I've just started working in a less formal job (from suit & tie). I'm having some trouble dressing down for it. I have been wearing open dress shirts with chinos (or should I say cotton trousers, tucked in of course), and dark brown or snuff suede shoes. My question is, what coat or jacket do I wear? A sport coat/blazer is in the no-go zone for this job. I'm lost because there's nobody wearing a coat most of the time. They just wear a shirt and pants as usual, and ramp up the heating...

I'm already verging on the dandy. I get called out on occasion for what I wear, even though I blend in pretty well. I think it's partly because the other people are a bit older then me, so things like cardigans/sweaters have a certain look on me...

Does anybody have any other ideas for coats or jackets that can be worn instead of a blazer - much appreciated. So far I have looked at Aspesi (might be good), Barbour (not my thing). It also looks like puffer vests can be worn with shirt and chinos, but I haven't seen too many of those around... I was also thinking about pea coats, this might be an O.K. look.

[​IMG]

4. jmills

jmills Senior member

Anyone that's owned a pair of 3x16 before have an opinion on how to size them - to take into account the stretching that happens in the waist? Size down by one perhaps?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  5. Romp

Romp Senior member

m65 jacket are good (esp the aspesi one) for these occassions. Guido who works in a similar environment seems to wear m65s and knits alot

Pjohnson have some very cool hunting jackets coming soon too :)

I wear mine on weekends only - im a 33in in true to size trousers and I got the 32 in 3sixteen SL cut. They were snug at first and after a month they have relaxed and really comfy. I would be a 31 in APC NS

In the CS cut they are looser in the leg and cut off a vintage pair of 1947 Levi 501s.. id size down to a 31 on those and can button them up comfortably. I can squeeze into a 30 too but ultra tight on the waist line.

6. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

I used the measurement chart on Self Edge
    Sl-100x
    Can't find the other model sadly.
    I usually wear a 36-34 and went with 34 for the sl-100x; fitted perfectly for a long time; but recently I started lifting weights again and the thighs are getting snugger and snugger (still good for now at least).
    EDIT: See Romp beat me too it :p Will definitely go with the CS next time; always wanted to try a vintage cut but could never afford Sugar Canes signature 1947 repro.
    Romp any thoughts on stocking the t-shirts? I really liked them at the mini collection at Melbourne!

7. Romp

Romp Senior member

yeah we can stock anything :)

8. fxh

fxh Senior member

Romp - you didn't mean a REAL M65? - They are outdoor and as heavy as buggery

9. Romp

Romp Senior member

Nope m65 style jacket in light weight cotton .. 3x1, aspesi, Nike, Barbour, muji, beams all make them

10. fxh

fxh Senior member

Ok

Its something I'd expect to see look ok in a cheap knock off actually

11. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

thanks fxh.

hope everyone is having a ripper night!!!!

12. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

I have a real m65 and I wear it a lot. This is in Canberra tho so ymmv. Given its still toasty at ~-5 I have no idea how cold it would have to be to use the button liner tho.

13. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Daughters baptism today. Due to the Catholicism being on my wife's side of the family and us not being churchgoers, I figured the level of dress would be a bit higher for mass and was very disappointed last week when we had the presentation to find that anything goes, including Tracky dacks. I guess they are just happy if you turn up these days...... Could be that we are in a town of only 25,000 too. I felt very overdressed in flannels. Will likely wear a SC, OCBD, denim and chukkas to fit in.

14. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

Stuff what others wear Jas; your daughter will look back and be proud of how well dressed Dad was!

15. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

I'm a TTS size 33 got a size 32 in the ST-100x. I only have time to wear denim on the weekends and didn't have the patience to stretch them out (or want to look like my jeans were painted on). That's why I didn't get a pair that was 2 sizes down.

Also, after reading that the 3Sixteens didn't stretch as much as APCs, I didn't venture into 2 sizes down.

I've shed some pounds and the 32 is now perfect. I'm a 31" waist now - if that is helpful.

I have a real m65 and it's really toasty. The lining on the sleeves catches on everything, though.

And yes, the button liner doesn't see any action at all haha.

16. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Waiting for summer .......
    Grenson suede loafer
    Hugo Boss belt
    [​IMG]

17. md2010

md2010 Senior member

I went to one last year. Yeah most people turned up in runners , T shirts and jeans. Father of the child had a heavily faded black suit on. I was over dressed even in khaki pants and navy blazer.

18. coxaca

coxaca Senior member

I really like this loden jacket from Aspesi.

[​IMG]

Not seen: elbow patches.

I like the pockets - somehow they seem rather Tyrolean to me. The entire garment just looks really soft and comfy, while still retaining some style.

Works out to around A$500 shipped to Australia, from the Aspesi website.

Do Aspesi have any retailers in Australia? Romp, do you guys happen to ship this sort of stuff?

19. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Man, I haven't been to church in years. A lot of blazers and tweed from memory. Demographic would be changing though.

20. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

^ Last time I went to mass it was under duress and it had some dip wit playing guitar in the feelgood manner of Hillsong. As a child I enjoyed the theatrics of the Latin mass, now with Romes iniquities constantly being aired i doubt I could honestly set foot in side a church.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.